stupid question on seasickness meds

tjevans

Not being prone to seasickness myself (When I was in the Navy, I slept through a hurricane), I'm not worried about seasickness, but my fiance is. Are seasickness meds over-the-counter or prescription only?

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=4>

<param name="day" value=18>

<param name="hour" value=18>

</applet>

Carnival Conquest 4/18/04

There are different types. Some do require an prescription. The OTC one's would be like Bonine and Dramamine. I believe both have a non-drowsy formula. As for prescriptions, the med's that come to mind are Scopolomine (the patch) and Antivert (pill). There are also alternatives like the accupressure bands that go on your wrist or ginger capsules.

sunset_gd_e0.gif

Hi, TJ -

Luvronijean is correct, there are several OTC seasick meds. They all have side effects, and whether they're bearable is a matter of individual judgment. If your fiance is concerned about getting ill, she/he may want to take one of the pills in advance to get used to how it makes her/him feel.

There are never enough days at sea!

HELP....I'm leaving on my first cruise this Sunday 4/18 and have this delimma. Bonine or the patch. Help... I do get motion sickness but don't want to feel out of it during the cruise. Also I would like to be able to have a drink or two. Can anyone give me any advise.

Thanks,

Renee

4/18/04 Mariner of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;04;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

11/20/04 Thanksgiving on Jewel of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The patch was not an option for me as I am allergic to adhesive. I took a low drowsy oral medication before bed every night. I didn't feel out of it the next day and I slept great. I also had ginger capsules with me and took them when I felt the least bit queasy. You can buy these in some grocery stores and almost all natural foods stores.

On my first cruise we had some very rough seas for one night. I put the wrist bands on for that night and slept like a baby while many others I spoke with were up most of the night sick.

Have a great cruise.

Sandy

Grand, 2/8/04

Star, 8/30/03

Hi, Cruise Dreamer -

Bonine. It's effective and non-drowsy. The same chemical is also sold as Dramamine II, and is available in a generic. Just check the ingredients to make sure it's the same thing.

I don't think I'm really prone to sea sickness, but I always bring some with me on a cruise and have occasionally used them. When I do, it works in 15 - 20 minutes for me. They recommend that someone who tends to motion sickness take them in advance, and regularly as you sail. Of course, that way you'd never know if you really need them, but, better safe than sorry.

There are never enough days at sea!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CruiseDreamer28:

Which of these (if any) would you guys recommend for first time cruisers who don't generally have motion sickness or sea sickness?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't want the side-effect of medication, use the SeaBand suggested by Solo Cruiser (sold at any drug store). It works within minutes and will not interfere with your alcohol intake.

Happy sailing.

March 28, 2004 - Mariner of the Seas

Treating sea sickness is a very individual thing. My number one reccomendation is meclizine 25mg (sold OTC as dramamine 2 or Bonine... by rx it is antivert) 1 tablet every 24 hours will prevent most people from getting sea sick. If you have other conditions please consult you doc.

Once seasickness has hit switch over to ginger tablets or get an rx for phenergan.

I always travel with meclizine and phenergan in my travel case..

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

You can drink ---but the combo might knock you on your butt. Meglazine 25mg 2-3 times a day will stop ANY seasickness in its tracks. I take it for bouts of vertigo and took a stock bottle I bought from the pharmacist (its non-presciption) for the cruise. No worries, but what little I did drink I sure did feel it faster.---you know thats not a bad thing.

Have a good cruise--and a smooth one too!!

Gee, that might keep my bar bill low since I'm usually a cheap drunk, anyway! I normally can only handle about three drinks so if I take seasick meds I'll probably have to stop after one so I won't embarrass my faily!LOL

Hi everyone,

please look at some of the advertisements on the upper right side of this page and take your pick. Of course these are advertisements and they will recommend their products as the best.

The ReliefBand (an electronic devise that sends some small electrical signals to the brain)is even recommended for those who are pregnant (or the morning sickness)but does not work for everybody the same way. Some claim it works great and others (like wife and myself)will say it did not do anything.

Be carful with the scopolamine patch.

Wes

As a former "Seasicky," Bonine has been a miracle drug for me. I take it two days ahead and one a day throughout the cruise whether I feel anything or not (which I haven't since I started using it). We also really enjoy our rum & cokes and have not felt any adverse effects with Bonine.

NCL Norway: 10/89,10/93, 4/00, 4/01-- RCI Viking Serenade: 1/97 -- RCI Majesty O' Seas: 10/97 -- NCL Wind: 10/98, 10/99 -- NCL Sea:11/00 -- Celeb Summit: 11/01 -- Celeb Millennium: 3/02 -- NCL Sun: 11/02 -- Carnival Pride: 5/03 -- RCI Radiance O' Seas: 11/03 -- NCL Sky: 01/04

All aboard the NCL Sun, 11/06/04!!

Bonine. It's effective and non-drowsy. I have used Bonine on several cruises and it worked well.

EMPRESS OF THE SEAS 2/14/2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;2;14;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS 2/6/04

EXPLORER OF THE SEAS 2/12/03

OCEAN PRINCESS 2/10/02

CARNIVAL FASCINATION

CARNIVAL PARADISE

CARNIVAL ECSTASY

CARNIVAL IMAGINATION

CARNIVAL FANTASY

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Be careful of the scopolamine patch <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wes,

Why is this? Do you know something that I need to know. My doc has called in a script for me of this and I would like to know what I should be careful of. Thanks

Nancy

sailing Conquest 6/27/04

Hi Nancy,

My statement to be careful with or of the scopolamine patch is based on few things:

first, both wife and used it few years back and had some unpleasant side effects ( blurred vision, very dry mouth, dissorientation and difficulty with keeping balance, especially for wife but it did work for preventing sea sickness)

next, after our 'experience' with the patch I make an effort to ask any medical personnel on any cruise that we are on, if they recommend the 'patch'....and so far I did not find any that do....and I am sure that they do see a lot more sea sickness than doctors on land.

I have read many comments of other 'cruisers', and even that many have very good results some had some big problems.

I also read this article that I am attaching the link below, that shows how powerful drug the scopolamine is.

So if You want to use it be aware of the side effects (maybe You won't have any) and be carful. Do not touch your eyes when handling this medicine and do not be tempted to cut it (to reduce the dose ... it is design to release the dose over 72 hour period.....same dose if you are big or small).

I did see many people on the ships wearing the patch, so it must be working for many and it is a puzzle for me why the ship's medical personnel do not recommend them..... must be because of the few bad cases that they see.

Nancy enjoy your cruise, wishing you a smooth sailing.

Wes.

Please click and read this link below and let me know what you think.

http://www.rense.com/general38/frug.htm

Wes, thank you for for all the info in the post. I put alot of thought into the patch and what I have decided to do is take the Bonine and see how it works but have the patch with me just in case. I am sensitive to lots of medications so I am a bit nervous about the patch. The dry mouth I could deal with but I don't want to have a soso time on the cruise I want to have fun and be able to do whatever I want to do without meds slowing me down.

I will update everyone when I return and let you know if I used the patch or not. I am hoping to report back that the Bonine is all I needed.

Nancy

sailing Conquest 6/27/04

Does anyone know the medicine the ships doctor gives as an injection for seasickness?

I am hoping to get one before I leave.

I love to cruise but sometimes even bonnie 3x a day isn't enough.

This may sound alarmist, but I plan on taking everything with me! I can get seasick when others are fine--I get seasick using microfilm readers, I was the *only* one seasick on a submarine trip out of Bermuda. (My fellow pax generously shared their barf bags with me ... I needed several!)

I used the patch on the Scotia Prince (ferry between Portland, ME, and Nova Scotia). We had the farthest-most forward cabin and I was fine. If it works for me, it'll work for everyone! I did, however, have a single drink and got real close to being plastered.

My idea of a good vacation is not spending all my time with my head in the john (I had enough of that through 27 mos. of pregnancy :-) )so I'm going prepared.

M/R

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have decided to do is take the Bonine and see how it works but have the patch with me just in case. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did just the opposite on our first cruise, May 9th, on the Explorer. I wore the patch and took Bonine just in case. I have extreme motion sickness so I got the patch from my doctor and put it on the day before we left. At first I thought the patch was great because normally I would be sick as soon as we left port. Our cabin was towards the front of the ship and I could definately feel more movement in the front, but I wasn't sick until 25 hrs. after leaving port. I didn't know if the patch was beginning to wear off or if it alone wasn't enough for me, so I changed the patch and took the Bonine too and laid down. I awoke the next morning and was fine! The other 5 days, I took one Bonine a day and changed the patch again after 3 days. Didn't get sick anymore. Since, I've heard from other poster that were on the cruise that we did have rough waters that day. I thought it was just me! Next cruise, I will make sure our cabin is in the middle or the back of the ship too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Originally posted by darnapar:

"Does anyone know the medicine the ships doctor gives as an injection for seasickness?

I am hoping to get one before I leave.

I love to cruise but sometimes even bonnie 3x a day isn't enough."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not sure if getting the injection before your cruise will do you any good.

The time frame for the medicine that was active in the system is only few hours, so by the time you start cruising, you will need another injection.

As far as I know the reason my wife was given the injection for her 'sea sicknes in progress', it was that she could not keep any medication in her system long enough to start working. In case if you are not sick 'yet' why would you need an injection ? why not to take some 'pills'?

Wes

I am the QUEEN of motion sickness and have tried every drug, seaband and home remedy known to man.

Finally, I found my salvation at www.motionmagique.com and haven't looked back since. My hubby is so thrilled that we can travel without my head stuck in a barf bag. Now my kids aren't embarrassed to bring their friends along either.

After years of being homebound, I want to scream to all fellow sufferers that positive relief is available, deceptively simple and totally safe. Happy travelling! Aline

Archived