Why go Bermuda?

CoolCruiser21

Everytime I hear someone wanting to sail on the Majesty/Crown I wonder why. With so many bigger and newer ships out there why sail in these tiny tuna cans. Is it simply becuase you want to get to Bernuda? I once sailed on the Dawn and it was parked next to the the Crown. One look at the Crown and was thankful I was not sailing on her.

you obviously have no understanding of ships or their appeal. both are fine vessels that reflect a truer taste of cruising than you can get from one of todays behemoths where nearly all contact with the SEA is lost! :rolleyes:

Any ship taking me to Bermuda would be a fine trip. Ever been there? It's the most beautiful and clean island you will ever see. Turquoise water and pink sand, pastel houses with white Wedding Cake roofs. Proper English people in Bermuda Shorts. It's wonderful!

Bermuda is easily our favorite island port of call. Beautiful beaches, friendly people and easy to get around make Bermuda a desirable destination for any cruise ship. The fact it is difficult or impossible for large cruise ships to dock there should not prevent anyone from cruising to this idyllic island on any cruise ship available.

If you really want to enjoy Bermuda, the "tiny tuna cans" are the only way to go....They are the only ships that can dock at all 3 ports ...There are ships that are more your style, but you only get one night in Bermuda...

We have been to Bermuda four times on the Majesty -- twice in October, twice in July, and have our next cruise scheduled in May on the Majesty to Bermuda. Our first four cruises, in fact, were on the Majesty (which is always very convenient for us since we live about 40 minutes from Black Falcon pier). Then we booked an 11-day on the Dawn -- INCREDIBLE!!! Haven't posted a review yet (and since I've read so many positive reviews, it's probably redundant), but I'm sure you can all get the drift from other reviews on the boards, and DH and I agree it was THE BEST cruise we have ever been on. Yet, we are back to the Majesty... Why?? We LOVE the ship -- it's small, easy to get around, kind of like "going home" to that same cottage on the Cape or house in Florida -- the crew stays on this ship for years, and it scary when they remember you -- in a nice way, of course! And above all, we just LOVE Bermuda! The ABSOLUTE BEST PORT ever!

I've been on 11 cruises and most of them have been on large ships. Yet my favorite cruise of all was on the old Pacific Princess-- quite old and only 640 pax-- to Bermuda! Not only is Bermuda wonderful, and in a class by itself, but a smaller ship has amazing charms of its own-- not the least of which is that you really get to know the other passengers and the crew, as well. Until you've sailed a small ship, you'll never know how wonderful it can be.

Shelli, you are absolutly correct! My wife and I sailed the old Pacific Princess to Bermuda on her next to last voyage (her last one was a trans atlantic to the port where she would be sold). We went on our honeymoon, and had a blast! Although the ship was small (and teeming with geriatric patrons!), we experienced the best service ever! We also liked the fact that we basically got to see the whole island. Since that was back in what we refer to as our "poor" days, we only spent $1500 for the trip, and like $500 on the boat itself. We sailed the Carnival conquest last year, and had 3,200 drunk nitwits as company...we are by no means prudes, but honestly, why would you drop $5,000 and travel all the way to Cozumel just to get drunk? Anyway, I digress...we have gone on a total of 3 cruises, and are leaving on the Dream Easter Sunday with my two daughters and MIL. In short, we have found that the mid-size ships are def. the way to go!

Why Bermuda? Its such a beautiful island!!! Why the Majesty? I live 15 miles south of Boston. It is so cool to hope in the car, be at the ship in a 1/2 hour, cruise to a beautiful island, come back in a week, and me back home in a 1/2 hour. As more cruise ships depart from Boston we will probably give them a try too.

Patty

Everytime I hear someone wanting to sail on the Majesty/Crown I wonder why. With so many bigger and newer ships out there why sail in these tiny tuna cans. Is it simply becuase you want to get to Bernuda? I once sailed on the Dawn and it was parked next to the the Crown. One look at the Crown and was thankful I was not sailing on her.

CoolCruiser21,

Why would I choose to sail on the N. Crown to Bermuda? Because it docks in all 3 ports -- not having to travel back and forth between ports on my own is a great advantage!

I also like sailing on a smaller ship for all the reasons stated by others -- you don't get lost in the mob scene in the ports, you get to meet some of the other passengers (freestyle doesn't have assigned dining room tables) and your ship actually fits in the ports!

I also sailed on the Pacific Princess (the original Love Boat) to Bermuda and had a wonderful time. That's why I booked the N. Crown from NYC on 5/29/05 -- older ship, larger cabins, less passengers.

Maraprince:)

we have taken the majesty to bermuda 3 times ,,living 1/2 hr north of boston helps.. we go in october,,last yr was slightly ruffer than other years.... bermuda is beautiful at that time of year,you can still swim there. going on dawn to do the mothers day cruise... w/ probably get lost on large boat. supposed to go on spirit next nov, but going to reschedule may do the jewel of the seas on rc instead out of boston in sept/oct goes to caribbean but hits bermuda for 2 days on the way

:rolleyes:

majesty 2001,2003,2004

1) Because Bermuda is the most beautiful port we have ever been to.

2) The Majesty might be an older much smaller ship than the Dawn, but each time we have sailed the Majesty, the staff and the service couldn't have been any better.

3) Sea days on the Majesty are fun. We have sailed both May and August and had fun each time on sea days.

4) You get to spend 3 days in one port. You don't have to hop from island to island. You really get a chance to explore.

5) We live 60 minutes south of Boston. No flying involved :)

6) The Majesty is just right. Not too big and not too small. You don't get lost or need a map to find your way around. There are plenty of place to get away from it all.

7) Don't knock the "tuna cans" until you have sailed one. You just don't know what you are missing!

cool cruiser ...we live in metrowest/central Ma also and will taking our first family cruise to Bermuda this July. we will be with our two teenage boys . I am glad that the MAjesty is "smaller" than some of the bigger vessles..whats the point of being on the sea if you dont even know it or feel it? Hows the parking at the Pier.Whats a good time to get there.Do you hang out on the ship till 4:oo or did you "do" Boston? thanks...

We sailed on the Majesty last September to Bermuda with 2 teenagers and an extended family of 12. It was a great time. Bermuda is the best island to visit for its beauty, weather, politeness and culture. We also live 20 minutes west of Boston so the Majesty is an easy trip. Parking is cheap, you can get there at 11 or at 2 and get right on board. The crew is friendly and they actually remember you. I have taken this cruise 4 times and will always choose sailing from Boston if thats an option.

Have a great time!

I've been on 11 cruises and most of them have been on large ships. Yet my favorite cruise of all was on the old Pacific Princess--

Thats so funny.... I agree 100%. I also was on that ship with my Grandparents in 2000. I never had a problem finding them on the ship. I enjoyed Bermuda and always felt comfortable.

My first cruise was on NCL Southward in 1980,I have also sailed on Norway.Lately most of my cruises have been on Celebrity.I am seriously planning on coming back to NCL for Bermuda.I love the 3 stop itinerary and feel freestyle dinning will fit in so much better.More time to explore the nightlife on the island.I am sure we will have a fantastic time.

I too love Bermuda and used to sail on QE2. Since she no longer sails there and QM2 is not slated to, am going three times this year on Radisson Navigator, Celebirty Zenith and RCCL Voyager of the Seas. Sailed on the first two there last year and loved them both. I did note those cabins sure are small. Their taking over the Princess 3 stop itinery is a plus however, we always ahve fun taking the fast ferry to the Wharf. As long as we get to Hamilton and Saint George am happy. Celebrity had the best - 2 days in St George. My only regret for all the ships is that we will miss the street fair.

Archived