Review: Carnival Legend, March 27 - April 3

dvd77

There is a beautiful double stairway between the piano bar and Satchmo's (decks 2 & 3). We had as a goal to take some pictures, we finally got to it Saturday night. Unfortunately, we just couldn't light up the area or frame it correctly. These were our best attempts.

Cruise20111106.jpg

Cruise20111231.jpg

Sunday, April 3 – Disembarking

No sleeping in today! We had to be up early. Back to reality!

We had a few things to take care of. Besides getting dressed and throwing the last few items in our suitcases, we had to go down to deck 3 and pick up our photo purchases. We had also purchased some alcohol at Cozumel, which the ship then holds “for you.” We had to go pick it up also.

I’m trying to remember what we did for breakfast that morning. I assume we ate something from the Lido deck, but I simply don’t remember!

Before I tell you about the actual disembarkation process, let me share with you my previous experience on my last two cruises. My last cruise was December 1999, so I was hoping things had changed.

On those cruises, we put our luggage out in the corridor the night before. Then, the morning we were to leave, we were herded into a common area, where there was no seating—we either had to stand or sit on the floor. Here we were kept waiting for quite a while. The entire time, the magical, special, treatment was gone. Now I was made to feel like I was in the way. It was time to prepare the ship for the next guests—I was just extra debris to be removed.

Once we got off the ship (still 10 years ago) we were directed to a large warehouse-type building, where luggage sat on pallets. In each case, the luggage had been BEAT, with tears and broken pieces. A very disappointing way to end the cruise.

To put your mind at ease: This time it was different. For starters, we elected to use self-disembarkation, so we were responsible for our own luggage. Also, there was no herding of people, you could wait in your cabin until it was time to depart.

Carnival asked that people NOT wait on deck 2, where the gangway was. A reasonable request. We chose to wait in a lounge area on deck 3, outside the MDR. We sat there comfortably for about 10 minutes, and then it was time to go! The only problem with this area—it was very hard to hear the announcements, and we missed the first time our deck was eligible.

So we grabbed our bags, and pushed/pulled/carried them to deck 2, over the gangway—and we were back in Tampa. Customs was all of 15 seconds, and in no time at all, we were standing outside the port.

So, disembarkation was very, very easy, and nothing like what we experienced before. That was a positive development!

We chose to walk around the corner and down about 2 blocks to wait for our ride. There is a Hooters there, which is empty on a Sunday morning, and a bench on the sidewalk in front of it. So we sat there in the sun and 40 minutes later, our friend with the Suburban was back to pick us up. He took us home; officially, the cruise was now over.

Andy and Lisa were scheduled to fly out that afternoon. We didn’t want the vacation to end though! So we loaded their gear into our car and drove back into Tampa. We went to Flemings to enjoy some yummy appetizers and wine, then Ocean Prime for some dessert. Finally, it was time to take them to the airport and bid our sad goodbyes.

Here are a couple last miscellaneous notes:

* We never got on the water slide! We were looking forward to trying it, and yet one thing led to another and the trip ended without us ever trying it. So make sure you budget some time to do that!

* The Legend, while not tiny, is small in comparison to other cruise ships. Our last cruise was on the Carnival Triumph, which was MUCH larger. This had some advantages, in that you quickly learned the layout of the ship and never felt lost. But it has some disadvantages, too. Especially on the “at sea” days, it felt crowded. We frequently had to wait in what seemed like long lines, and had to compete for tables and other resources. Also, the pools are tiny. You couldn’t actually “swim” in them, the best you could do would be get in and get wet.

* The time differences between ship’s time and local time can cause some confusion. If you are booking your own excursions, be sure to take this into account when you have to meet your guides. All of them are cognizant of ship’s time, and know the schedule of every ship that stops at their location. But appointments are almost always given in local time, so you will have to make the conversion.

* After so many positive reviews, I was looking forward to getting some snacks from room service. It didn’t go so well. On Friday afternoon, I called room service. The phone was answered, and the conversation went like this:

RS: “Room service, what kind of sandwich would you like?”

Me: “Um, I don’t want a sandwich, I want #22 from the room service menu.”

RS: “What is #22?”

Me: “It’s cookies and brownies.”

RS: “We don’t have that.”

Me: “Oh. Never mind I guess.”

Maybe they run out of some items as the cruise goes on?

* It’s not listed on their menu, but the deli will make a grilled cheese sandwich for you.

* Passports: We read so much about whether to take them on excursions or to leave them on the ship. So much has been written for both. We ended up taking a copy with us, and leaving the originals in the safe. It worked for us, your mileage may vary.

* Whenever we saw the groups of Camp Carnival kids, they always looked like they were having a good time.

That’s it! If anything comes to mind later, or the others from the group think of things to add, I’ll post them. In the meantime, I hope this helps you to plan your cruise or get excited about it. Hope you have as much fun as we did!

thank you so much for letting us in on your vacation! What a fabulous review...i found myself hopping back onto the computer frequently, hoping to read more.

thanks again!

So glad you liked it! The positive feedback from so many was a motivating factor to keep going on it.

Thanks for the review - it was great! Do you remember what time you got out of customs? We are planning to do self-assist debarkation too and hoping to get off pretty early so we can start the long drive home. :p

I see in my cell phone bill I called our ride at 8:21 a.m. So it was probably right around 8:15.

We could have gotten off the ship a little earlier if we had our act together. :)

Were the ladies able to get their pandora charms at each port? Can you tell me what the selection was like and the cost?

thanks.

I asked Kellie your question, I am now typing her reply:

Here is what Kellie said in reply:

At Cayman we were short on time. I believe Lisa found a shop—we didn’t get to go downtown—but I thought she found a store with genuine Pandora beads. But I settled for Pandora-like beads. There were a few beads at the Eden Rock Dive Center, but I’m not even sure if they are silver.

Roatan: At Mahogany Bay they have a Pandora store. I bought a “happy fish;” Lisa bought a monkey. They represented our day well!

Belize: We didn’t really have time to shop. We only got to look in the Tanzanite store and the shops right at the pier, and so we didn’t really find any beads there.

Cozumel: There were a few shops that had beads. We couldn’t find any genuine Pandora beads. In the duty-free shop you first go through, they have another brand there. (Don’t remember the name, but it was European). They were beautiful. We picked some out in the morning. When we went back in the afternoon to actually purchase them, the manager was there and told us that they wouldn’t fit the Pandora bracelets. We were disappointed, but better to find out before buying them. We then went to every store there and asked. A few had beads, but not genuine Pandora beads. But we founds ones we liked.

I see in my cell phone bill I called our ride at 8:21 a.m. So it was probably right around 8:15.

We could have gotten off the ship a little earlier if we had our act together. :)

Wow! That is early... and will be perfect for us!

Thanks for being so responsive to so many questions ;)

Excellent review/pictures...I looked forward to reading it every day (and am sorry it's over). Our next cruise is on the Legend, but we have a year to wait. Your review had so many interesting tidbits about the ports (as did all of CC when I was picking a cabin). Do you and your wife have plans to go on another cruise in the near future? Definitely appreciated your candid, humorous writing style...Thank you!

Thanks for replying about the charms! I bet that monkey one is cute!

and thanks again for the great review. Looks like we'll be on the Legend in November if all goes well.

Trace

Lisa sent the link to the web site for the monkey:

http://www.pandora.net/en-us/jewellery/ranges/charms/790422

Also here are a couple cell phone pics of it.

Hope you enjoy the cruise!

1674081412_photo1.jpg.17da6f04e447a8acd77cc5a468874143.jpg

2025415178_photo2.jpg.09f260d70114872af01a6c7c03e7bc80.jpg

Excellent review/pictures...I looked forward to reading it every day (and am sorry it's over). Our next cruise is on the Legend, but we have a year to wait. Your review had so many interesting tidbits about the ports (as did all of CC when I was picking a cabin). Do you and your wife have plans to go on another cruise in the near future? Definitely appreciated your candid, humorous writing style...Thank you!

Many of our friends and family booked the Legend for this October as soon as we got back and they heard the stories and saw the pictures. :) We don't have immediate plans, but definitely want to do another cruise in the not too distant future.

So glad you enjoyed the review! Hope your year passes quickly.

Archived