spirit docked facing downriver

cajuncruisegirl

While we have you here:

We watched the Triumph leave a couple of weeks ago and it was really hauling a** down the river because of all the flood waters headed to the Gulf.

In normal times, how fast does the Triumph go on the river? How fast now? Does that extra speed make your job more difficult?

While we have you here:

We watched the Triumph leave a couple of weeks ago and it was really hauling a** down the river because of all the flood waters headed to the Gulf.

In normal times, how fast does the Triumph go on the river? How fast now? Does that extra speed make your job more difficult?

Normally I like to go around 16knts in the straighter areas and slow down to 12knts in the turns to minimize the leaning. You try to make the same speed as normal through the water but it happens to be a little faster over ground because of the following current. The cruise ships generally throw a pretty nasty swell and we have to be real careful not to swamp smaller tows, barges etc. Everything happens a little faster in high river, I just have to be thinking a few steps ahead. The cruise ships handle pretty well but are pretty fast and much overtaking happens. Leaning in the turns is a little exaggerated with more current. Also the amount of human lives on board is constantly in the back of my mind.

This photo was taken a couple years back. I was southbound at Bolivar point (mile 22). If this was taken at Algiers, the other vessel you see would be southbound. If he were, he would be in trouble being that deep going into the bend.

Thanks, Captain, for setting me straight, and now I know. I should have taken Mark Twain's advice (although some people attribute it to President Lincoln) to have kept my mouth shut and let people think I'm stupid than to have opened it and remove all doubt! LOL

Thanks, Captain, for setting me straight, and now I know. I should have taken Mark Twain's advice (although some people attribute it to President Lincoln) to have kept my mouth shut and let people think I'm stupid than to have opened it and remove all doubt! LOL

No, sorry if I may have seemed "short" with you, I was on my way out the door when I typed that. It was a very good observation. The points are very similar, just reversed of each other.

Really, I'm glad to learn something new, but I do appreciate your recent post.

Pity the people whom think they know it all. My father was a licensed chief engineer for steam vessels, and he oft times told this story. Another aspiring engineer was just handed his new license, the ink on his finger for a fingerprint still hadn't dried yet. The newly minted engineer looked at the Inspector and said, "I guess that I know it all now!" The Inspector failed to see any humor in that statement, and he demanded the license back. Then he told the hapless petitioner to come back in three month and stand for examination again.

Really, I'm glad to learn something new, but I do appreciate your recent post.

Pity the people whom think they know it all. My father was a licensed chief engineer for steam vessels, and he oft times told this story. Another aspiring engineer was just handed his new license, the ink on his finger for a fingerprint still hadn't dried yet. The newly minted engineer looked at the Inspector and said, "I guess that I know it all now!" The Inspector failed to see any humor in that statement, and he demanded the license back. Then he told the hapless petitioner to come back in three month and stand for examination again.

A couple months ago, I passed a pilot of about 30 years on the river. He said "I was just looking in my book and this is my 9000th ship." My reply was "Well,you ought to have this thing down pretty good now." About 2 seconds of silence and then, "you would think." LOL

• 2 weeks later...
This photo was taken a couple years back. I was southbound at Bolivar point (mile 22). If this was taken at Algiers, the other vessel you see would be southbound. If he were, he would be in trouble being that deep going into the bend.

Would mile 22 would be around Fort Jackson in Triumph?

Very interesting job, grew up fishing, hunting, and playing around in the bayous and the river for the southern part of Plaquemines. Originally from Empire, now in Belle Chasse. Nothing left down the road, as we call it. Damn Katrina:mad:

• 3 weeks later...

My husband would love to see you guys at work! We are sailing out of NOLA on the NCL Spirit on October 23rd. Can you amazing men tell me the best place for us to be when we embark, so we can see the pilot boats and what they do? We have sailed out of Galveston twice, and found the pilot boats fascinating!

Archived