Double or two single strollers?

Momto3cuties

We are cruising for the first time with our 3 children ages 6, 4, and 2. I had originally planned to just bring a single lightweight stroller form my 2 year old. DH pointed out that our 4 year old (just turned 4) always rides on the back of our double joovy caboose and if I am realistic about it, he really will need a "ride" if we want to get anywhere without complaining. I didn't want to bring the joovy caboose, its HUGE! Wondering if two single strollers would be easier. Anyone with young ones...did you bring a double or two singles?

I know last year in Disney we ended up using our double and ALSO renting a single stroller as our 5 year old needed a ride after a few hours, too!

Are there any stroller rentals on the ship?

Can you bring a buggy board to attach to your single lightweight stroller? It allows another child to stand and ride, and, depending on the size of the child and the board, possibly also sit sideways on the board. Not a regular stroll-around option, but something for when an older child gets tired of walking. http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=536466

As far as stroller rentals, what ship will you be on? Carnival rents for $25/week, but for that you might as well get a very cheap, no-features umbrella for your older child/children.

I'd bring two strollers, not a double. The "rumble seat" doubles tend not to handle as well as the side-by-sides, but a side-by-side would be too wide for the ship.

ETA: If you go the buggy board route, I'd search ebay and craigslist for cheaper, just included a link to show what they are.

Thanks! I had looked into the buggy board, but it was $$$$. Even the ones on ebay were pricey. Would be a great fit for us though. Thinking since I have the two singles I may go with that or push my 4 year old to be a bit more independent. NOt planning on lots of walking around/shopping, but the airport can be a tough one if they have fallen asleep during flight and have to be woken up.

Thanks again, appreciate your ideas and advice.

OMG yes any stroller would be awesome we recently flew to florida just to visit family with my 1 and 2 yr old and it sucked. Carrying carseats, bags and the kids. I was so mad at my husband!! what a twit.. jk Just double check you pack the strollers my husband forgot and I should have double checked but I didnt. BIG mistake. Good news tho my arms were sore like I worked out from carrying baby and bag.

Just a warning my 1 yr old was a gem on the plane, my 2 yr old was a disaster she wouldnt sleep and screamed for like 1.5hrs on the plane it was a 2hr flight..She would not sit kept sliding out of the seat belt, wanting to open and shut the airplane window a million times, got mad because she could touch the buttons overhead... AHH it was brutal, but we survived.

But we use two single strollers when we go anywhere because its easier to get thru tight spaces which I imagine would work better on a cruise.

Have fun I can't wait till I can take my girls!!

We hemmed and hawed about this last year, when our kids were 11 months and 2. In the end we went with one single stroller-big mistake! Our 2 year old- normally very independent and insistent upon walking- wouldn't walk in the hot sun. And she was tired out from the day's activities, so we ended up hauling her around in the 90 degree weather. Never again! So, I would go with two singles- easier to store, easier to maneuver, and you're not stuck with a double at times that you don't need it. If you decide to walk the ship, you could just bring one. If you split up in port (often DD and I would stay behind to shop, but I had no stroller), you can split up the strollers, etc.

The entrance to your cabin will most likely be a tight squeeze and a double won't fit through. Our regular sized graco (the kind that the carseat attaches too) wouldn't fit through - back wheels too wide. So we had to leave it in the hall or fold it to fit through each time. This was a pain. I'm guessing that around the ship you will want your 2 year old in a stroller at times but you won't need it for the 4 year old around the ship. If you have 2 light weight strollers you will have the choice to take one on the occasions that you think you'll need it but not be committed to lugging a double.

For the flight you can check one stroller and use the other one right up to the gate. That would minimize the carrying of two strollers.

Just to add that we have twin girls & went with a double (back to back though) & found it was fine for manuevering around the ship & on & off the ship. I would not have gone with a side by side though, that would have been tricky.

The only thing to consider with 2 single strollers is what you will do if you split up at all and one of you has all of the kids. The Caboose isn't any wider than a single stroller, so I might be inclined to just stick with that.

Since we are spending a week at WDW before our cruise, we need our Phil and Ted's Sport, but it's too unwieldy for the ship. I may end up taking our Mac Volo as well and leave the P&T in the rental car parked at the port, despite much eye rolling from dh about hauling 2 strollers.

Archived