Cayman Islands - Stingray vs Turtles

Cruisin' Larry

Haven't done the Turtle Farm, but did do Stingray City with Captain Marvin. It was the best experience we have had in 7 cruises. You are only in waist high water with the rays ,and it is not to be missed. Saw lots of kids in the water and it is safe. Granted the first few minutes you are a little put off by the number of them, but that quickly passes and you jump in and enjoy. They are extrememly gentle and choose to be around you for the chance of food. Captain Marvins is a first rate operation. We were lucky enough to actually have him as our Captain( he has more then 1 boat). He is a wealth of information. All the equipment is cleaned and bagged by size. Fruit punch was supplied. If your son decided not to get off the boat, he could stilll easily see the rays, and the trip out to the sandbar is very enjoyable.Go for it

I took my children to the Turtle Farm in Grand Caymen.

We did this excursion all on our own. Simply got a cab and asked them to take us to the turtle farm. Then paid the admission price ourselves. Afterwards we walked next door to a resteraunt called the Conch House which was nice salads/sandwiches right on the water.

I chose the Turtles over the Stingrays because I felt my daughters would be too afraid to get in the water and touch the stingrays. We have been to a couple of zoos in the U.S. that had stingrays and my girls wouldn't go near them. I was afraid to spend a lot of money to have crying/scared children.

My children liked the turtle farm. None of us really LOVED it though. Basically it is several shallow swimming pools filled with various sized turtles. Some of the pools had small turtles that you could pick up and take pictures with. Other pools had the giant turtles. We enjoyed the entire turtle farm in about 45 minutes. I was expecting more - I don't know what but it was short and done and then it was like 10:30 am and not much else to do right there. We walked over to the resteraunt and relaxed on their thatch roof covered area and sat by the water until the resteraunt opened for lunch. After lunch we asked the hostess to call us a cab and we were then returned to the port a few minutes later.

The Turtle farm is out a ways from the port maybe a 15 minute drive right along the ocean. The turtle farm is a bit remote with not much else around (besides the resteraunt next door).

I would probably do the same thing again with my girls but I would probably wonder around the shops in the port area for an hour or so first. I would catch a taxi sometime around 10:30-11 am and then go to the turtle farm and then lunch. I wouldn't pay any extra to do this with an organized excursion because it really is so easy. Every cab driver knows right where the turtle farm is and then once you get to the turtle farm it is just a self guided walk thru the pools.

Have a great time whatever you choose! If you have any other questions, you can e mail me at phil_steph@hotmail.com

One factor that would sway me toward the sting rays is the fact that most of the turtles raised at the turtle farm are raised for meat. That takes the fun out of it for me and I don't think I would want to have that discussion with my kids on vacation. I would go for the sting rays.

I was wondering about the turtle farm since the hurricanes, someone said that they were effected greatly from the hurricanes. I guess it's ok still? I understand Capt. Marvin has an excursion that incorporates both the turtle farm with the stingray city. Wondering if you can do both in the same day?

Thanks!!

One factor that would sway me toward the sting rays is the fact that most of the turtles raised at the turtle farm are raised for meat. That takes the fun out of it for me and I don't think I would want to have that discussion with my kids on vacation. I would go for the sting rays.
I agree, it is a turtle FARM , not a zoo. They are raised there for meat. They also release turtles into the wild, but that part doesn't pay the bills.

Archived