Oxygen on board

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have much experience with bringing portable oxygen tanks on the ship? My mom and her friend will be sailing with us on the Splendor in May. We all live close by, so we will be driving to the pier (no flying). Do you normally have it shipped directly to the ship or do you carry it on (If you can carry them on, do you drop them off with your luggage and let the porter take them)? I don't know how many tanks she is taking, I just want to be as prepared as possible, I don't want to get there and have any surprises. I appreciate any help or tips you can offer....This will be her first time doing this and I want to help her.

Thanks and Happy Cruisen

Chris

progress.gif

Sorry I can't answer your question exactly. I tried getting the link and info off Carnival's website but it just doesn't work for me. Call your TA or if you booked directly with Carnival then call them and have your res noted for the special needs. They'll have you fill out a form noting exactly what you need. Ask them who they work with for oxygen. I know people who need wheelchairs usually get them from Care Vacations but I don't know if they also supply oxygen. Whichever company you use they will deliver them right to your cabin so you don't have to worry about them at all.

When you fill out your special needs form online it should ask you about that. When I traveled a couple of cruises back with my grandfather I called the CARNIVAL 1-800 819-3902 to ask a question regarding a ventilator/ breathing machine to see if they were available on the ship because we did not have it with us on the way to the ship.

My PVP called the port or departure directly and contacted the ship med unit. They had one on board to use in the Medical unit and made sure that the pharmacy they used had extra "his brand" athsma pumps if needed for replacement. They told me that if we wanted to rent one through the pharmacy that stocks the ship they could arrange it to be at the port when we checked in.

I would call Carnival for sure to ask. I'm sure they would have a few extra tanks on board in case they are needed, but always good to double check. It may even be a good idea to visit the medical unit as soon as you board just to make them aware of your needs and cabin number just in case of an emergency. It's always better to do a little upfront preparing instead of last minute running around and unexpected problems.

We carried 6 cylinders for my mom, from home. We checked them with our luggage with the porters. They are taken to the purser's desk. You can call and ask for them, as needed. They will be put with your luggage after the cruise. Be sure to put a luggage tag on them.

Archived