rome

adammovies

Are you docking and going through customs or is it a port of call?

It takes about 1 1/2 to 1 hr to go yo Rome by train depending on the type of train you take. Some are express that take as little as 45 min due to not stopping at every train stop.

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

I will be docking at 7am.if i take the train,can i been in the town by 930am for a tour.

:cool:If you dock at 7:00, you won't be off before 8:00 if I had to guess. If it is a day stop, I'd take a ships tour. Hour and change bus ride each way. We taook tour that had Imperial City, Vatican, and time for lunch. If not ships tour, try double decker bus. We took it from train station. Gives a nice overview of Rome. You actually need three days there. One Imperial City, one Vatican, and one for rest of city. Been there three times now. If this is your first, and maybe last, just go for highlights. Don't spend too much time at one spot. Enjoy.:cool:

If you dock at 7:00, you won't be off before 8:00 if I had to guess.

When I went on my Med cruise, we docked well before 7AM. However, they won't allow people to enter port until everything is cleared with the port authority. If the OP is up and ready at 7AM, there is a very good chance they could be off the ship by 7:05AM. A short taxi ride to the train station, and then about an hour and a half train ride into Rome proper. Making a 9:30AM tour is very likely. However, the OP did not say where they were meeting this tour? Is it near a train station in Rome? What is the train schedule that day? There are a lot of factors that could affect whether or not they make the 9:30AM tour time. If there is a general strike that day, good luck with any plans you have made :)

the strikes can be a major problem. sometimes they just happen and then you are stuck.

Inflammatory and alarmist, with little basis in fact.

Strikes in Italy are unlike those in the US - they are almost always (especially in the case of public transit) announced in advance and posted on a government web site. Often those listed on the web site are resolved or postponed, and therefore don't happen anyway.

Now, tourists may not be aware of this and perceive a strike as random. Also, many people think if it happened to them once (or to someone they know or someone they read about on a web site, etc.), it must happen all the time (also known as a logical fallacy).

There are three weekday trains that the OP could use that would get them into Rome before 9:30 but, as a previous posted pointed out, you also need to consider how to get from the train station to the starting point for the tour.

More details from the OP would enable us to give him/her better information.

Archived