We recommend this Oahu experience

reteach

If you are looking for something to do while on Oahu, we highly recommend a day with Ed Kos of Kos "Hummer Tours". His website is koshawaii.com and it shows the Hummer as well as several options available. We were on the Island Princcess on Feb. 25, 2005. Four of us spent 9 hours with Ed touring the island. Ed is an ex-Marine with 20 years of service. He really knows the island, its history, and places to go. He customized our day with places of our choice as well as several suggestions for our consideration. He does a fantastic job! He also specializes in 4x4 tours. We found him via another recommendation on Cruise Critic and are so glad to have gotten the information. Ed will answer all your emails and calls in a quick manner and will handle all arrangements. His rates are very comparable to ship tours and he does all tours himself at this point. Contact him at his website, 1-808-561-1440, or email koshawaii@yahoo.com.

If you go to his website http://www.koshawaii.com and look at his Circle Island Tour, we saw much of this itinerary plus a few other things. The names of places are too many to put in this reply, so I have directed you to the site. We stopped many times to view wonderful sights. Then, he gave us history and the option of getting out or not. We wanted to go to to Arizona Memorial, but when we drove there and saw the long, long line just to get a ticket for a scheduled viewing we changed our minds. Ed left it up to us and told us we would be looking at a 3-4 hour time span at that time. We chose to see more of Oahu in the time we had available from the ship. We are happy with that decision and his recommendations. He also took digital pictures during the day and gave them to us.

Cruiser mom2,

Yes, we are going February 5th, 2006 on the Island. I am just starting to look at excursions. White Bear is beautiful, my son goes to White Bear HS South and is graduating this year. Please offer your review when you get back! Can't wait to hear. What cabin did you book?

Reteach, thanks so much for the tip on the hummer tour. We called yesterday and booked him for next month. Can you tell me what you saw that was especially interesting for you? We told him we wanted to go to all the places that are listed on the Circle Island tour as well as to the Arizona Memorial. Any sugestions for any other places?

Thanks again for the help.

We were the other couple with Reteach, and also highly recommend this tour. It would be impossible to tell you all the sites we saw that day as we did a circle tour of the island...getting an expert narrration as we went. I want to mention one thing...I am an amputee with a full length prosthesis...I was able to climb into the Hummer with out problems and my w/c fit where the 3rd seat was taken out of. We did not do any of the off road sites because of this. So the places you may go would differ. That is what makes this tour so special...Ed Kos tailors the tours to each persons needs.

You will have a great time and it will be money well spent.

Don't tell anyone but we even got Ed to stop at a Walmart for us. LOL

Have a Great Day in Oahu.

Reteach, thanks so much for the tip on the hummer tour. We called yesterday and booked him for next month. Can you tell me what you saw that was especially interesting for you? We told him we wanted to go to all the places that are listed on the Circle Island tour as well as to the Arizona Memorial. Any sugestions for any other places?

Thanks again for the help.

Hi Dixieva,

We left most of the tour up to Ed since we had never been there before. You might reconsider about the Arizona after Ed takes you by there. He left the decision up to the 4 of us after we saw the length of the line just to get tickets to be on the scheduled viewings. He predictd 3-4 hours of our time just to do it from the looks of things that day. We were more interested in seeing the island than one sight. We had fun going to Pali Lookout Point. It was the windiest place we have ever been and a challenge just to walk up to it. Haunama Bay was beautiful and made us want to return to spend a day there sometime. 2 of the 4 in our group were disabled, so that limited us somewhat to tackling a few places, but the choice was always ours. I would say leave it to Ed unless you have certain things in mind from researching the island or talkling to others. It was our best day of the 5 ports we stopped at on the IP. Be sure to tell Ed "Aloha" from Ed, Judy, Arlene, and Paul. Have a great vacation.

Thanks Ed and Arlene. We are really looking forward to this tour. We are just going to go by the Arizona Memorial to check out the line. We will do that first thing and if the line is too long, we will get going on to the next thing. I'm with you, there are too many things to see to waste hours waiting in a long line. And besides, we also want to stop at the Walmart! LOL.

Thanks again for sharing this info with us. We will be sure to tell Ed "hi" for you.

Archived