Renting Jeeps at the Port

Humarocker

As I remember there were many available? Tour groups are sold out as is the ship, I have been there before so I'm not opposed to renting my own Jeep doing my own tour.

Any names of rental/emails would be appreciated

Any additional tips

Thanks,

Kim

Avis shows Cico Avis Rent A Car $93.00, I'm sure plus plus but will keep you posted...any tips still appreciated
We rented from Avis a couple years ago, and I strongly recommend that you avoid them.

We reserved a car with them well ahead of time, and we were instructed to walk to a certain store close to the docks. We had a little trouble finding the store because it was farther from the dock than we'd expected -- no problem. It was well within walking distance, just a little farther than we'd expected.

We found the store, introduced ourselves to the clerk and showed her our reservation. We'd believed the rental cars were handled out of this store, but instead they have an odd arrangement: The store clerk calls Avis, and they're supposed to run out in a van and pick up the renter from the store. The van takes the renter to Avis. The clerk called, and we shopped a bit. We were concerned that it was taking a long time for the pick-up to get there, and about that same time a large group of Germans who spoke very little English arrived -- they'd also reserved a car. We asked the clerk to call again, which she did. About 30 minutes later, we asked her to call again.

A full hour later, the van arrived to pick us up. The van wasn't big enough for all of us, and since I was the smallest adult I ended up sitting on the floor wedged between the sliding door and the shorty seat. Fortunately, it was only about a two minute ride, but it made us mad -- it meant that they'd ignored us for quite some time.

We got our car quickly and easily, and although we complained about the wait, no apology or excuse was tendered.

The car was nice and in good condition, and when we returned it we had no similar problems being returned to the pier.

Still, we followed their directions to a "t", and Avis wasted over an hour of our shore time. I would never use their services again.

Archived