LIVE FROM Oceana with video and photographs

Jo and Rob

Thanks for all the updates. We are on our first cruise in July, similar ititery, so very helpful. :)

Can I ask what this Horizon thing is you keep talking about :confused:

Horizon is a daily magazine that informs you of everything thats going on each day. It also has contact numbers if you get left behind :mad:

The link above is a minute video about our visit to Bilbao.

The Horizon is a daily information sheet that is delivered to your cabin each day and explains the entertainment, special events, dining and bar venues with opening hours, information about docking and reboarding times, emergency contact details for the port etc.

Jo's tip 25 - Go to the Guest Services (Reception desk on deck 5 in the Atrium) and collect a spare copy of Horizon for the day. The restaurant and buffet times do change according to the times you are in port so it is a good idea to check everyday.

The Basque artist that the children loved so much at the Fine art museum was Daniel Tamayo. When we got back to the shuttle stop and there were about 150 people in front of us!! I thought this would mean a huge delay while we waited for the next shuttle but not at all. The coaches were filled, drove off and then immediately another coach took its place. There was a P&O representative at the stop who ensured that everything ran smoothly. Three coaches later (10 mins only) we were onboard a coach ourselves heading back to port. It was a lovely coach, everyone had a seat and much better than the squash at La Rochelle.

The weather was so lovely we headed straight for deck 12 and the pools! There were loads of loungers in the shade but they were at a quite sort after by the pool. On deck 14 there were loads of loungers in the sun if you don't mind being further from the pool and jacuzzis.

Jo's tip 26 - If you don't like loungers there are still plenty of tables and chairs on the lido deck (12) and the sun deck (14) both in the sun and in the shade.

For those of you that haven't cruised before there is no need to queue at the bar when you want a drink. The bar waiters will be constantly walking around the pool ready to take your order and there is no additional charge. They are not at all pushy though and if you are not interested they will leave you in peace.

One thing that P&O doesn't have that is available on RCI is free self serve Mr Whippy ice-cream. The Lido deck does have "Sundaes" however, that sells lollies, ice-cream and 99s. I was again very impressed with the price. Oliver's Mr Whippy was only £1.15 and Emily and my 99s (Mr Whippy with a chocolate flake) were £1.60.

Sailaway was great fun with lots of dancing and singing again.

Jo's tip 27 - If you don't want to be near the loud noise but want to see the fun go closer to the funnel on deck 14 away from the main speakers. Deck 14 is also a great place to wave for sailaway.

We managed to get a table for two tonight in the main dining room. Rob called into the MDR on the way back from dropping the children off at club and picked up a pager. The delay was only 30 mins which was enough time to check out the future cruise sails desk before dinner!

Jo's tip 28 - You can get extra on board spend for a future cruise if you want to cruise again with P&O and book within a year. You don't even have to have been on a previous cruise to be a past passenger (despite what travel agents will tell you at home) they will give you all the bonuses as you will be a past passenger by the time you get off. You can either book on board, or for £50 per person you can wait until you get home, book with your local agent, take time choosing your cruise and still get extra cruise credit you would have got for booking onboard!

1251682598_rmz2s-XL.jpg

1251682604_4geLt-XL.jpg

1251682614_cuUEM-XL.jpg

1251682665_QRXKw-XL.jpg

Wednesday afternoon, there was suddenly a huge black billowing of smoke that came from the funnel and Oliver said it smelt like a steam engine. We were on the promenade deck and tiny fragments of soot blew back onto the ship (and all over me!!)

Yesterday morning the captain made an announcement that the turbo charger on one of the engines had blown and despite their engineers efforts they had not been able to fix it during the night. As a result the ship was running late and we didn't dock until after 11am rather than the planned 8.30am. I think that may be connected to my sooty shower don't you?

I thought he was going to say that we would not dock at all so I was really chuffed that we were still be able to see La Coruna. We have never missed a port yet which I know does happen so we felt lucky rather than unlucky with the day! The shore excursions were rearranged and all but one still ran. The captain also put back the departure time so we still had a good amount of time in port. In addition, the Plaza buffet restaurant served lunch at 11.30am so we could have an early lunch before going ashore. It was good to see that they adapted and changed times where possible. The restaurant times remained the same for lunch though.

Rob checked at Guest Services and we are still scheduled to arrive on time at Southampton as they had almost got it fixed, so Mum and Dad don't panic, your holiday should not be affected. I think we may have stopped in the night while they tried to repair the problem which may explain the delay yesterday. No doubt they will have a team of engineers at Southampton with their magic screwdrivers ready to make sure all is completely fixed!!!

Independence of the Seas was also docked at La Coruna and they were given the berth right by the new terminal building. We were given a berth further away and the port authorities insisted on bussing everyone out from dock side rather than letting us walk 5 minutes. Due to the delay everyone wanted to get off at the same time and the port authorities bendy buses couldn't cope with so many people in one go so there were long queues and it took about 30 minutes. People on Indy just walked off the ship and straight into the terminal building so that is just pot luck I suppose and the biggest ship in port will get the prime spot.

It was interesting comparing the photographers at port, to see what the Indy photographers were doing. They have a portable life ring on a stand that says Independence of the Seas which they use as one of the shots. P&O should think about this as some of the dockside shots have been pretty poor and unimaginative worrying more about the light than the background, (although they have dressed up at some which is always great fun).

La Coruna was lovely. Just cross the road from the port and you are immediately in the main town square with fabulous buildings. We walked through the old town and then having not seen a tram in either direction hailed a taxi to get to the Hercules Tower which was only 4 euros including tip! Bargain.

The Hercules Tower is the oldest working lighthouse in the world. The taxi dropped us off at the bottom of the hill and there were sedgeways for hire which Rob has always wanted to do (see photo). They were only 10 euros for 20 minutes (35 euros in Bilbao!) so Rob went for it. The chap gives your instructions and a test run before your official time starts and gave me a test run too so we could both have a turn in the 20 mins. Rob disappeared off into the distance and we started going up the hill to the lighthouse. He then went whizzing past us up the hill and down again. I also had a go on the hill and recommend it! Rob had some of his 20 mins left at the end so the chap even let Oliver have a go on a smaller adult one.

It is an easy but extremely windy walk on the slope up to the lighthouse which was open and had a mini museum underneath it before we started climbing the 233 or so steps. Again it is extremely windy at the top but there are great views of La Coruna and it is good for photographs as you go outside the lighthouse at the top. Entrance fee is 3 euros for adults and 1.5 euros for children. This is the most northerly part of Spain which is interesting for us as we come from the most Easterly part of England.

We went down the grassy side of the hill which was an adventure for the children but only recommended if you are agile as it is a little steep in places. There is a tram stop by the lighthouse so after a 20 minute wait we got to have our ride in the tram. 2 euros (for adults and children) and it will take you to the end of the line near the ship.

We were just in time for afternoon tea (a favourite with us all and not to be missed, with the best cup of tea onboard) which was just what we needed after an early lunch, then we headed for the Lido deck for some sun and fun in the pool.

Jo's tip 29 - Don't miss sail away from the last port. It is the Great British sail away and the outside decks are decorated with Union Jack flags. They give everyone a flag to wave and then do a great sing song with songs from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and finally England including Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory and We are Sailing.

Jo's tip 30 - If you are first sitting get ready for dinner first. We are freedom dining so it didn't affect us and the children were still in the jacuzzi and pool for the flag waving but several (experienced) cruisers were dressed up in their glad rags for the black and white formal night and they looked absolutely amazing waving their flags.

Jo's tip 31 - Treat yourself to a Pimms on the last sail away. We had champagne with the first and decided to have a drink for the last, and it certainly added to the whole occasion. The bar staff have trays of Pimms so you don't even have to move or queue to get your drink and if you fancy something else just say, they will get it for you!

We had more photographs taken tonight and as some on the stairs were too dark last time, Rob got them to drop the shutter speed down this time after they took a few to bring out the ambient light in the background. They were all happy to do this for us.

The food tonight was delicious again particularly the Beef Wellington and the amaretto soufflé. It makes my mouth water again just thinking about it! The waiters are so good with the children even remembering their names which is appreciated as I didn't expect that on Freedom Dining.

Well done P&O for another great day!

It was interesting comparing the photographers at port, to see what the Indy photographers were doing. They have a portable life ring on a stand that says Independence of the Seas which they use as one of the shots. P&O should think about this as some of the dockside shots have been pretty poor and unimaginative worrying more about the light than the background, (although they have dressed up at some which is always great fun).

The photography on Indy was far superior to any P&O cruise ive been on. Our last cruise on Azura was the worst yet for photography. Basic photographic principles just not carried out.

Thank you Jo and Rob, hope you have a great last day and a safe journey home.

We will really miss the daily updates. :)

Perhaps their parents can be persuaded to carry it on while on the following cruise :)

The photography on Indy was far superior to any P&O cruise ive been on. Our last cruise on Azura was the worst yet for photography. Basic photographic principles just not carried out.

We've generally had a mixed bag of results on different cruises, P&O and others (principally Celebrity). Some are good at it, some just get it wrong. I thought they were pretty good on Ventura last May/June. Indeed, I saw some of the older and (presumably) more experienced photographers doing the pictures for a couple of weddings on board. They seemed to be paying attention to all the things you need to pay attention to: lots of well-placed light boxes and reflectors, little or no use of on-camera flash, and use of tripods for the more formal 'posed' shots. (This was in the atrium during the day.) I don't know how the images came out, but the crew members taking the pictures gave the air of a) knowing what they were doing, and b) understanding how important these wedding pictures were.

Hi Jo, Rob, Oliver and Emily

I have enjoyed reading your post's and will miss login on to read your tips in respect of Oceana. You all look as though you had a great time. Thanks once again.

Kind regards Angela

Does antbody know if sail away will be the same on Ventura, champagne, flags and singing? I hope so as it sounds great!

Yes, P&O always have a band on the quayside, champagne (to be paid for) and flags

Brian

Here is a picture of the Rob on the sedgeway which was only 10 euros for 20 minutes at the bottom of the hill of the lighthouse. As you can see, he really enjoyed it!

oceana35-XL.jpg

The is a picture from the lighthouse if you descend the hill on the grassy side rather than the using the path. It is a worn out piece of grass that has turned into a path that we followed so we knew that it was a well trodden alternative, but only take this route if you can cope with the steep bits.

oceana36-XL.jpg

As soon as you come out of the port, cross the road and you will find this beautiful square.

oceana37-XL.jpg

The Great British sail away. A P&O tradition that turns leaving your last port of call into a fantastic party rather than a sad event!

oceana38-XL.jpg

Oliver and Emily didn't even have to get out of the jacuzzi to enjoy the flag waving!

oceana40-XL.jpg

Here is the tram that runs along the coast in La Coruna every 30 minutes and costs 2 euros for adults and children.

oceana32-XL.jpg

Oliver got really excited yesterday morning as he was looking out the window in bed as hand he saw a dolphin jumping out of the water!

It was cooler again yesterday and not a pool day but that didn't matter as there was so much to do. I had the official P&O breakfast in the main dining room which I thoroughly recommend and will post a picture of it later.

Oliver had football in the funnel at 10am, Emily had club, I had line dancing at 10am and Rob found something else to do to get out of line dancing!!

Then at 11am, Rob had returned and was ready for a quickstep lesson. This was definitely easier than the waltz and was great fun as we trotted round the dance floor.

We then headed off to look at the formal photographs to choose a family picture.

Jo's tip 32 - Buy the jpeg file for £7.95 including the CD This will enable you to print as many pictures as you want and adjust the colour and crop if you wish. We bought a photograph of the second formal night (and got a small black and white for free as there was an offer on) and the jpeg which Rob has now loaded onto our computer.

oceana43-XL.jpg

Must dash to breakfast so I will continue this later!

I have loved reading your reports and looking at your fantastic photos - although we are going on the Ventura (on Friday:D!!) a lot of the ports are the same and you've given me lots of ideas as we don't fancy the P&O coach trips.

Was there an age limit on the sedgeways - we really like the look of these, my daughter is 11, will she be old enough to have one for the twenty minutes? Also could you hire them for longer and if so how much were they?

Hope you arrive home safely.

Lovely photos again, thanks for sharing.

A few questions that I hope you can answer for me.

I only drink decaff tea & coffee- will that be in the cabin & also elsewhere on the ship? Are the mugs tiny, should I take a big mug/insulated mug in case I want to take my drink on deck?!

Is the promenade deck wrap around, so I can see from the front of the ship? I loved this on the Black Watch.

Do you think I'll have no trouble taking on a couple of bottles of wine & some water bottles? And was the water in your cabin fridge free or did you have to pay for it?

And what would you say was your favourite place on the ship to be?

Yes, P&O always have a band on the quayside, champagne (to be paid for) and flags

Brian

When I did my Black Watch cruise there was Oceana, Independance, Grand Princess & little Black Watch in Southampton that same Saturday ( August Bank holiday 2009).

I was overawed at the ships, having never seen a cruise ship before.

I was more than a little :D at the band playing for Oceana then, so I'll be happy to experience the band playing for us in two weeks time!!!

Jules,

P&O give you two small bottles of water free to start you off. After that you have to pay or use water out of the tap which is quite drinkable.

Decaff tea and coffee is available. If you dont happen to have some in your cabin, just ask your cabin steward. You can also get sachets of hot chocolate and Horlicks if you want and various fruit and herbal teas (Twinnings).

Brian

Gorgeous family photo - the kids look so sweet all dressed up - loving the little tiara.

Thanks for all of the tips and the useful info like how long the shuttle rides are etc - we are doing the same itinerary as you in August, so it's been a fab resource.

Glad you had a fab time and were jammy with the weather!

I have loved reading your reports and looking at your fantastic photos - although we are going on the Ventura (on Friday:D!!) a lot of the ports are the same and you've given me lots of ideas as we don't fancy the P&O coach trips.

Was there an age limit on the sedgeways - we really like the look of these, my daughter is 11, will she be old enough to have one for the twenty minutes? Also could you hire them for longer and if so how much were they?

Hope you arrive home safely.

Your daughter will definitely be able to do it as Oliver is only 8 and was allowed to go on them. I am sure you could hire them for longer the chap running it was really helpful and was great at explaining it to us. The sedgeway was 10 euros for 20 minutes but I don't know if he would do discounts for longer.

Our last sea day continued...

You know what it is like when you only have 24 hours on the ship and don't want to miss anything? That was us yesterday. Emily didn't want miss a minute of kids club, only wanting to come out for lunch at the Horizon grill and the kids buffet for tea. Oliver was dashing from pillar to post with football in the funnel, kids club, Horizon grill lunch, kids club, afternoon tea, shuffleboard, more club! Thank goodness it wasn't hot I don't know how they would have fitted in swimming and jacuzzi! I think the kids club staff were amused as we went backwards and forwards so they didn't miss anything on their last day.

It was pirate day at kids club today and the children loved it. They made hats and treasure maps, had a treasure hunt, threw the pirate in the pool for stealing the treasure etc etc. They also went to a magic show in the starlights theatre. Events on previous days have included discos, karaoke, and a funhouse show. They have surfer dollars that they can earn for participating in various activities and get extra for doing well (Oliver came second for his treasure map and won the Miss Oceana competition in the evening!! - the boys all dressed up -nothing to do with us- and Oliver introduced himself as "Olivia" who we were told had them all in stitches!!!) The club staff obviously enjoy their job and are happy to recount funny events of the day. I chatted to one who was actually a teacher taking a year out and they all have to be qualified in childcare which reassuring rather than just being CRB checked.

During the last evening the children exchange their dollars for prizes. It sounds like they all had a choice between a lanyard of some chews so no one was left out, and the person with most got both. The children really loved the club and somehow negociated a late pick up of 10.30pm on the last night! The only problem you will have is the fact that they love club so much they won't want to be picked up!!

We grabbed our last chance to eat lunch at Cafe Jardin which has a self serve salad bar which makes a nice little starter (Rob had garlic bread) then we both had the coq au vin. (No I didn't have a burger too with the children at the Horizon grill!)

We didn't eat at the Plaza in the evenings but it was a Thai buffet last night which looked so inviting I had a little as an appetiser before dinner (it was our last day!!) We only had a 30 minute wait for a table for 2 which was fine. Our last dinner was perfect. The food and service were perfect as was our £7.80 half a litre carafe of wine. I didn't have the cheese though (which was probably due to that Thai appetiser).

Jo's tip 33 - I recommend the port infused stilton which was delicious but doesn't come out on the board so you need to ask for it.

I have the Surfers programme and have kept all the Horizons so if anyone has any questions I'm happy to help.

Rob is busy working on our ship video which we will post and we have more photos which we will post now we are home.

http://www.youtube.com/user/robdigphot?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/ZlmtwBCFO0g

Here is a ship tour of our cruise on Oceana. We found some interesting facts based on a 14 day cruise so we included some of those too.

The tour gives you a glimpse of the main areas of the ship with commentary of where to find them.

We hope you enjoy it. :)

Archived