Cozumel Excursions -- Book thru Carnival or Not??

br7210

Carnival excursions will AWAYS cost more for the same excursion booked directly with the tour company. They try to use a scare tactic that if your not back on board, they will leave you. All tour operators know when your ship will depart and will have you back in plenty of time to board. Save your money for the next excursion by booking with the tour operator.

Looking at Cozumel excursions....trying to decide on the pros/cons of booking through Carnival or through an independent company. Can anyone offer some advice/tips on this??

What type of excursion do you want to do? That info will help in assisting you with your decision.

In Cozumel, take a taxi to Paradise Beach club. About a 10 min ride. It's free, they just expect you to order drinks or food. Chairs, beach & water activities are very nice and relaxing. Beach is good there. We enjoyed it very much for a $10 taxi ride.

We have only been to Tulum and we did it through the cruise line.

It may be a scare tactic, but I still say if you are going more than a few miles I would pay for a ships excursion.

if your bus breaks down on an independent tour, they will not wait for you.

We had a wonderful time in Tulum, and got to swim in the beautiful ocean after it. it was a great day!

We have only been to Tulum and we did it through the cruise line.

It may be a scare tactic, but I still say if you are going more than a few miles I would pay for a ships excursion.

if your bus breaks down on an independent tour, they will not wait for you.

We had a wonderful time in Tulum, and got to swim in the beautiful ocean after it. it was a great day!

The only excursion someone needs to book through the ship with is :

Tulum - because you physically leave the island

Swimming with the Dolphins - to make sure you get a spot. (cruise lines gets preference in booking)

Anything else you want to do in Cozumel can be done on your own. Just remember to keep your watch on SHIP time (ignore local time ...it may be different)....and allow yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship.

There are more taxis than sand on the WEST side....(the commercial side) of Cozumel...but not so on the East side....to do the East side..I would only do that with a dedicated taxi. Gerry (cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com) charges $95.00 for 3 hours for up to 4 people.

Have you looked on the ports of call board here on CC? There is so much good information there. We will be in Cozumel in November and were going to do Nachi Cocum which gets great reviews. But decided not to as our ship gets in at 1pm their time and Nachi closes at 5pm. So instead we are going to the Money Bar. Whatever you do just make sure you allow enough time to get back to the port. Have a great time.

I would personally never book with the cruise line.

You get the same, or better tour independently for a fraction of the cost. I did a catamaran / snorkeling / dr's cave beach thing in Jamaica last year. Carnival cost was about 100 dollars a person for this trip. I paid 39 with my son being free.

We went to the same exact spot, with about 1/4 of the people on our boat. Stayed at the snorkel spot longer, and were able to stay at the beach for about double the time.

Just to give you an idea.

The tour operators wouldn't be in business long if they got people back to the ships late.

thanks to all for all the good advice...don't want to spend a fortune, but at the same time a little leary booking outside the ship. with no cruise exprience, we just want to be sure to weigh all the options.

we are looking at some sort of beach excursion...just want to relax and enjoy our time there. any other suggestions on the best beach excursions??

Nachi is great, however, it you don't plan on eating and drinking alot, you might want to consider Paradise Beach. Its a $10 cab fare and from there you pay for only what you want. Taxi's are there waiting to take you back to the ship terminal. They have all the water toys and even jet ski's and parasailing available for alittle extra. Here is the link for Paradise Beach. Either way, you will have a great time.

www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com

good to know...so there is no fee for entry into paradise beach? just the fees for what ever you might want to use and eat/drink?? pretty cool...but we might be more suited for the all inclusive route.

good to know...so there is no fee for entry into paradise beach? just the fees for what ever you might want to use and eat/drink?? pretty cool...but we might be more suited for the all inclusive route.

They now charge for chairs... a huge $2/person. And ask you to spend $10 on food/drink. There is a beautiful new pool, too:

DSCF2595.jpg

here's the view from pool to beach:

DSCF2597.jpg

We are going to be on the Legend 3/2012 and I asked John Heald about the safety of using Carnival for excursions such as the Jeep and Buggy adventure based on recent postings about people being arrested and jailed in Mexico after an accident. John assured me that Carnival would stand behind you if this unfortunate incident happened. You book on your own, your on your own.

But, if you're doing a beach break or some other kind of excursion close by that you are not driving for, book independently, saves lots of money and usually a bit more relaxing, I find the operators are laid back but responsible.

Tulum was AWESOME when we went last year! Well worth it and yes, book thru the cruiseline, its about 2 hrs away from the cruise ship and that leaves way too much time for something to go wrong. Tulum was so very cool to see and the beach was so beautiful!

but at the same time a little leary booking outside the ship. with no cruise exprience, ?

If there is ANY doubt in your mind use the cruise line.

Just check Youtube for videos of people that did not make the ship.

(then place yourself in that video)

Is it really worth saving $20 or $30 to worry while on vacation?

No. it is not.

Looking at Cozumel excursions....trying to decide on the pros/cons of booking through Carnival or through an independent company. Can anyone offer some advice/tips on this??

Yes. Don't book through Carnival.

The only excursion someone needs to book through the ship with is :

Tulum - because you physically leave the island

Swimming with the Dolphins - to make sure you get a spot. (cruise lines gets preference in booking)

This is good advice.

First time in Cozumel we took a taxi to Paradise Beach. It was crowded but beautiful.

Second time in Cozumel we took a taxi to Mr. Sanchos. We got there shortly after the ship docked and had the beach to ourselves for the first couple of hours. It was beautiful too.

Third time we booked Isla Pasion by Twister through Carnival. Booking through Carnival was the only way to book the Twister excursion. The boat ride was a blast and our boat load of about 25 people were the only ones on the island except the workers during our stay. It was awesome.

Nachi Cocum - $50. pp all inclusive - beautiful area -excellent service (ask for Carlos) and $15. cab ride. You WILL NOT REGRET IT!

Have Fun!

I totally agree, we did Nachi last June and also had Carlos. It was one of the highlights of our trip. They only allow 100 people so it's not crowded and the food, drinks and service is awesome!!

Archived