Cozumel Excursions -- Book thru Carnival or Not??

br7210

We went to to Mr. Sanchos in February. Had a blast. They have either an all-inclusive rate or you pay as you go. No charge for chairs. We just paid for drinks and some snacks. For the 4 of us we spent $24.00 plus $15.00 taxi ride each way. We stopped and looked at Paradise Beach and that was nice also. It was our first cruise and we had no problems getting a taxi and felt very safe.

My DH booked a 3 reef snorkel excursion when we got into port with an independent. He was the only person on the boat that booked independent ... all the others had booked through carnival. He paid a lot less and got the same service.

forget carnival.....also you should try Mr. Sanchos all inclusive beach resort only $50 pp all the alcohol, food, ect. you could possibly want and it is more lively beach had a great time on our last visit.:)

Third time we booked Isla Pasion by Twister through Carnival. Booking through Carnival was the only way to book the Twister excursion. The boat ride was a blast and our boat load of about 25 people were the only ones on the island except the workers during our stay. It was awesome.

I actually reserved this excursion, but on the cateraman. My question is, since the times are 2:00 - 7:00, isn't that a bit late to get to the beach by 3:00? Also, I heard that they only offer frozen drinks and beer, is that correct?

For anyone following this thread, I'm sure that it'll be moved to the Ports of Call soon...;)

Thanks a lot.

I actually reserved this excursion, but on the cateraman. My question is, since the times are 2:00 - 7:00, isn't that a bit late to get to the beach by 3:00? Also, I heard that they only offer frozen drinks and beer, is that correct?

For anyone following this thread, I'm sure that it'll be moved to the Ports of Call soon...;)

Thanks a lot.

We had the later time too in November. It wasn't that bad really. The sun was still out, the water and weather was warm, and there was no one at the beach. It was dusk when we got back to the ship.

I had Magaritas on the rocks and DH had beers and the kids had fruit punch, I'm really not sure what else they served.

We were there last week...we actually did two excursions- the Amazing Cozumel Race (WHICH WAS AWESOME!!) didn't start until 12:30 so we decided to go to a beach club in the morning. I couldn't remember what i had read on the boards, so we went with Playa Mia. Carnival told my husband that we wouldn't be able to get in without a Carnival excursion, so we coughed up the 30 or 40 dollars a person, but still need to get our own cab ($15 each way). Then, we get there and aha! We COULD have, indeed, bought tickets right there at Playa Mia, for, I think, $17? This included open bar and water toys but no food or towels. Playa Mia was a disappointment overall, though. I guess it was ok, but we wouldn't go back. Pool is absolutely NOTHING like the photos of Paradise Beach! Mr. Sanchez's was right down the beach from Playa Mia, couldn't tell much about it, although they seemed to also have a water tramp and climbing iceberg thing in the water.

We booked mostly our own excursions, for the same reasons as the other posters, and we had fantastic experiences. Hope this helps.

We always book independent of the ship, and in Cozumel we ALWAYS go to Nachi Cocum! Great food, awesome drinks, and we absolutely love that they only take 100 people! It's the best bargain on the island, and we have never had a problem getting back to the ship in time for sailing! Just remember to keep your watch on SHIP time, and allow at least two hours to get back (traffic and any last minute shopping that you might want to do).

We have never been to any of the other resorts on the island - might try out Paradise Beach next time!

Nachi is about a 10 - 15 minute cab ride from the Puerta Maya pier which is where most Carnival ships dock. On the way to Nachi, you will pass Playa Mia, Mr. Sanchos, Chankanaub and perhaps a few other resorts. They ALL share the same beach! Nachi is the furthest from the pier. It is definitely geared more towards adults - slower pace and atmosphere. Snorkeling, etc is offered for an add'l. fee; but the others offer all of the water toys (trampoline, parasailing, etc. that might be more entertaining if you have children). You can actually see the other resorts just up the beach from Nachi.

Included is your (2) chairs and thatch umbrella. Pool, hot tub access and food. You can be served appetizers on the beach (the guacamole is to die for!) and then go up to the pavillion/restaurant area for your main meal if you like. Or you can be served your main meal in your chairs under your umbrella. Unlimited local brew of course, and frozen type drinks. I must say the Pina colada is also to die for.

TIP - at Nachi, if it starts to rain, there is a thatch roof over the stools at the pool swim up bar that makes for a nice reprieve for a brief shower.

OOPs - almost forgot - you also get a float included to take out into the ocean and float around if you like.

Getting a cab back is no problem - just ask Carlos to get one for you!

Chick.

Also wanted to mention - I have booked many times through Island Marketing Ltd/Cozumel.

Very reputable - $12.50 pp deposit required for reservation. Once you arrive tho - they only take credit cards. We had intended to pay cash for the balance; but credit cards only!

I haven't been to Paradise beach, but enjoyed Nachi Cocum twice last fall. There were less than 5 kids there both times that we went. It was very relaxing. (I don't hate kids, but the park with the water toys might be better for them).

Here's a beach picture:

76836_1746558744674_1259965477_1891950_202023_n.jpg

The picture was in the middle of the day, so you can tell it's not crowded at all.

They also have a huge pool and hot tub (that's really only a warm tub) with a swim up bar and a nice pavilliion for dining.

it may cost more on Carnival but if you are doing anything on the water it may be a safer bet. My father in law went deep sea fishing and their boat broke down and they were 1/2 hour late getting back to the ship if they had not booked through the cruise line than they would have been left behind. Anything can happen bus break down, accident I just don't think it is worth it to save some $$$. We have done our own thing in Cozumel we took a cab and went to swim with the dolphins because Carnival does not offer the complete swim went early and made sure we had time to get back. Good luck and have a great Cruise:)

Mike

We had the later time too in November. It wasn't that bad really. The sun was still out, the water and weather was warm, and there was no one at the beach. It was dusk when we got back to the ship.

I had Magaritas on the rocks and DH had beers and the kids had fruit punch, I'm really not sure what else they served.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Decisions, decisions;):D

Unless you want a tour to the mainland (TULUM, XEL HA or XCARET) no need to do a Cruise line excursion. The island is only something like 17 miles long and 9 miles wide so there is plenty of time to do what you want and get back on the the ship. We always get back at least 15 minutes before they tell you to be onboard -just to get a good position to watch the runners. There are plenty of good, local tour operators who will get you back on time. Or just take a taxi and see what you want at your own pace. Check out the Cozumel board for suggestions - there are tons of them.

We just returned from Cozumel and we went on the bar hop, they are independent but they were fantastic. You go to the other side of the island and stop at 4 bars and spend about an hour at each. It was just plain fun and relaxing. Go to www.cozumelbarhop.com and check it out. It was 49 dollars each. You get transportation and a shot at each bar. The guide is very knowledgable and it is just a great day.

We love Nachi Cocum! The food, drinks, beach, and service are the best!

I wholeheartedly agree! Nachi Cocum is the perfect beach day on Cozumel! The staff are amazing - you never even have to ask for refills...they just magically appear...they will even bring them out to the water's edge for you! :cool:

You dont need to book anything through your ship on Cozumel...way too easy and much less expensive to do it on your own!

Happy Sailing!

seems like Nachi Cocum may be the thing for us....we really want to just relax and enjoy the beach (and of course maybe a few cocktails while we are there!!) thanks for all the great posts!!

Archived