spirit docked facing downriver

cajuncruisegirl

The Mississippi comes under the Greater New Orleans Connector Bridges, flows past the foot of Canal Street and the Quarter. Then the river makes a greater than 90 degree turn at Algiers Point. At higher river stages all of that water can't make it around the point and flows back against itself along the wharves of New Orleans. The eddy flows up to above Canal Street. When the eddy is present ship's captains will tie up their ship facing into the eddy.

The NATCHEZ today always ties up facing downriver at her landing near Jackson Square. When the PRESIDENT, and the other Streckfus steamboats used the Canal Street Landing years ago, they would always tie up facing downriver towards the Gulf. This year with all of the high water in New Orleans the eddy has been running strong, and the passenger ships using the Erato Street and Julia Street Passenger Terminals tie up facing downriver.

• 2 weeks later...
The Mississippi comes under the Greater New Orleans Connector Bridges, flows past the foot of Canal Street and the Quarter. Then the river makes a greater than 90 degree turn at Algiers Point. At higher river stages all of that water can't make it around the point and flows back against itself along the wharves of New Orleans. The eddy flows up to above Canal Street. When the eddy is present ship's captains will tie up their ship facing into the eddy.

The NATCHEZ today always ties up facing downriver at her landing near Jackson Square. When the PRESIDENT, and the other Streckfus steamboats used the Canal Street Landing years ago, they would always tie up facing downriver towards the Gulf. This year with all of the high water in New Orleans the eddy has been running strong, and the passenger ships using the Erato Street and Julia Street Passenger Terminals tie up facing downriver.

The eddy at Canal Street doesn't really make it all the way up to Julia and Erato. The cruise ships docking port side along side are doing this for maintenance reasons and not because of the eddy. I have first hand knowledge of this. The cruise vessels take up much of the river when they are sideways in the river and are really close to the bridge. Not an easy feat in backing the ship up to the bridge in high water. Much easier going head up into the current at those docks.

Granted I was only a "Watchman," an unlicensed deck officer on the DELTA QUEEN, I too have first hand experience about landing in New Orleans. I also have recently been in touch with NOBRA Pilot 70 About landing a ship in New Orleans. He said that the Canal Street eddy is indeed the reason why the cruise ships tie up facing downriver. Infact he said, "the up stream eddy at Canal Street is quite a challenge at times and can make a Christian out of any self respecting pilot."

For the uninformed a NOBRA Pilot is first of all a U.S. Merchant Mariner with a U.S. Coast Guard issued First Class Pilots License to take ships of unlimited gross tons from New Orleans to Baton Rouge. They are Louisiana State chartered pilots to serve as the pilot on ocean vessels between New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

NOBRA 70 started his shipping career on the DELTA QUEEN and is licensed as a First Class Pilot and ship's Master of unlimited gross tons. He also served as a pilot and captain of the DELTA QUEEN. Beyond that he was the harbor pilot on the Chinese registered BRIGHTFIELD that because of mechanical malfunction careened into the New Orleans Hilton. Thanks to his quick thinking, many a casualty was adverted due to the orders he gave that limited damages and saved lives.

Granted I was only a "Watchman," an unlicensed deck officer on the DELTA QUEEN, I too have first hand experience about landing in New Orleans. I also have recently been in touch with NOBRA Pilot 70 About landing a ship in New Orleans. He said that the Canal Street eddy is indeed the reason why the cruise ships tie up facing downriver. Infact he said, "the up stream eddy at Canal Street is quite a challenge at times and can make a Christian out of any self respecting pilot."

For the uninformed a NOBRA Pilot is first of all a U.S. Merchant Mariner with a U.S. Coast Guard issued First Class Pilots License to take ships of unlimited gross tons from New Orleans to Baton Rouge. They are Louisiana State chartered pilots to serve as the pilot on ocean vessels between New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

NOBRA 70 started his shipping career on the DELTA QUEEN and is licensed as a First Class Pilot and ship's Master of unlimited gross tons. He also served as a pilot and captain of the DELTA QUEEN. Beyond that he was the harbor pilot on the Chinese registered BRIGHTFIELD that because of mechanical malfunction careened into the New Orleans Hilton. Thanks to his quick thinking, many a casualty was adverted due to the orders he gave that limited damages and saved lives.

I am quite familiar with Ted and what he does. I am a CRESCENT pilot and actually handle the Norwegian Spirit up and down the river. I am a state pilot for the route from Pilottown to New Orleans. The captains of the cruise vessels prefer to do their own dockings but I have been on the bridge of these vessels during several dockings and sailings. The ships only go head down when there is maintenance to be done and this isn't done during high water. It is true that there is an eddy at Woldenburg Park and Canal Street it does not affect the docking of the cruise vessels at Erato and Julia street wharves.

Anyway, I didn't come to CC to discuss work LOL. I have been on cruise ships plenty of times, just never as a passenger. My family and I will be cruising for the first time on the Spirit in July and are looking forward to it.

I am quite familiar with Ted and what he does. I am a CRESCENT pilot and actually handle the Norwegian Spirit up and down the river. I am a state pilot for the route from Pilottown to New Orleans. The captains of the cruise vessels prefer to do their own dockings but I have been on the bridge of these vessels during several dockings and sailings. The ships only go head down when there is maintenance to be done and this isn't done during high water. It is true that there is an eddy at Woldenburg Park and Canal Street it does not affect the docking of the cruise vessels at Erato and Julia street wharves.

You got me, Cap! I'll take a Crescent Pilot's opinion over a NOBRA Pilot's any day about landing at Erato Street or Julia Street in New Orleans. I'm sure glad that I didn't get Captain "Doc" involved in this. I would have if he answered his phone! I don't know any Crescent Pilots, but I've met a few NOBRA Pilots over the years. My first exprience in the New Orleans Harbor was sitting up in the pilothouse of the PRESIDENT with Captains Verne Streckfus, Master and Joseph "T.Joe" Decareaux, Pilot

Go over to http://www.Steamboats.org to see what's being said over there about the infamous eddy and add your two cents.

Thanks,

Frank

Ted is a true hero. Without power or steering, he managed to avoid two cruise ships and a gambling boat docked along the riverfront, all loaded with people. His actions saved the lives of hundreds or possible thousands of lives.

Ted is a true hero. Without power or steering, he managed to avoid two cruise ships and a gambling boat docked along the riverfront, all loaded with people. His actions saved the lives of hundreds or possible thousands of lives.

You sure got that right! People don't call that stretch of river "The War Zone" for nothing.

You got me, Cap! I'll take a Crescent Pilot's opinion over a NOBRA Pilot's any day about landing at Erato Street or Julia Street in New Orleans. I'm sure glad that I didn't get Captain "Doc" involved in this. I would have if he answered his phone! I don't know any Crescent Pilots, but I've met a few NOBRA Pilots over the years. My first exprience in the New Orleans Harbor was sitting up in the pilothouse of the PRESIDENT with Captains Verne Streckfus, Master and Joseph "T.Joe" Decareaux, Pilot

Go over to http://www.Steamboats.org to see what's being said over there about the infamous eddy and add your two cents.

Thanks,

Frank

I have been a pilot many years less than N70 and have great respect for anyone who has been at the job that long. He has more years of experience under his belt and this is probably one of the very few things I know a little more about LOL. The cruise ships have SO many thrusters that they are so very different than just about every other ship. With that being said, everyone is on their toes down here with the river rising so fast. I hope we have a safe and uneventful high river season.

I have been a pilot many years less than N70 and have great respect for anyone who has been at the job that long. He has more years of experience under his belt and this is probably one of the very few things I know a little more about LOL. The cruise ships have SO many thrusters that they are so very different than just about every other ship. With that being said, everyone is on their toes down here with the river rising so fast. I hope we have a safe and uneventful high river season.

This is getting to be a right decent thread! I usually avoid confrontation like the plague, but I've listened to enough captains and pilots to know just a little bit about what's going on. Most of the old pilots that I met only had a "brushpile" on their boat's tailend to do what, "SO many thrusters," can do now. The DELTA QUEEN didn't get a bowthruster until 1974, the Str. PRESIDENT never had one, and the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE, built in 1914, (http://WWW.BELLEOFLOUISVILLE.ORG) still doesn't have one or monkey rudders either. The NATCHEZ (http://WWW.STEAMBOATNATCHEZ.COM) does have a bowthruster but no monkey rudders.

I went over to steamboats.org to respectfully disagree with Capt. Ted and am waiting on an admin to approve my account.;)

Thank you, sir! Hopefully, that will take place real soon. I've been pretty busy posting over there too.

I like this thread too. My wife and I often sit by the river and watch the ships pass. This, of course, is in daylight when the weather is nice. Those folks really earn their pay when they run into fog, thunderstorms, etc.

I was just curious, but have learned so much about the river that I live just a few miles from! I hope the high river levels don't mess up our cruise in May! Looking forward to watching the spillway open Monday, what a sight to see.

Achenator,

How long have you handled the Spirit? We were directly above where the pilot disembarks (jumps) from the Spirit to the pilot boat at the mouth of the Mississippi on our January cruise. AMAZING!!! We have always admired the work of pilots on every one of our cruises. Would love to hear about what its like to guide one of these giants through the bends, turns, traffic, etc. of the Mississippi.

Hope you absolutely enjoy your upcoming pleasure cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

The river is at 17' (flood stage) and this pic was taken Saturday morning. Carnival Triumph docked head up.

be2ec9f4.jpg

Approaching the berth this morning (May 22) on the bridge of the Spirit. I had just turned the con over to the Captain for docking.

b3db29bb.jpg

A question: as the ship is travelling up or down river, who is actually steering? You or a member of the crew?

There is a quartermaster (member of the crew), that actually turns the wheel. I give him direct rudder commands (port 10 degrees, starboard 20 degrees, etc.), depending on which way I want the ship to swing. I can also give him courses to steer to. Holding a course and steering the ship requires full concentration and the quartermasters are changed out on the cruise ships at least every hour. It would be impossible for me to keep the ship on a certain course and make passing and overtaking arrangements with other vessels, give eta's , line up tugs etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like you're north-bound runnin' Algiers Point to me. And the photo is fairly recent. The water is up over the old levee right on the point.

This photo was taken a couple years back. I was southbound at Bolivar point (mile 22). If this was taken at Algiers, the other vessel you see would be southbound. If he were, he would be in trouble being that deep going into the bend.

Archived