rental cars near Havensight port

dwardlaw

• 4 weeks later...
I forgot the names of the rental car companies that are in Havensight by the port. Can someone help me out. Thanks

Budget is literally a stones throw distance from Havensight. You can see it right alongside the port. A word of advise though, book in advance. My cost for a Jeep for the day using a discount code over the internet was $44.00, yet I overheard someone walking in and asking how much a Jeep was for the day was quoted $90.00. We took it to St Johns for the day via barge and saved a lot of money based on a family of 4 vs a tour guide or taxis.

Renting car can be fun and definately a cheaper alternative to a taxi, however a few basic things. First, we drive on the left. Keep Left!! If you have never done this before it can be un-nerving at first, especially at stop signs and turns where you have to think about which side of the street your on, who has right of way etc. (you can turn left at red light, unlike the US where you can turn right on red)

Second, the roads in the USVI are not like those at home. The hills can be steep, curves can be sharp, they can be narrow, and you'll find the condition of some of the roads less than optimal (unless its an election year and they all miraculously get fixed). In some places the roads are narrow, steep and curvy all at the same time. Remember to downshift going up hills etc for more traction and uummmph! Watch for people and wildlife. Goats love to stop traffic. It's not uncommon for locals to see a friend and stop in the road to say hi and chat. Occasionally an iguana or mongoose becomes road kill.

Finally, taking a car/jeep to St. John (there is no "S") make sure you check with your rental company about this. Some have strict rules about taking a vehicle across The Sound. If it breaks down there, you will often have to pay for charges to have them come over and repair/get you. Also a missed barge or breakdown could cost you missing your ship. So be sure to ask prior to doing it.

Scott

Archived