Just back from the Jewel ...Ask me questions! :)

how was the overall condition of the boat? and did the boat seem adequate size for 7 night sailing?

I took a cruise on the Jewel in December of 2007 and then this one and the boat was in excellent condition. The rugs need to be changed in some areas, but they were very clean and not like they had holes or frays or anything, just some fading. The halls were clean and the rugs were bright and looked almost new. We talked about how well kept the whole ship was. It's amazing how they are able to keep it so nice being in constant use like they are. We found it very adequate for our 7 night sailing. :) Hope you enjoy your cruise on the Jewel as much as we did! :)

Glad you had a good time - when are you going again?

I hear rumors that the Jewel is coming to Seattle next year to do the AK cruises, so I'm sure we'll be sailing on her one of these times.

Hikini

Thanks! Please- we are looking at Epic sailings as we speak! :) Can't wait to get back on a ship!

Jewel is a nice ship, if you get the chance, I'd take her! :) I would LOVE to do an Alaskan cruise. I hope you get on one soon!

Happy Cruising!

Yes we got some nice pictures, though my camera was giving me fits this trip for some reason. My DS has/had no interest in them. But my daughter got pictures and "signatures" with each and everyone. it was weird how they routed the characters through the area.

How great was the "Washy Washy" woman?

OMGosh! This is the exact Washy Washy woman from our cruise!! LOL

Hi was wondering if you can tell me about the night life is there a disco or does a louge chage it a night club. also can you tell me how the djs were. also can tell me if there are alot 25-32 age group people on board. im sailing june 4 2011.

thanks

mike

I love your review!!

We're sailing on the Jewel on July 30th. I keep reading great things about it.

We'll have our boys with us, ages 6 and 4. I'm sure they will love the Nickelodeon characters. Thanks for the tips about the character breakfast. I will keep that in mind...maybe we won't go to that after all, and we will save the money and just take the kids to a meet & greet instead. If the breakfast is that chaotic, then we may as well just go to the regular free events with the characters.

I also love the great things you said about the Mexican restaurant. We plan to go there one evening for dinner. Trouble is, we also love eating in the MDR on cruises, and I will have to see which night is best to skip it.

I also don't care for the chaos that usually exists at the buffets. I prefer the MDR for breakfast. And the Blue Lagoon sounds like a great place to have lunch!

Do you know if the MDR lunch menu was the same every day? Some people reported that it was the same throughout the whole cruise, a few months ago. Just wanted to see if it still is just one standard lunch menu.

Hi was wondering if you can tell me about the night life is there a disco or does a louge chage it a night club. also can you tell me how the djs were. also can tell me if there are alot 25-32 age group people on board. im sailing june 4 2011.

thanks

mike

Hi! The ship definitely has some good nightlife opportunities but I think that some nights people are just too tired from the day to be out! LOL Some nights were fun, but the bar/clubs were never full. But it is what you make it. The music was pretty good at times and it was one good song after the next and current music too. If you want to party, make sure to hit up the NCL White Hot Party. That was crowded and felt like you were "out" at a club. It'll be in the dailies as to when it is. The one in the Spinnaker is 21 or 18+ and then they have another one going on at the same time for families and yonger gusets in the Fyzz Lounge. That was a fun night. We were stuck in our room with the babies that night, as they were fussy but if not for that we would have drug them down to Fyzz. Make sure to hit up that night.

I am 30 but I have 2 kids with me so it was a different experience than if I was traveling without the kids. I will say that check if you are on a Nickelodeon cruise becuase that will make a HUGE difference. There were kids out and about literally ALL NIGHT LONG some nights and its hard to get your drink on when there are kids running around. lol.

Other adult activities include the bar crawls, martini and margarita tasting, and you should def check those out and do them. The more adult activities you participate in, the more fun you'll have. ;) HTH!

Happy Cruising!!

I love your review!!

We're sailing on the Jewel on July 30th. I keep reading great things about it.

We'll have our boys with us, ages 6 and 4. I'm sure they will love the Nickelodeon characters. Thanks for the tips about the character breakfast. I will keep that in mind...maybe we won't go to that after all, and we will save the money and just take the kids to a meet & greet instead. If the breakfast is that chaotic, then we may as well just go to the regular free events with the characters.

I also love the great things you said about the Mexican restaurant. We plan to go there one evening for dinner. Trouble is, we also love eating in the MDR on cruises, and I will have to see which night is best to skip it.

I also don't care for the chaos that usually exists at the buffets. I prefer the MDR for breakfast. And the Blue Lagoon sounds like a great place to have lunch!

Do you know if the MDR lunch menu was the same every day? Some people reported that it was the same throughout the whole cruise, a few months ago. Just wanted to see if it still is just one standard lunch menu.

Thanks so much! You are going to have a great time! :)

6 & 4 are good ages I think for this, they will really have fun. I would def skip the character breakfast and instead put that money towards one of the Nick nightime packs. You get a bag, a blanket and a bunch of other Spongebob goodies and everynight the Steward will set up the blanket and pillow and all. It was cute. The 7 year olds on our cruise got them and loved it every night. Mine were too young to care. lol. I think you can order them in advance and they will be in your room when you get there or they give them to you when you check in, I don't quite remember. Sorry! Go get a nice big breakfast the morning of the character breakfast and relax, you could probably do the buffet nicely because all of the crazies will be at the breakfast! :) I love the great outdoors part of the buffet so I loved eating up there all the way in the back, outside.

The Mexican is def worth the $10 upcharge. You get a margarita! :) And the food was really good. I suggest the ribs and lobster tacos, and Il Poppo, and the beef quesidilla, and ...well I could go on and on! LOL :) The menus are put up everyday and they are also on display in the main atrium at the reservation desk. Just check out the menu that day and decide. I never ate in Tsars, but we ate in Azure and they had some of the menu everyday and some of it that changed daily. I usually got the same thing anyway! LOL I got a steak with fries or mashed potatoes and some peppercorn sauce that was deeeelish. Blue Lagoon is a def lunch spot and its also open 24 hours too. I'm not sure what the MDR lunch menu was as we never did that for lunch. I was addicted to the bad room service/pool side burgers. Sad but true! :)

HTH! Have a great time on your cruise!!! CAn't wait to hear all about it!

thanks

mike

Might depend on the season. We did the same itinerary last July and December, and they were VASTLY different. July was a party cruise, December not as much. In July we did the pub crawl (twice!) and we had more than 100 people each time, and had a great time. The party seemed to go on until the wee hours, although we were generally in bed by 1 am or so, leaving the party behind. December was much quieter, many less people on the pub crawl (we only did one), and a generally older crowd. Would say that early June would lean more to the party side, maybe not as much as mid July.

Robin

Thanks so much! You are going to have a great time! :)

6 & 4 are good ages I think for this, they will really have fun. I would def skip the character breakfast and instead put that money towards one of the Nick nightime packs. You get a bag, a blanket and a bunch of other Spongebob goodies and everynight the Steward will set up the blanket and pillow and all. It was cute. The 7 year olds on our cruise got them and loved it every night. Mine were too young to care. lol. I think you can order them in advance and they will be in your room when you get there or they give them to you when you check in, I don't quite remember. Sorry! Go get a nice big breakfast the morning of the character breakfast and relax, you could probably do the buffet nicely because all of the crazies will be at the breakfast! :) I love the great outdoors part of the buffet so I loved eating up there all the way in the back, outside.

The Mexican is def worth the $10 upcharge. You get a margarita! :) And the food was really good. I suggest the ribs and lobster tacos, and Il Poppo, and the beef quesidilla, and ...well I could go on and on! LOL :) The menus are put up everyday and they are also on display in the main atrium at the reservation desk. Just check out the menu that day and decide. I never ate in Tsars, but we ate in Azure and they had some of the menu everyday and some of it that changed daily. I usually got the same thing anyway! LOL I got a steak with fries or mashed potatoes and some peppercorn sauce that was deeeelish. Blue Lagoon is a def lunch spot and its also open 24 hours too. I'm not sure what the MDR lunch menu was as we never did that for lunch. I was addicted to the bad room service/pool side burgers. Sad but true! :)

HTH! Have a great time on your cruise!!! CAn't wait to hear all about it!

Do you get a margarita on the rocks at the Mexican, or do they also make it frozen if you want?

Thanks for sharing your pics... Your kids are beautiful!

I will be on the Jewel May 1st. How far in advance do you have to make a reservation for the Mexican restaurant and how do you book it? I would like to get in there for Cinco De Mayo...

Thanks for sharing your pics... Your kids are beautiful!

I will be on the Jewel May 1st. How far in advance do you have to make a reservation for the Mexican restaurant and how do you book it? I would like to get in there for Cinco De Mayo...

Wow, that is so lucky! The Mexican for cinco de mayo!!! Enjoy! ;)

Archived