Stroller for preschooler in Western Mediterranean?

3guysandagal

My husband, son (age 4, 35 lbs), and I are traveling with family on RCI's Liberty of the Seas Western Mediterranean cruise. I'm thinking of bringing a lightweight stroller for my son so when he (inevitably) gets tired of walking we can keep going without carrying him. However, not sure about strollers and cobblestones, etc. Ports are Barcelona, Provence (Toulon), Nice (Villefranche), Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Rome (Civitavecchia), and Naples/Capri. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When DD was 4 (she's now 15:eek:) we did a land trip to Milano, Florence, Venice et.al. We brought an inexpensive umbrella stroller and found it invaluable (even in Venice, where we "carried" it up and down lots of steps! ). Only you know your kid and how receptive he would be. DD was thrilled to be wheeled about -- we gave her the freedom to get in and out pretty much whenever she wanted to. The cobblestoned streets were sometimes a bit bouncy but she still enjoyed it - and it gave us a lot more options because we didn't need to worry about her "range".

I know others say no way, but I brought a stroller for my twins who turned 5 during our cruise out of Barcelona and I was glad to have it for the exact reason you stated - we were able to keep going even when one of my girls got tired, which I knew was going to happen. I attribute the stroller, the snacks we brought and the research we did ahead of time to our no-whine Med cruise.

Barcelona was very stroller friendly, except some metro stops where I had to carry it up or down the stairs (I had an easy-fold stroller with a carry strap). Rome was also fine, except the Vatican which was an absolutely miserable place to be with young kids and was the only mistake in our plans. A good quality stroller can handle the cobblestones.

If we had a private tour (which we did in most places) I was able to leave the stroller in the car or van.

The stroller was also a life-saver after the long flights. Being able to put my tired girls in the stroller for the line at customs and while collecting luggage made it easier for all of us.

Best,

Mia

I agree withwhat has already been said. I too would not even consider not taking a stroller (or buggy as we call them in England.) I should not think you will come across many cobbles but you may come across busy, crowded cities, lots of waiting around and queues. I imagine you will be sightseeing in the ports you visit and depending on when you go it may well be hot. Having a buggy available in which your little one can take a rest, have a drink and cool off will make the experience more enjoyable for you all. I am sure a light weight, umberella folding buggy will be very easy to take with you whether on a tender, coach or taxi.

Have a great cruise.

I agree too. I just upgraded to a bigger buggy for my 38lbs 5 year old. He loves to walk /run except when we want him to !!!

I bought the First Years Jet which hold up to 50lbs and is basically a larger unbrella stroller- I think it was about $38 online. It was great in the airport and all around New Orleans.

We are hoping to make it until 2013 when we go to Europe.

We have the BOB Ironman which goes up to ?75lbs but is way too big and cumbersome for travelling.

We brought our Maclaren Triumph on our recent cruise with our 4.5 year old DS. It was so worth bringing it. He fell asleep in it a few times in port, allowing us to shop and walk around more than we would have. We were in the Caribbean, and we used it a lot. You'll use it even more in Europe. The stroller was also useful for getting through the airport, waiting at the airport, a place to put our stuff, etc.

We love this Maclaren, because it can hold a bigger kid (44", 43 lbs), and it's so convenient to collapse and carry with shoulder strap. It's good quality and can handle bumpy streets and sidewalks. It's pricey if you buy it new, but I got mine off Craig's List (in new condition) for less than half price.

Yes- bring the umbrella stroller. If they aren't riding in it you can let them push it with your purchases. It also is great for evening when you pick your tired child up from the kids program. You can use it easily onboard ship. I used it alot! In Rome and the larger cities- it will give you a sense of safety. Have them in it whenever you are in a crowd.

Archived