What kind of clothes allowed in the MDR?

tostadas

Will be cruising on the Legend (7day) for the first time with my gf. We're in our early 20s. My goal is to pack light, hopefully fitting everything into a single rolling carry-on so that I dont have to deal with luggage check in on the plane.

For days out at port, I plan to wear sandals/tennis shoes, shorts, and a tshirt.

What kind of dress code is appropriate in the MDR (for all meals)? sandals/tennis shoes/dress shoes, tshirt/polo/button-up, shorts/khakis/dress pants?

although i'd prefer to bring as little as possible, I also don't want to feel underdressed at meals.

You can wear anything and not worry about it from what I gathered here.

My girlfriend and I just ordered our MDR outfits.

2hp3zt4.jpg

ETA seriously though, just being facetious.

Host Mach posted up the good info. Though there is a small contingent here who think the rules should be broken in the MDR when they feel like it. Ignore them. Go with the post below mine in all seriousness.

Not so...

From Carnival...

Dining Room - Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code

• Gentlemen: sport slacks; khakis; jeans (no cut-offs); dress shorts (long); collared sport shirts
  • Ladies: casual dresses; casual skirts; casual pants; blouses; summer dresses; Capri pants; dress shorts; jeans (no cut-offs)

Not permitted in the dining room: gym shorts; basketball shorts; beach flip-flops; bathing suit attire; cut-off jeans; sleeveless shirts for men; baseball hats.

Dining Room - Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code

• Gentlemen: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to bring suits and ties or tuxedos.
  • Ladies: cocktail dresses; pantsuits; elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to bring evening gowns.

Not permitted in the dining room: shorts; T-shirts; beach flip-flops; bathing suit attire; jeans; cut-off jeans; sleeveless shirts for men; sportswear; baseball hats.

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.html

:)

I just returned home from a cruise on Glory this past Sunday. We dressed for dinner every night and I was pleased to see that so many others did also. I didn't see any shorts, flip flops etc in the MDR.

men will not be allowed in the MDR at any time if they are wearing muscle/sleeveless shirts. Had a friend have this happen to him at breakfast!

Also, on the Inspiration..this same man had to come to dinner on cruise elegant night in jeans..and was admitted no problem... his wife had packed the wrong dress pants..a size too small!

The dress code is already listed so I won't put it on here again. If you want to be "safe" I would opt for khakis pants, khaki shorts or regular slacks with a polo/button down shirt on regular nights and at least slacks, collar shirt and tie for elegant nights. If you pack neutral colors, (like a pair of black slacks, khaki color pants..etc) you can wear them more than once and just switch out the shirts.

You will see some people more dressed than that and some less than dressy. From my experience most people do make an effort to clean up and look nicer at dinner than they do during the daytime.

As already mentioned, you there will be a few passengers that may try to push the limits and don't make an effort, but it seems to always only be a few people and not the whole ship or the norm.

Have a good trip!

Dress up...C'mon when else do you get a chance too? DH and I both REALLY enjoy dressing up for dinner on all cruises. We go pretty formal. We get great pictures.

I almost BET your GF would love the opportunity to both play dress up and to see you all snazzy. It makes for a romantic night ;)

BTW I am VERY curious so I have to ask..how does your GF feel about packing light? I am in my 20's and I packed 6 pairs of SHOES for a 5 day cruise ;)

My DH and I are 24 & 26 so I know how you feel.This question was asked before and someone said dress like you are going to Olive Garden. I think this is the perfect response. At Olive Garden you see people in all kinds of dress: khakis, polos, button downs, casual shorts, dresses, business wear etc. The main theme is being presentable, if you wear a pair of shorts fine, just make sure they look nice, ironed, etc. pair them with a nice shirt, polo etc. If you wear sandals, how about some leather ones, closed toe if you'd like.

I told my husband he can wear whatever he likes, just don't wear those hideous skeletoes (anyone know about these atrocious shoes?! ugh- I HATE them!!)

I like the term "resort casual";)

Please leave the wife beaters for poolside, and nice jeans with a casual dress shirt are fine except elegant evening.

You don't have to wear a tux, but dinner jackets are nice, or just dress shirts and dress slacks even. Cocktail dresses are perfect for ladies.

People don't want to see:

your under arms,

your bare feet like flip flops,

raggedy clothes,

shorts

Not that you won't see these things!:p

But those are the general things that most people consider inappropriate for MDR.

Dress up...C'mon when else do you get a chance too? DH and I both REALLY enjoy dressing up for dinner on all cruises. We go pretty formal. We get great pictures.

I almost BET your GF would love the opportunity to both play dress up and to see you all snazzy. It makes for a romantic night ;)

BTW I am VERY curious so I have to ask..how does your GF feel about packing light? I am in my 20's and I packed 6 pairs of SHOES for a 5 day cruise ;)

this is a good point. i think this will end up being a great opportunity to get a bunch of pictures that we otherwise would rarely have a chance to take. I'm also concerned that my shoes will take up my entire bag, and they arent even for "fashion." have the tennis shoes, sandals, water shoes, and dressy shoes just for myself.

my intention isnt to show up looking like a slob. Im just trying to make the best use of my luggage space.

i guess i could make each pair of underwear last 4 days: front, back, inside-out front, inside-out back...

this is a good point. i think this will end up being a great opportunity to get a bunch of pictures that we otherwise would rarely have a chance to take. I'm also concerned that my shoes will take up my entire bag, and they arent even for "fashion." have the tennis shoes, sandals, water shoes, and dressy shoes just for myself.

my intention isnt to show up looking like a slob. Im just trying to make the best use of my luggage space.

i guess i could make each pair of underwear last 4 days: front, back, inside-out front, inside-out back...

There ya go, prioritize ;)

Remember depending on airlines your usually allowed 2 carry-on's each :) BUT also remember that the liquids are limited now. Which isn't a big deal for a guy but when it comes to woman and hair products, makeup, ect it might not be possible for her to just carry check on luggage. She might need to check a bag anyways....

There ya go, prioritize ;)

Remember depending on airlines your usually allowed 2 carry-on's each :) BUT also remember that the liquids are limited now. Which isn't a big deal for a guy but when it comes to woman and hair products, makeup, ect it might not be possible for her to just carry check on luggage. She might need to check a bag anyways....

while i think that a carry-on each and a shared check-in would be great, its a bit less ideal because we are departing from 2 different places and at different times. i guess i'll test out how much clothes my suitcase can handle, and decide from there if i'll need to bring a check-in

On "formal" night I will wear slacks and a dress shirt, no tie. Other nights, I will wear khaki shorts, Sperrys, and collared button-downs.

I'm going to be on vacation. In the Caribbean. On a boat. I'll be damned if I'm going to get any more dressy (read stuffy) than that on a cruise. And other people's opinions be damned too. :)

As long as it looks like you made an effort to not look like trailer trash, I think you'll be fine.

You wear underwear on a cruise?

We are talking carnival.

The have rules/ policy/ guidelines as posted.

But all the cruises I have been on I see folks who get away with the rules/guidelines/policies. Whatever floats your boat… to me it’s a shame … but it is what it is!

We were just on the Glory last week as well. We had anytime dinning in the Golden Dining room and the Maitre D DID allow a couple in where the man had on camouflage shorts, sleeveless shirt and baseball cap on. We thought that they would get turned away, but nope...they got seated. My husband wasn't pleased at all. I know it's there cruise too, but at least make an effort in the main dinning room and take your hat off.

I've only been on four cruises so maybe I've been lucky or just missed them, but I've never seen anyone completely underdressed in the MDR. Then again, I don't observe every person that walks in.

On my last cruise on the Dream, people really dressed up, almost every night! I love to dress up so I wear dresses every night. But not all women like wearing dresses, and I understand that. I think dress capris, dress shorts, dress pants or a skirt would be acceptable for the MDR with a nice blouse. For men, I would think dress pants, khakis, dress shoes, a button up would be nice for casual nights. On formal nights, some men wear a tux, but its being seen less & less now a days. But definitely dress pants, button up & tie would be acceptable. For a women, I would think a dress would be acceptable.

Be comfortable, but not too comfortable ;)

We were just on the Glory last week as well. We had anytime dinning in the Golden Dining room and the Maitre D DID allow a couple in where the man had on camouflage shorts, sleeveless shirt and baseball cap on. We thought that they would get turned away, but nope...they got seated. My husband wasn't pleased at all. I know it's there cruise too, but at least make an effort in the main dinning room and take your hat off.

Was it Larry the cable guy:D

Haha, maybe it was Larry the cable guy...we didn't get a good look at his face.:D For the most part, everyone dressed pretty nice in the dinning room. We did see a lot of t-shirts and shorts on both men and woman, but nothing like that one guy. He also stood out more because we were seated right in the front of the room and could see as people came in. I wore dresses every night because I don't get to dress up much at home and my husband wore slacks and Polo's.

Archived