NCL Gem - May 15-22, 2011 - who else is going?

ClubMichael

We are not on your cruise, but we will be on the NCL Gem later this year, so your post caught my eye. And then I noticed you used to live in Buffalo, which is where we are. Not sure if you are hockey fans (I would not say we are fans, but we did go to several games this season and have watched bits of the first round of the playoffs), but if you are I guess you have both teams to root for in the Sabres v Flyers matchup.

Have a good cruise. Wish we were only a few weeks from ours, but we have to wait until November. Not to add to the way that people often think of Buffalo, but we saw snow three days this past week, although on only one day did it stick on grassy surfaces and this was only for a couple hours or so. The extended winter has left me thinking more about our cruise. :)

Hey guys, I used to live in Buffalo - actually my family is still all there go, so we get up there often. We were on the Jewel this past Christmas - loved it. Keep in touch - clubmichael1@yahoo.com

We are not on your cruise, but we will be on the NCL Gem later this year, so your post caught my eye. And then I noticed you used to live in Buffalo, which is where we are. Not sure if you are hockey fans (I would not say we are fans, but we did go to several games this season and have watched bits of the first round of the playoffs), but if you are I guess you have both teams to root for in the Sabres v Flyers matchup.

Have a good cruise. Wish we were only a few weeks from ours, but we have to wait until November. Not to add to the way that people often think of Buffalo, but we saw snow three days this past week, although on only one day did it stick on grassy surfaces and this was only for a couple hours or so. The extended winter has left me thinking more about our cruise. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Today I started packing.. I have narrowed down most of my clothes. Good thing Norwegian is not too formal.. and I am trying to get everything else sorted, who is checking on the cats, who is taking the dog, who is taking us to the bus to get to New York.

I also bought this Fodor's guide to Bermuda and have been reading it avidly today. There seems to be quite a bit to do, whether you are a beach person or a land lubber. My partner is going on some wild shore excursions and I am opting to try and get to the botanical gardens, I think.

It looks to be a fun cruise. How are your plans going for packing?

Doug

WOW - we haven't even started to think what to pack. Will begin to lay some stuff out Friday and pack Saturday. We have been to bermuda twice and love it. Make sure we meet up at the friends of Dorothy the first night. We will be at the sail away past the Statute of Liberty in the top right side of the open deck - look for us ! If not see you at the FOD.

Today I started packing.. I have narrowed down most of my clothes. Good thing Norwegian is not too formal.. and I am trying to get everything else sorted, who is checking on the cats, who is taking the dog, who is taking us to the bus to get to New York.

I also bought this Fodor's guide to Bermuda and have been reading it avidly today. There seems to be quite a bit to do, whether you are a beach person or a land lubber. My partner is going on some wild shore excursions and I am opting to try and get to the botanical gardens, I think.

It looks to be a fun cruise. How are your plans going for packing?

Doug

Great! It will be me and my husband Chris. We have been looking forward to this for a long time now! We live in Baltimore, so we are taking the mega bus up. I am super excited. Glad that Norwegian has a FOD and will look for that in the daily program. I have never been on an NCL cruise before, but so many people have said so many great things about it, I really wanted to try it. I have been on Princess 3 times and Carnival twice... I have enjoyed every cruise I have been on but really love the Carnival Miracle the best, mainly because of nightly Karaoke. Do they have karaoke on the Gem? Have you ever been on the gem before?

It will be nice to get to meet you on the cruise. I am a librarain and my husband works for the court system in Baltimore.

I can't belive it is now less than a week!!!

We have not been in the GEM, but were on the Jewel in December which is the Gem's sister ship. We were also on the Pearl 3 years ago, which is also a sister ship. We have been on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival, but have mostly been on NCL (as you can see from below) - they are the most gay friendly and have always make us feel part of their family for the time we are on board. I know you guys will enjoy.

We are in Philadelphia, so like you, we are taking the Megabus at 8:45ish which will get us to NYC by 10:30 - so I am sure we will see you guys in line - lol. What time does your Megabus get into NYC? We will just jump into a cab and head to the port since we like to get in the lines before the crowd. Either way, their check in goes fast.

Ed is a realtor and I work for the IRS. If you guys have facebook - friend us at clubmichael1@yahoo.com. This way you know our faces and might be able to see us in line. If not email me and I'll send you a quick pic.

Yes, the have karaoke usually every night. Ed and I don't sing, but we look forward to hearing you sing. On one of the cruise a bunch of us guys went to Karoke every night since one of the guys loved to sing - makes it fun.

See you soon !!!

P.S. - we are in Room 8529

Great! It will be me and my husband Chris. We have been looking forward to this for a long time now! We live in Baltimore, so we are taking the mega bus up. I am super excited. Glad that Norwegian has a FOD and will look for that in the daily program. I have never been on an NCL cruise before, but so many people have said so many great things about it, I really wanted to try it. I have been on Princess 3 times and Carnival twice... I have enjoyed every cruise I have been on but really love the Carnival Miracle the best, mainly because of nightly Karaoke. Do they have karaoke on the Gem? Have you ever been on the gem before?

It will be nice to get to meet you on the cruise. I am a librarain and my husband works for the court system in Baltimore.

I can't belive it is now less than a week!!!

I sent off a FB request.. and it has a pic of Chris and I. I have to recheck my room number.. I think we are on floor six. Midship.

Chris and I love karaoke, and I am a bit of a ham. Chris tends to do really hard rock songs, like the rolling stones and the doors (I don't get it, really, but I listen! ) and I tend to do more loungey, silly stuff, but will try almost anything. I think I have more of a stage presence, so I tend to sing over the top numbers that I sell more with character than voice, but I have a great time singing.

We tend not to like comedy shows that much, so opt to sing on those nights. I prefer the musical shows to anything else.

D

Oh, our megabus leaves at 630 and should get there around 9:45.

Do you visit NYC on day trips? I love broadway but with the economy I have not been in over a year. Can't afford the high priced tickets anymore!

We are in room 10602.

I have been gathering supplies for our four pets... we have friends that are watching them, two dogs and two cats, but they are in the hands of three different friends and I have to get weeks worth of supplies for each of them.

And I have started to get nervous about getting to the ship. I always get this trepidation right before, when I have to get to the bus, get to the dock, make sure that I have everything I need packed, ect. I will be much happier when I am actually ON the ship and in my room. At least with the bus I don't have to worry about anyone losing my suitcase!

I tend to be the planner of the couple, so most of the vacation planning falls on my so I am always checking things, looking at deck plans, worrying about making the reservations for the specialty dining we hope to do...

Are there any of the restaurants where you really like to eat? Chris is a vegetarian so the Asian Fusion looks good as does the Italian. But I just read a review that said the Italian was not so good.

I like the steakhouse at least once on the trip.

D

Hey D,

My best friend, Gary, and I will be on the Gem on Sunday and look forward to meeting all of you.

We sailed on the Gem two summers ago and really enjoyed the ship. We never had a less-than-satisfying meal except in the main dining room, so we did specialty restaurants every night. Loved all we ate at.

Gary and I are waaay down in the bowels of the ship in 4503, our first time doing an inside cabin. We will see you at the FOD meeting if not before.

David

Well, Ed and I started to pack today. Layed out the clothes and have them ready for the suitcases. Then we will start to run some last minute errands (including getting my haircut). We got your room number. If they have a FOD tomorrow night, lets try and meet up. But we might run into each other sooner. Ed and I will be on the top right side of the ship when we sail away so we can get good pictures of Lady Liberty (unless it raining).

See you guys tomorrow !! (got chills just typing that)

Archived