confused about alcohol byob

excursion99

I would prefer to bring my own booze - but just a small bottle of Midori (green color). My hubby likes, really likes, his wine. He'll drink a bottle a day on a cruise. We're on the Spirit next week and I've heard bringing alcohol - even in a different colored bottle will be confiscated. Then I read that wine can be brought on board but you must pay a $15 corkage fee.

Does the "bringing on board" just mean buying and bringing it on board from a port - Costa Maya, Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel?

If I purchase my bottles of Midori and wine in Costa Maya and bring them on board and OPEN them in my cabin (very secretly lol!) how do I get charged that $15 corkage fee?

I would prefer to bring my own booze - but just a small bottle of Midori (green color). My hubby likes, really likes, his wine. He'll drink a bottle a day on a cruise. We're on the Spirit next week and I've heard bringing alcohol - even in a different colored bottle will be confiscated. Then I read that wine can be brought on board but you must pay a $15 corkage fee.

Does the "bringing on board" just mean buying and bringing it on board from a port - Costa Maya, Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel?

If I purchase my bottles of Midori and wine in Costa Maya and bring them on board and OPEN them in my cabin (very secretly lol!) how do I get charged that $15 corkage fee?

The $15 applies to wine only. You bring it on board upon embarkation and after security they direct you to table to pay. We brought on 9 bottles- no problem.

You may not bring on hard liquor. Any alcohol you buy in port you must surrend upon reboarding and pick up on the last night of sailing bofore disembarkation.

The corkage fee is not for someone opening it for you. It is for the privilege of bringing it on-board and drinking your own wine, not NCL's.

Thanks! That answers my questions.

We'll bring a couple of bottles on board and pay the $15 fee for each bottle in New Orleans.

Not worth it to buy alcohol at port, if you can't drink it on board.

Now to think of how I can smuggle my midori........

Thanks! That answers my questions.

We'll bring a couple of bottles on board and pay the $15 fee for each bottle in New Orleans.

Not worth it to buy alcohol at port, if you can't drink it on board.

Now to think of how I can smuggle my midori........

I'm a rule follower and not a rule breaker, but if you do a search here on "rum runners" you can find some threads on this issue. Keep in mind that drinks on board are no more expensive than a decent restaurant. Personally I would more comfortable bringing on my favorite wine and then purchasing the drinks I wanted, although I understand that if you're a big drinker this can add up.

Archived