Legend in October

officerstinson

when i went to these ports the weather was beautiful in all ports (and hot!)

i have not sailed on the Legend yet(we set sail on 6/26) however I did these ports on the carnival valor in 2009.

my advice- In Roatan- go to Tabayana Beach!!!!:D It is cheap through carnival and worth every penny. My boyfriend was snorkeling with giant sea turtles. its was absolutely beautiful!! (Can you tell how much i loved it?)

Belize- We went to Bakab (I believe its called) another excursion through the ship. we went horseback riding through the rain forest. it was stunning. after they take you to a beautiful pool. worth the money. i believe its about $100 per person. this is definitely a port i would book an excursion.

Cozumel- So much fun. We just rented a scooter and found our own private beaches. then returned the scooters and spent the day a carlos and charlies. so much fun.

grand cayman is very touristy and built up. take a cab or scooter to seven mile beach. i dont feel a need to get a tour on this island.

(also make sure you try all the local beers. its one of my favorite things to do and MUCH MUCH cheaper then on the boat)

You will love the Legend!

Sadly, we missed Grand Cayman due to weather. *sigh*

We did a Carnival catamaran snorkel in Roatan and a Carnival zipline excursion in Belize. Both were great. I was nursing a sore ankle (from the zipline) while in Cozumel, so we just took a taxi to beach and hung out for a few hours.

Before you considering renting ANY kind of a vehicle, scooter, or dune buggy in ANY foreign port, read this: http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/2011/03/saved-from-hell-in-jail-cell-at-cozumel.html

Have a great cruise! :)

Just curious if anyone has been on the Legend in Oct and wondering what the weather is like in Belize, Honduras, GC and Cozumel.. . also maybe some good excursions on any or all 4 ports....thanks for any info.

I have not been to these ports yet, but will actually be on the Legend and at these ports in exactly 6 months. ;)

Currently we have excursions for Honduras and Grand Cayman booked. From what I have been reading the weather is beautiful with temps in the 80's or so.

You might want to check out some of the roll calls for the Legend that are upcoming in October and get some feedback there.

Good luck and hope you find an itinerary that works for you. :)

We sailed on the Legend in the last week of October 2010. Weather in all ports was great - and we were actually sailing between two hurricanes. One had just gone through the Western Caribbean (we couldn't go to Belize, went to Costa Maya instead) and one was following us as we left. But the weather in all the ports was very nice, warm and sunny. The seas were smooth and calm, we didn't notice any rough periods. I think you need to aware that you WILL be sailing during hurricane season. As to excursions: Stingray City and Rum Pointe Beach in Grand Cayman, Sea Trek helmet dive in Cozumel, Dolphin Encounter/Tabyana Beach in Roatan, Altun Ha Mayan Ruins/River Wallace in Belize. We've sailed the Legend twice and love her.

Did the Legend last year mid-October. Great weather all week. Hurricane followed us and hit Belize the weekend after we were there on Thursday. We had one downpour as we were getting ready to leave Roatan.

As for excursions, we had been to all of the ports before except Roatan. (The purpose of the vacation changed a few weeks before the cruise when we discovered some lumps in my husband's neck and he was scheduled for surgery the week after the cruise. Relaxation and enjoying each other's company became the main focus.) In Grand Cayman, we just wandered downtown a bit, then back to the ship to relax. In Cozumel, we went to Nachi and had a great time. Roatan, we made it into a beach day, going to Mahogany Bay. (Beware, the drinks are very strong!!), and in Belize, we went snorkeling on the reef and had an awesome time!

Be prepared for anything. You will either have awesome weather (and great rates on your cruise!), or you might go to ports that you hadn't planned on seeing! Just enjoy!

Here in the Southern US we are still in the upper 70's and 80's in October.

Needless to say, if you are going hundreds of miles to the south, in Mexico, etc...

It will still be plenty warm, just not as oppresively hot and humid as it is in May, June, July, August and September.

You picked a GREAT time to cruise the western.

Enjoy.

Bill

Just curious if anyone has been on the Legend in Oct and wondering what the weather is like in Belize, Honduras, GC and Cozumel.. . also maybe some good excursions on any or all 4 ports....thanks for any info.

Living in Tampa I have taken more than a few cruises out of here in Oct and Nov to those areas....Weather is great and the ports you are doing will still be hot....

Side note and slight downside...Most hurricanes in Oct and Nov start in the western gulf and move east....Akways a big fear for Tampa...

Never a problem for me though....All have been great cruises...

These are all great ports! :) We will be on the Legend Oct. 23 and looking forward to it. The weather was beautiful when we cruised a few years back, so we are hoping the same thing will be true this Oct. I would prepare/pack just like you would for the summer months, but maybe through in a light jacket just in case. Enjoy your cruise!! ;)

We sailed on the Legend in the last week of October 2010. Weather in all ports was great - and we were actually sailing between two hurricanes. One had just gone through the Western Caribbean (we couldn't go to Belize, went to Costa Maya instead) and one was following us as we left. But the weather in all the ports was very nice, warm and sunny. The seas were smooth and calm, we didn't notice any rough periods. I think you need to aware that you WILL be sailing during hurricane season. As to excursions: Stingray City and Rum Pointe Beach in Grand Cayman, Sea Trek helmet dive in Cozumel, Dolphin Encounter/Tabyana Beach in Roatan, Altun Ha Mayan Ruins/River Wallace in Belize. We've sailed the Legend twice and love her.

Was on the same cruise! Ditto to his comments. We really lucked out with our week. Just remember to go with an open mind cause October seems, on average, to be the most active month in the Caribbean for hurricanes. Thus the reason prices are much cheaper.

thanks everyone for the input on the Legend. Jobel......I can see why you cruise so much.....who could stand being in Blacksburg all the time....GOOOOO HOOS....kidding....thanks again.....and Becca are u a UK grad? We are just south of lexington in Richmond Ky.:D:D

thanks everyone for the input on the Legend. Jobel......I can see why you cruise so much.....who could stand being in Blacksburg all the time....GOOOOO HOOS....kidding....thanks again.....and Becca are u a UK grad? We are just south of lexington in Richmond Ky.:D:D

Born and raised in Lex. Mom still lives there. Moved here to NC 10 years ago but will ALWAYS be a Kentucky fan!!!!:D

Lol...they don't call it Bleaksburg for nothing. ;) But you did just lose cool points for saying Hoos. :p

Whatever cruise you decide on, you will have an amazing time. I'm still trying to figure out why it took us so long to take our first one last year. lol.

I totally forgot to offer excursion suggestions. I'm a beach bum and I'm cheap, so my stuff is beach-focused and cheapy -focused:

Grand Cayman - short taxi ride (around $4pp) to Royal Palm section of 7 Mile Beach. Sand and water are awesome! Free access to beach. Can rent beach chairs for nominal charge. We opted to throw our towels on the sand instead. There's an open-air bar with eats and drinks and a DJ spinning some tunes. We usually just stay several hours then head back to the ship for lunch. I just can't justify buying food when it's free on the ship. Unless of course it's something island-specific you are wanting to try. Also several blocks of touristy shops to purchase trinkets, tees, etc....

Cozumel: We took a nascar-esque taxi ride:eek: to Paradise Beach. Can't remember what I paid, but it was steep in my opinion, even after haggling. Beach was free. Chairs were 2 bucks each. A Hurricane had gone through the week prior so that may have tainted my opinion, but the water was murky and stinky. If you are willing to spend some cash, there is an all-inclusive place called Nochi Coccum (sp?) that folks rave about. May try that next time. Again, touristy shops all over the port area to get your trinkets.

Roatan: Again, being a beach bum and cheap, this port hit the spot for me. There's a beautiful beach (Mahagony Beach) that's a 5 minute walk from the ship. Or you can opt for the chair lift that's $5pp. The beach area is run by the cruiseline so regular loungers were free to use. If you are more into experiencing the true Honduran culture then you may look for an excursion outside the port area.

Belize: Thanks to Hurricane week prior this port was cancelled. But we we're looking at Cave Tubing as this is one of the most popular choices. You can go through Carnival or an independent operator. If you go to the Belize board on here, you will see numerous mentions.

The cave tubing was fantastic....did it in 2009 in belize....booked it on my own,,,i will try and find the company name..i can tell you the owner is Dennis Martinez,,,,i will have to find the company name.....you will love it. The money thing is a big issue...I would rather eat on the ship....agree totally with the "its already paid for" logic.

Archived