Mercury left San Diego at 10:30am this morning - why?

bryanwal

I was looking at the San Diego cruise port webcam this morning around 10:30am and saw Mercury back out and sail away. I thought she was scheduled for a 9-night Mexican Riviera cruise and to sail away at 5pm? Does anyone know what happened? Was the cruise cancelled? Is she going into drydock? Was there an emergency?

You won't have her for long - she'll be ours up here in Seattle after that through the end of September! I was looking over some of the 3 to 5 night Pacific Northwest cruises in September - pretty tempting for quick getaway.

I was wondering about the Krooz-Cams itinerary myself - maybe they made it up!

My office in San Diego overlooks the cruise pier. Normally you see lots of passengers on the deck as a cruise liner departs. Even with binoculars, I could see no passengers on the Mercury. Moreover, she was not listed as being due in on the San Diego Port District web site of liners coming to San Diego. It sure seems a bit odd.

When a ship repositions empty or goes to dry or wet dock the crew have to do all the extra cleaning that can't be done when passengers are aboard. They spend extra time disinfecting etc etc. It is particularly hard on the crew that serve passengers because they lose out on the tips for those days.

From now on the Mercury is all ours up here in Northern California! :D
Yes, and we are very excited! Some government law prohibits cruise ships from sailing between U.S. ports (with passengers) without stopping at a foreign port. She's here, in SF now!

Just got off the Mercury 11 night Mexican Riviera cruise yesterday. We were in the last group to get off the ship, and were quite surprised when, about 5 minutes later, while we were waiting for our ride to pick us up, we heard the blasts from her horn, and then saw her sail away!! We knew what was happening, just didn't expect it to happen quite that soon. Too bad she didn't sail away before we could get off. :) We would have loved to been "held captive" on the Mercury for another 9 days!!

The crew was pretty excited to be sailing to San Francisco without passengers. They were going to have use of some of the public areas, where they were never allowed to go. Also they were having a BBQ, being treated to a show by the Celebrity Singers and Dancers, and a big party afterwards. Some we talked to were just looking forward to the opportunity to SLEEP! They work such long, hard hours and are expected to always have a smile, no matter how tired they are. It was nice to know that they are getting even a short break.

For anyone who is cruising soon on the Mercury, please look up a fine young man named "African", who does made-to-order omelets in the morning and often carves the roasts, etc. at lunch. Also our waiter named "Erbay" in the Manhattan Restaurant. He was fantastic, and we all wanted to take him home with us. Tell them Art & Joy say hello. They will definitely remember us. Wish we were back on board. We miss all the wonderful people we met who are serving on the crew of the Mercury.

Joy

Hello!

OK, I need to pick your brain here, we are scheduled for a cruise on the Mercury at the end of this month and would like to know all the fabulous things you enjoyed as well as if you are aware of any illnesses on board during the cruise. PLEASE! :D

I spent some time today watching her go into port in SF and then going under the bridge and boy are we excited!

Thanks a bunch

Just got off the Mercury 11 night Mexican Riviera cruise yesterday. We were in the last group to get off the ship, and were quite surprised when, about 5 minutes later, while we were waiting for our ride to pick us up, we heard the blasts from her horn, and then saw her sail away!! We knew what was happening, just didn't expect it to happen quite that soon. Too bad she didn't sail away before we could get off. :) We would have loved to been "held captive" on the Mercury for another 9 days!!

The crew was pretty excited to be sailing to San Francisco without passengers. They were going to have use of some of the public areas, where they were never allowed to go. Also they were having a BBQ, being treated to a show by the Celebrity Singers and Dancers, and a big party afterwards. Some we talked to were just looking forward to the opportunity to SLEEP! They work such long, hard hours and are expected to always have a smile, no matter how tired they are. It was nice to know that they are getting even a short break.

For anyone who is cruising soon on the Mercury, please look up a fine young man named "African", who does made-to-order omelets in the morning and often carves the roasts, etc. at lunch. Also our waiter named "Erbay" in the Manhattan Restaurant. He was fantastic, and we all wanted to take him home with us. Tell them Art & Joy say hello. They will definitely remember us. Wish we were back on board. We miss all the wonderful people we met who are serving on the crew of the Mercury.

Joy

:rolleyes: Ok, obviously I was not quite awake yet when I posted LOL. Here's the web addy for the Mercury camera: www.kroozcam.com.

Sorry (going back to make another pot of coffee now.........)

Hello!

OK, I need to pick your brain here, we are scheduled for a cruise on the Mercury at the end of this month and would like to know all the fabulous things you enjoyed as well as if you are aware of any illnesses on board during the cruise. PLEASE! :D

I spent some time today watching her go into port in SF and then going under the bridge and boy are we excited!

Thanks a bunch

Archived