What's your favoritye stroller for a cruise?

Chicky2181

So I have an UppaBaby Vista stroller and it is definetly too large to bring on the ship. I can barely go to the store with out knocking over displays because the wheels stick out really far.

I'd like to buy another stroller for our up coming cruise. (we need a spare anyways.....there's just been too many times my hubby has accidentally taken the car with the stroller in it to work and left me without). LOl

What is your favorite stroller for cruising?:)

We use a Chicco umbrella stroller. It's affordable, easy to maneuver, light-weight, adjustable, great sun blocker, storage basket underneath & never had any issues with it. We used it a lot on our last cruise with my son, he loved taking naps in it during the afternoon. We plan on bringing the same stroller with us on our upcoming cruise in June.

When we needed strollers, we used a MacLaren stroller.

umbrella-strollers-maclaren-triumph.jpg

They folded nicely, maneuverable, and the seat reclines.

It was very durable, used it for two of the kids over 6 years on cruises, family vacations, and the beach (didn't roll on the beach, but we could unfold it under the umbrella and stick the kid in it)

I have The First Years - Ignite Stroller. Very sturdy, reclines & is higher than the usual stroller so I don't have to bend over to push it.

Got it from Diapers.com. Used coupon code INSIDER & got $20 bucks off.

We took a Combi Savy EX reclining stroller a few weeks ago, and it was great! Very lightweight, and folds up compactly (with a shoulder strap) so it was easy to carry when we needed to. Would collapse small enough to fit upright in the closet.

Plus it has a place for a bottle/sippy cup...and a little pocket for sunglasses and sea pass card. (Plus it's under $100, which is what first grapped our attention!)

pTRU1-6913874reg.jpg

absolutely a Maclaren - we have the Mod Quest and at 5 my child still loves her stroller ( I know, I know :) ) so we will be bringing it with us for the ports. It ways very little and folds to almost nothing!

Still deciding this myself. I have a Baby Jogger City Mini that I would love to bring b/c of the full recline and he sleeps really well in it. I have a Maclaren Volo but it doesn't recline at all, so that is out. I bought a Britax Blink specifically for travel and that is likely what we'll bring...it is very very similar to Maclarens (almost exact, down to the folding mechanism) but it reclines pretty far back, has an extendable leg rest, good sun canopy, tall handles, pretty good basket and it has a shoulder strap and folds compactly. Got it for $69 on albeebaby.com, and we use it a lot already. My only concern is that my son hasn't slept in it yet...not sure if its been timing or the stroller. Either way, its a perfect travel stroller with lots of features and it even comes w/a travel bag to carry/protect it.

Still deciding this myself. I have a Baby Jogger City Mini that I would love to bring b/c of the full recline and he sleeps really well in it.

I would absolutely bring the BJCM. I think that's the perfect stroller since he sleeps well in it. I'm struggling with this decision right now too. We are spending a week at WDW prior to our August cruise and really feel like we are going to need our Phil and Ted's Sport at WDW, but it's a bit much for the cruise. DD doesn't ever nap in the stroller any more, so I could definitely use our Volo, but dh is going to roll his eyes if I say I want to bring 2 strollers to FL! We are parking the rental car at the port while we are on the cruise because it's cheaper than 2 one way rentals, so we could leave the P&T in the rental car, though. At least I have a few months to obsess over the decision!

My only reservation on BJCM is that it's 24 inches wide at the rear. I'm wondering if it will seem like a beast in the elevator and halls of the ship. I'm actually in the process of trying to decide what stroller to buy for travel use in general, and the width of the BJCM is holding me back. One thought was that, with as easy as it folds up, I could remove DS from the stroller and collapse it to pass by housekeeping carts or to fit us all in the elevator if necessary. I'd be interested in what you decide.

We usually use our maclaren volo when we travel by plane because it's so light. My usual daily stroller is the maclaren techno xlr, which does offer a fairly full recline but is about 16lbs. We will be driving to the pier, so I'm thinking about bringing the techno instead

This is our first cruise with dd, who will be 19months then. I'm contemplating getting a stroller with an easier fold, such as the city mini, but seeing the previous posts, I'm concerned about the width. Anybody else have experience with the maclarens for cruises?

Thanks!

We usually use our maclaren volo when we travel by plane because it's so light. My usual daily stroller is the maclaren techno xlr, which does offer a fairly full recline but is about 16lbs. We will be driving to the pier, so I'm thinking about bringing the techno instead

This is our first cruise with dd, who will be 19months then. I'm contemplating getting a stroller with an easier fold, such as the city mini, but seeing the previous posts, I'm concerned about the width. Anybody else have experience with the maclarens for cruises?

Thanks!

I think the techno would be perfect if you don't want to buy another stroller, I don't think the fold is too hard (I have a volo and a britax blink- almost same weight as mac techno) and they are so compact/manageable I can carry them up a flight of stairs open by myself. I won't bring the volo b/c it doesn't recline, and I know DS will probably be wiped out. The city mini fold is amazing though. There is a Baby Jogger City Micro too that is a smaller version of the mini but doesn't have the same recline, etc, but I think it has the fold. Albeebaby and Stroller depot have had good prices on it. GL!

I would absolutely bring the BJCM. I think that's the perfect stroller since he sleeps well in it. I'm struggling with this decision right now too. We are spending a week at WDW prior to our August cruise and really feel like we are going to need our Phil and Ted's Sport at WDW, but it's a bit much for the cruise. DD doesn't ever nap in the stroller any more, so I could definitely use our Volo, but dh is going to roll his eyes if I say I want to bring 2 strollers to FL! We are parking the rental car at the port while we are on the cruise because it's cheaper than 2 one way rentals, so we could leave the P&T in the rental car, though. At least I have a few months to obsess over the decision!

We have a large duffel and I have jokingly said to DH that i'm packing the volo in the suitcase and bringing the BJCM too! I am pretty sure that WDW rents Baby Jogger City Mini's in the parks too if you needed something bigger than a volo but didn't want to bring both.

I have the least expensive umbrella stroller I could find. Usually, they're around $20. If it gets damaged or lost it's easily replaceable. In two years of bringing our son all across the United States on road trips, plus a cruise to the Bahamas, it's lasted beautifully.

My guy never sleeps in his stroller, even if I use the "nice" one we have with all of the bells and whistles, so reclining was not a consideration.

Thanks for the great reccommendations!

I'm going to go out next week and look at a few of these models. I also just found out that Uppababy does have an umbrella stroller called G-Luxe. It has a large canopy and reclines 120 degrees. Any one have this stroller?

I think the maclairens sounds good too!

I have the Uppababy Vista and got the 2011 G-Luxe for the cruise I just returned from today.

I had orginally compared the Maclaren Triumph to the G-Luxe. No regrets here. The G-Luxe had some great features - stands when folded, only 11lbs, comes with a cup holder, large canopy and can easily be maneuvered with one hand.

I'm actually thinking of using this as my full-time stroller now. I can't imagine using the Vista now that I'm used to the G-Luxe!

Also keep in mind the age of your child. We have a Volo, and while I love how lightweight it is, it has no leg support and the edge of the seat cuts into the back of DS's calf and his legs just dangle. He will try to pretzel himself and get more comfortable, so I know I want something with an extendable leg support for him. With an older child, that may not be important.

From my perspective, I already bought a full-featured stroller that we used from birth. I then got a lightweight travel stroller, which is spectacular for the airport and things like the car show or brief walks. But I realize that I'd prefer something with more features for vacations, and I don't want to keep buying new strollers. So, something that will grow with him. One thing that has me coming back to the Maclarens is a 55-lb. weight capacity for most strollers, 65-lb. in the Techno XLR. That really could be the only stroller we'll ever need. Many others are only 40 lb. capacity, and while an older child may not routinely use the stroller, I want the option if we go someplace like Disney World.

An extendable foot rest, recline, lightweight, compact fold, easy steering and the feel of quality engineering, that's what I like about Maclarens. I'm still shopping (also considering BCJM and Peg Perego Si, fwiw), but I come back to Macs because I really do enjoy them (and I see the advantage of a smaller profile, width-wise, over the BJCM, for more utility in a variety of environments). I have not found the perfect stroller, unfortunately, most involve some sort of trade-off.

In terms of shopping, you can set up a price target at http://www.kidcrawl.com for most strollers. That will grab most, but not all prices. I'd really shop around. I paid $60 for my Volo, brand new in box, on ebay, and think it's a good value at that price, but would not pay $130 for it. Depending on where you live, you can find good deals on Craigslist for gently used strollers. Note that Maclarens had a recall in 2009 and 2009 or earlier models need hinge covers - you can get them from the manufacturer if you get a used one without.

We were going to bring the UppaBaby G-Luxe but we tried out a Baby Jogger City Mini and loved it so much we bought it on the spot (it's a 2011 model). The BJCM is our primary stroller now and it will be going on our cruise with us. The recline, the easy fold, the huge canopy - everything is outstanding.

Archived