Barbados for 2 for under $5

gtexan

My wife and I had a wonderful day in Barbados on our cruise, and I thought Id share the experience with you all.

We started out early off the boat walking right out of the port and along the boardwalk into Bridgetown. The walk is beautiful, and once you get to Bridgetown, there are some somewhat fun sites to see. We enjoyed the Episcopalian Church (they just ask for a donation if you go in), the Synagogue (we just looked from the outside), the Parlimentary buildings, and the central square area.

We then walked to the northbound bus terminal where we bought 4 bus tokens. Each token was $1 US

We caught the bus towards Connel Town which was headed out of the city. It is 1 token ($1 US) per rider each way. We rode it up along the coast until we hit Paynes Bay.

We got off the bus and walked up the beach. All beaches in Barbados are public, so we simply laid down beach mats under the shade of the gardens of one of the Villas (we were outside the gates). We avoided the mess that is Paynes Bay by a large margin, and this was free! The tress provide plenty of shade until about 2-3pm

We were able to relax here with minimal visits by local salesman and were not bothered by constant jet skis/etc. There was tons of beach glass and we could walk up and down in peace.

We stayed here for about 5-6 hours, where we then caught the bus across the street back to Bridgetown. A 10 minute walk and we were back on the boat.

$4 total :)

My wife and I had a wonderful day in Barbados on our cruise, and I thought Id share the experience with you all.

We started out early off the boat walking right out of the port and along the boardwalk into Bridgetown. The walk is beautiful, and once you get to Bridgetown, there are some somewhat fun sites to see. We enjoyed the Episcopalian Church (they just ask for a donation if you go in), the Synagogue (we just looked from the outside), the Parlimentary buildings, and the central square area.

We then walked to the northbound bus terminal where we bought 4 bus tokens. Each token was $1 US

We caught the bus towards Connel Town which was headed out of the city. It is 1 token ($1 US) per rider each way. We rode it up along the coast until we hit Paynes Bay.

We got off the bus and walked up the beach. All beaches in Barbados are public, so we simply laid down beach mats under the shade of the gardens of one of the Villas (we were outside the gates). We avoided the mess that is Paynes Bay by a large margin, and this was free! The tress provide plenty of shade until about 2-3pm

We were able to relax here with minimal visits by local salesman and were not bothered by constant jet skis/etc. There was tons of beach glass and we could walk up and down in peace.

We stayed here for about 5-6 hours, where we then caught the bus across the street back to Bridgetown. A 10 minute walk and we were back on the boat.

$4 total :)

What a great idea! Does the bus go both ways - Northbound and Southbound? Did you have a bus schedule to make sure that you got to the ship on time? Finally was there restroom facilities at the beach? Any feedback you can provide will be greatly appreciated. We should be arriving to Barbados April 26th and we have no plans yet. Thanks!

well thats good - was there anything to drink, were you hot? about how far and which way again from the cruise ship without the site seeing - how many minutes, I have knee issues, walking is a concern, but I can walk LD ok, but dont want to over do either..were there vendors for snacks and drinks?

thanks for your info!

Do hope you can provide a bit more info.

How long did it take you to walk to the northern bus terminal from the boat ? ( including your siteseeing along the way)

Is the bus we would be looking for called the Connell Town bus? any idea of how often the buses are?

How long was the bus ride to Paynes Bay?

How will we recognize where to get off?Is the bus stop marked somehow. ( I will probably as the driver to let us off but it is nice to have an idea - such as what is the stop just before or something like that)

How long a walk from the bus stop to the spot on the beach?

On your trip back to the boat did you catch the bus on the opposite side of the highway where you got off?

Thanks for all of your help! We did the same thing in Antigua and it is so much fun to take the buses! We boarded a bus that was full, so we started to get off and everyone shouted to us stay on as there were pull down seats in the aisles! Loved watching everyone get on and off for school or work!

Jackie

• 1 month later...

the bus terminal is less than 5 minutes from the ship, when you come out to the main street turn right and after you round the first cruve you will see the terminal several hundred yards up on your left the locals will tell you when to get off based on where you want to go, they were very friendly and glad to help. busses run often north and south, if you go to the green monkey preserve you'll have to change busses, no problems just ask....

• 4 weeks later...
the bus terminal is less than 5 minutes from the ship, when you come out to the main street turn right and after you round the first cruve you will see the terminal several hundred yards up on your left the locals will tell you when to get off based on where you want to go, they were very friendly and glad to help. busses run often north and south, if you go to the green monkey preserve you'll have to change busses, no problems just ask....

North Carolina Cruiser,

Were there any bus route maps / schedules available?

Archived