Refresher?

ERCruiser

Guys(and Gals)- I plan to go diving on my upcoming cruise. I have not been diving since my certification dives over three years ago. I have been reading my NAUI instruction manual to familiarize myself with the vocab and dive science again. I took my class through college, so the training was stretched over an entire semester, and I feel like all the info is rushing back into my head and I am getting really excited.

Ok now my point. Princess offers a refresher course for $50 during the first sea day. In your eyes is this worth it? What all is covered in the class? I already planned on practicing my snorkeling skills and mask clearing on my own. In your opinions, is it worth the $$ for the refresher, or is the practice I plan to do on my own going to be sufficient?

Thanks- Jason

Jason-

All you may need is to get in the water with someone to watch you. If you want to do a refresher, by all means go ahead.

However, you will probably be far better to do the refresher with your hometown dive shop rather than doing it on your cruise. You won't have the distraction of pool spectators & spectacles, and you will help keep your local shop in business.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

next up

Splendour of the Seas 4/23/05

I agree, I'd do the refresher at the local dive shop instead of on the ship. Many dive ops will require proof that you've had that refresher before allowing you to dive after so many years off. So unless you lie on the form and say you've been diving in the past year or so (sometimes they'll allow 2 years), you might find yourself out of luck. I say it's better to be safe than sorry.

My local dive shop has the occasional "Rusty Diver" night which sounds like what you are looking for. It is just some time in the pool to get reacquainted with your gear. I also advise checking with your local dive shop to see what can be arranged there.

Well I would love to hook up with a local dive shop, but I have moved 4X since college, and I really don't know any locals yet. I will most likely take the course on the boat to get reacquainted with my BC, regulator and other equip. LAter this spring I will try and get with a local outfit to log some more dives and keep my skills fresh.

I kinda already knew the answer to my ??, but I felt like asking anyway.:)

Archived