Cenotes & Day Tours/Guides May 2, 2011

Hi there.

I'm wondering what the cenotes &/or snorkeling choices are? We will be porting May 2nd in Progreso, Yucatan. We love to snorkel and love cenotes too. We've never been to the Yucatan area before. There will be my husband and I, 13, 19 and 2.5 year old. We're willing to take turns doing things (obv) switching off with the 2.5 yr old.

Another thing we thought of is doing a 1/2 day w/ the kids and then getting them back onto the ship and doing an afternoon with just my husband and I. Or vise versa, morning just us, get them for the afternoon. Our time there is 7am - 3pm.

• 2 months later...

We too, are interested in a more, shall we say "rural"/ecotour type of experience: seeing/swimming in the cenotes, hiking, biking, canoeing, maybe see a ruin here or there....we are an adventuresome lot who turn our noses up at shopping. I can shop at home, if I want to; which typically I don't.

Anyway, we're excited to see & do things we've not seen or done before, collecting experiences along the way!:D Bring it ON, says I!

• 2 weeks later...

If you have kids, the cenotes are a wonderful option indeed! There's a little bit of driving involved, but the memories of swimming in the underground caves will last a lifetime!

Please keep in mind that the summer vacations have now started throughout Mexico and many Mexican families are playing tourist as well, which will result in lineups and some waiting, especially at these popular attractions.

@WilliamLawson you seem to be familiar with the area, are there cenotes near Progreso worth visiting that don't involve a substantial amount of time on the road? My boys are active and cooping them up on a bus for two hours isn't going to earn us any friends. ;)

Seth

DangerDad - no, there are no cenotes near Progreso unless you count the open cenote in Dzibilchaltun. The most exciting ones involve some driving, but there are stops along the way that will break up the time in a car for your boys.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you WilliamLawson! We are skipping the cenotes this time and checking out Chicxulub. When the boys are a little older we will go back for the cenotes and Chichen Itza.

I appreciate your guidance!

Archived