Equinox in Med: May or October?

Yooper2

We had planned on taking a Med cruise in October 2012, but now I see they also have the same itinerary in May, at a time that would work well for us. So far, my analysis shows temperatures about the same at both times of year. but October is rainier and you have light later in the day in May. Also, for an equivalent stateroom, May is cheaper.

For those of you who have cruised the Med in either of those timeframes, can you see any other advantage of one over the other? Or, should I just pick one and go with it -- May IS sooner!!

We much prefer the westbound TAs. You gain an hour each day on the last 5-6 days rather than losing an hour as on the eastbound. You also do all the heavy, tiring touring on the front end and get to relax for 5-6 days at the end of the journey. Just the opposite on the eastbound. Plus, for us, because we live in South Florida, we can buy as much wine, souvenirs, etc as we want because luggage weight limits are not an issue, and we are home within an hour of walking off the ship.

For the last 2 years we've cruised the Med in May and the weather has been absolutely perfect - not too hot, not too cold and very little rain and the Med has been incredibly smooth! Also, it is not as crowded as the Med gets in peak season. We're going again this year! All I can say is that the Med in May is absolutely addictive! The only issue: in some areas it might be a bit too cold to swim in an open deck unheated pool - so if that is important to you, make sure the ship has an enclosed pool area. It is never too cold to sit outside during this time of year.

IMO, either one would be perfect because both May and October are not as crowded. We have taken 2 Med cruises, both times in the beginning of October because the time frame worked best for us. The weather was perfect and the crowds were very manageable. If May works for you and is less expensive, go with it. You will not be disappointed.

Archived