Epic review, April 2nd-9th, LONG with pictures

nathand95

Wow! I'm shocked people are still finding this and reading my review. I am looking at my photobucket account right now and it is allowing everyone. I will post a couple more links and hope they work.

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/nathandeese/

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/nathandeese/mom%20pics%20from%20Spring%20Break%202011/

If those do not work,let me know. Here is a link to my pictures on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1760645373493.2090857.1159813654

Also, if anybody would like to add me on facebook,feel free to. I have not been on CC in forever, due to a computer virus and going to Costa Rica. The trip was amazing. I had been talking so much about my trip to CR. Would anyone like to see the pics from CR? I will put some on photobucket and share that link. I have some major CC catching up to do! Hope everyone had a great 4th of July!

Thanks For The Epic Review. Im Going In 24 Days And this Has Informed Me On What To Do As I Am Meeting With Other Teens As Well :)

Thank you for reading my review. I hope you have a great first cruise. Did you set up a facebook page. That is how I met so many people before the cruise. Also, check on your roll call.

Thanks a bunch!

No problem. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Already you have me hooked, love your review so far. You are a very good writer, hard to believe you are only 15!

haha thank you so much! I am 16 now by the way. I had such a time getting pictures on it, but I finally got it figured out, but then they all disappeared because I went over the monthly upload limit. One thing after another!

Thank you for reading my review. I hope you have a great first cruise. Did you set up a facebook page. That is how I met so many people before the cruise. Also, check on your roll call.

No problem. If you have any other questions just let me know.

haha thank you so much! I am 16 now by the way. I had such a time getting pictures on it, but I finally got it figured out, but then they all disappeared because I went over the monthly upload limit. One thing after another!

How did you set up a facebook page? Create a group, or make a whole new page for the cruise? I'm asking because I searched and can't find anyone who did this. I think it's a good idea, and would like to do it. Thanks!

How did you set up a facebook page? Create a group, or make a whole new page for the cruise? I'm asking because I searched and can't find anyone who did this. I think it's a good idea, and would like to do it. Thanks!

I believe this is the link to set up a facebook group.

http://www.*****

I set up a group, not a like page. I didn't intend to do a group,but it turned out well. I gave the group name to people on our roll call and then they requested to join. I had not intended for people to have to request to join, but it seemed to work out okay and after I gave everyone a link and the name, everyone who wished to join found it.

The group worked excelent! We were able to reach out to non-CC members. We were able to share tips to them. Not many teens are on CC (shocker!!! :p;)), so all the adults on our roll call had their kids join the group, so I was able to meet alot of teens before coming on board. We tossed around the idea for awhile on our roll call, but it feel by the wayside for a bit, so I decided to make the group and see how it went and I am sure glad I did! I hope your group works out as well as mine did.

Nathan I am sort of in love with you in a maternal sort of way(lol) you are amazing the review, your writing, everything. You could be the Rick Steves of your generation, or Cruise director, or anything. Your personable, smart, and willing to try new things. What 16 year old american wants to eat escargot? That is impressive. I am going on the Epic Sept 2012 out of Spain. I have done this cruise alot and decided to do it again so I can spend time on the ship while everyone runs around and gets exhausted. I will get off and see some ports but the ship was a big factor in going back to Europe. Your parents must be so proud of you. Reach for the stars Nathan I think you can do anything you want, good luck in life, Maria

Nathan I am sort of in love with you in a maternal sort of way(lol) you are amazing the review, your writing, everything. You could be the Rick Steves of your generation, or Cruise director, or anything. Your personable, smart, and willing to try new things. What 16 year old american wants to eat escargot? That is impressive. I am going on the Epic Sept 2012 out of Spain. I have done this cruise alot and decided to do it again so I can spend time on the ship while everyone runs around and gets exhausted. I will get off and see some ports but the ship was a big factor in going back to Europe. Your parents must be so proud of you. Reach for the stars Nathan I think you can do anything you want, good luck in life, Maria

Wow thank you so much Maria! that just made my day,er...early morning;) I have to ask though,who is Rick Steves? I have tossed around the idea of working on a ship. Maybe after college take a year and do something crazy like work on a cruise ship. I'm interested in engineering, so maybe do some work with NCL, but who knows. I still have 2 more years of high school.

I hope you have a great cruise. The ship is unlike any other I have been on. Be sure to take advantage of the specialty resaurants if you like. They are worth the cost. There is so much to do on the ship that you will still be finding stuff the day you disembark!

Happy Sailing!:)

Thank you for reading my review. I just read somewhere else on here that the Western itin. has been canceled. I'm not sure if this is old news, but it was news to me. I'm glad I got to experience this itin. before it was canceled. I checked the NCL website to be sure and sure enough, there are no more Western itin's. Does anyone have any news as to why NCL canceled this itin.?

Nathan just finished your review. What can I say. Very well written with fantastic pictures!!! Your parents should be very proud of you. You seem like a great kid and know where your going in life. I just wish more teens had it together like you do. I do believe your generation is in good hands with people like you in the world. Its very refreshing to see this!! Just goes to show a little education can go a long way. Now I wish I could just jump on the Epic and be gone for a week!!!!! I have been debating between the Epic, Carnival Freedom , RCL FOS and Mariner of the Seas. From reading your review and a few others Epic is in the lead!!! Besides they have the Studio cabins which is a big plus. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Im sure you helped out many people!

Hi Nathan I learned about Rick Steves from cruise critic, he is a travel writer and I think he had a tv series. I just bought a book of mediterean ports of call he wrote he makes money by travelling would have been my kind of job, look him up online take care

Nathan just finished your review. What can I say. Very well written with fantastic pictures!!! Your parents should be very proud of you. You seem like a great kid and know where your going in life. I just wish more teens had it together like you do. I do believe your generation is in good hands with people like you in the world. Its very refreshing to see this!! Just goes to show a little education can go a long way. Now I wish I could just jump on the Epic and be gone for a week!!!!! I have been debating between the Epic, Carnival Freedom , RCL FOS and Mariner of the Seas. From reading your review and a few others Epic is in the lead!!! Besides they have the Studio cabins which is a big plus. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Im sure you helped out many people!

Thank you for the wonderful words. I can't wait to cruise again just so I can do another extensive review, but I don't know if I'm cruising in 2012.

If you are a single traveler then the Epic would be the most afortable option. Personally, I am not a huge fan of Carnival, unless it has an incredible itin. I know that the Freedom does a route to Cozumel,Costa Rica, and Panama. I would definitely go on Carnival for that itin. I wish I had some pictures and remembered my past CCL cruises to write a review. I've never been on RCL, but I hope Navigator ots will be my next cruise.

I hope you have a great cruise on whichever ship you choose. If you have any other questions about Studios or the ship in general feel free to ask.

Hi Nathan I learned about Rick Steves from cruise critic, he is a travel writer and I think he had a tv series. I just bought a book of mediterean ports of call he wrote he makes money by travelling would have been my kind of job, look him up online take care

I would love to have his job!!! I just checked out his website and he looks like the man to go to for Europe. I think I may have to get a few of his books to read up on Europe. Thanks for informing me about him!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome review and photos buddy. Really thorough and entertaining. I couldn't wait going from page to page to see what was next. I'm booked to go on the Epic Nov 19th and you've just made the wait soooooooooooo much worse! :-)

Once again thank you for all your effort on this one,

Andrew (Sydney, Australia)

I just finished reading your review and I really loved it! It’s nice to see the Epic from a different point of view. I was really tired of reading negative and nit picky reviews about the ship, your review was a breath of fresh air! My husband and I are sailing on the Epic in January and I cannot wait! Thanks for the tip on how to find the ice cream at the buffet, I will be writing that down!

WOW Nathan. Thanks for this review of the Epic and the gorgeous pictures. I am thinking of taking her to Europe but first want to see where the new ships are going in 2013. I sailed on the Oasis of the Seas last year and I'm telling you there is nothing like it. You should definitely experience it. It is a MONSTER!!

Nathan

I have just spent the best part of a couple of hours reading through your fantastic review - I go solo on the Epic in OCT 2012 and although I will not be going down the slides (would probably drown :eek:) or hanging out with teens (I will be 50!!) - your review has given me loads of pointers and information.

I only wish more of the youth in the UK had your outstanding attitude in life - bravo!! :)

Me during sailaway

MomspicsfromSpringBreak2011034.jpg

My amazing parents and I during sailaway

MomspicsfromSpringBreak2011037.jpg

At about 4:45 we decided to head bakc down to our cabins and get ready for dinner. When we arrived all 5 bags had arrived. Tonight we had dinner reservation at Le Bistro at 6:00.

at 5:55 we arrived to a nearly empty Le Bistro. The restaurant had such a nice atmosphere about it. It was dim and had music playing making it feel very romantic. We had no trouble getting a table next to the window

Not to shabby eh?

SpringBreak2011065.jpg

Before coming to Le Bistro I looked on the tv which has the menus for every single restaurant on board. I knew exactly what I was going to get: the escargot and the duck.

The escargot was amazing!!!!! Best I've ever had.

SpringBreak2011066.jpg

SpringBreak2011067.jpg

My stepdad got the muscles and they were served in a large pot that the waitress then scooped onto your plate. I tried one and again, was quite impressed. Also, we were giving an appetizer that was "compliments of the chef" of a salmon spread and bread. It was AGAIN exquisite!!!!

Next came the creme de la creme! The main course. I had duck,my mom had coq au vin and my stepdad had boullabaise (?). This was my first time having duck so I did not know what to expect.

SpringBreak2011068.jpg

I was highly impressed. It cut like butter and melted in my mouth! I normally don't eat asparagus, but this asparagus was very good. Cruises are the only time where I willingly eat my vegetables. We all 3 cleaned our plates and for once my mom did not complain about a meal. (She is very picky.)

Your review is keeping me glued to this thread ! We've been on many Carnival cruises, but are now wanting to try something "new"......we are sailing on the EPIC 2/4/12 so I'm gleaning all the information I can get my hands on......actually, our 1st NCL cruise isnt on the EPIC, but she is such a big ship and there's so much to learn.

Le Bistro is definately on our list, my husband loves duck, so I'll have to show him your photo, and I love French food ! DId any of you ever try the onion soup ? I'm a picky eater as well, so glad your mom enjoyed the food there.

Did you make ressies for Le Bistro or just show up ?

Ok, just finished your review - thanks soo much.

You remind me of my son who is now a grown man and has a very good job, 2 children . We took him and 3 of his friends on a cruise with NCL for a graduation present, (the friends paid their own way) it was on the Skyward. They were all responsible teens and we gave them the run of the ship in the daytime and at night after dinner. (they had to eat with us for dinner) They all had a great time and didnt have a bit of trouble with any of them. They were NOT allowed to roam around in the ports alone and that suited them fine. They had one room with 2 uppers and 2 lowers and I think they were on a differnt deck.....parents need to give teens a chance to explore, see and do things on their own, helps them to grow up.

He got a full scholarship to UF (go Gators) and got his Master's at American in DC 0 he is now traveling the world for his job and he loves it. He worked/lived in Capetown S.A. for 2 years. He is living his dream and he worked hard to get there.

So pursue your dreams, go to college and the world will be yours !

Wishing you luck in everything you do :)

• 1 month later...
Awesome review and photos buddy. Really thorough and entertaining. I couldn't wait going from page to page to see what was next. I'm booked to go on the Epic Nov 19th and you've just made the wait soooooooooooo much worse! :-)

Once again thank you for all your effort on this one,

Andrew (Sydney, Australia)

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I am so sorry for replying so slowly. I have not been on CC in probably 2 months. School has been killer recently! I hope you enjoy your cruise

Hi Nathan,

wow, what a great review and fantastic picture. Thanks a lot! You are a brilliant writer ;)!

Thank you so much!!!! I wish my talent of travel writing would transfer well to my school writing.:rolleyes:;) Darn you history essays!!!!

I just finished reading your review and I really loved it! It’s nice to see the Epic from a different point of view. I was really tired of reading negative and nit picky reviews about the ship, your review was a breath of fresh air! My husband and I are sailing on the Epic in January and I cannot wait! Thanks for the tip on how to find the ice cream at the buffet, I will be writing that down!

Thank you so much! You have no idea how worried I was going into this cruise. We cruise once a year and cruising is not my parents first vacation choice ( I guess they humor me now because they know when I'm out of the house in 2 years they can do whatever they want), so I wanted everything to go PERFECT! I showed my parents pictures of the ship and they both said it looekd to modern and futuristic, so I was even more worried. Once they stepped on board they fell in love. A few days ago my mom remarked how much she loved the ship. I hope we can do a repeat on March 31,2012 for my spring break, but who knows. CCL and RCCL have some great itin's that I've been eyeing.

I'm glad you will be able to put my tips into action very soon. Enjoy your cruise!

WOW Nathan. Thanks for this review of the Epic and the gorgeous pictures. I am thinking of taking her to Europe but first want to see where the new ships are going in 2013. I sailed on the Oasis of the Seas last year and I'm telling you there is nothing like it. You should definitely experience it. It is a MONSTER!!

The Oasis and Allure are definitely on my cruise bucket list! IMO bigger is better. I cannot imagine going back to CCL and not having a rock wall,awesome water slide, awesome entertainment,etc. I want to try the Dream class though. Anyways, I digress. I graduate June 2013 so I am definitely keeping an eye out for where the new ships go. I wonder when their itin's will be released. However, I have read alot of good reviews from the Epic in the Med.

Nathan

I have just spent the best part of a couple of hours reading through your fantastic review - I go solo on the Epic in OCT 2012 and although I will not be going down the slides (would probably drown :eek:) or hanging out with teens (I will be 50!!) - your review has given me loads of pointers and information.

I only wish more of the youth in the UK had your outstanding attitude in life - bravo!! :)

I'm glad you enjoyed my review!!! I highly ecourage you to go down the slides! You only live once and they are the best slides at see! Try the Epic Plunge; you're in an intertube the whole time. I hope you will be able to put my tips into practice very soon. Almost to the 1 year point!

Your review is keeping me glued to this thread ! We've been on many Carnival cruises, but are now wanting to try something "new"......we are sailing on the EPIC 2/4/12 so I'm gleaning all the information I can get my hands on......actually, our 1st NCL cruise isnt on the EPIC, but she is such a big ship and there's so much to learn.

Le Bistro is definately on our list, my husband loves duck, so I'll have to show him your photo, and I love French food ! DId any of you ever try the onion soup ? I'm a picky eater as well, so glad your mom enjoyed the food there.

Did you make ressies for Le Bistro or just show up ?

Thank you those words! I have nothing against Carnival, but NCL just has so much to offer. However, I'm eyeing an itin. on the Valor for March 31,2012 for my spring break. You definitely need to do your research before attacking a behemouth like Epic.

Le Bistro was my 2nd favorite meal of the week,next to Cagneys. The duck was extremely tender and melt in your mouth. I think I did have the french onion soup in taste one night and I can't remember well, but I'm sure it was amazing! Only the bad meals stand out in my mind.

We made reservations, but if you look in the background of one of my photos you can see it was virtually empty at 6:30. We went on the first night so that might have had something to do with it. I noticed that on the 1st night most specialty restaurants were not crowded at all on the first night. One of my friend I met said it took forever in the MDR.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Ok, just finished your review - thanks soo much.

You remind me of my son who is now a grown man and has a very good job, 2 children . We took him and 3 of his friends on a cruise with NCL for a graduation present, (the friends paid their own way) it was on the Skyward. They were all responsible teens and we gave them the run of the ship in the daytime and at night after dinner. (they had to eat with us for dinner) They all had a great time and didnt have a bit of trouble with any of them. They were NOT allowed to roam around in the ports alone and that suited them fine. They had one room with 2 uppers and 2 lowers and I think they were on a differnt deck.....parents need to give teens a chance to explore, see and do things on their own, helps them to grow up.

He got a full scholarship to UF (go Gators) and got his Master's at American in DC 0 he is now traveling the world for his job and he loves it. He worked/lived in Capetown S.A. for 2 years. He is living his dream and he worked hard to get there.

So pursue your dreams, go to college and the world will be yours !

Wishing you luck in everything you do :)

I'm glad you share my parents philosphy on cruise ship parenting. If you trust your kids at home to walk around town with their friends then a cruise ship shouldn't be any different. A ship is probably saffer too depending on wher you're from. Hopefully for my next spring break I can convince them to bring a friend. I'm more of an explorer than my parents. I love just wandering around a ship and seeing where it will take me.

I was having such a nice time reading your kind words until I read the hated G-word. Georgia tech all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, what does your son do and where can I apply! haha:p:)

Hey Nathan - First let me say, your review and pics were absolutely amazing. Kudos to you for your writing.

I was on the Epic back in April and enjoyed it as much or even more than you. I will be sailing her again during Thanksgiving week with my two kids. I'm going to make my 16yo read your review. This is her first time on NCL and is nervous about meeting other kids.

One other question I can pretty much figure out how you got the studio room but did you have any issues staying in one since you're under 21?

Archived