Science Experiment At Sea

Sunkissed Mommy

Hi All, this was the only forum I could remotely connect this to.

I am a teacher of 5th grade students. We are entering Science Fair Season at my school and I am scheduled to be on the Navigator of the Seas next weekend. I have to miss a day of work for the cruise.

I thought of connecting the cruise and science together. When I return I want to present something to my students, preferably an experiment, that I completed on my trip.

Does anyone have any ideas for science experiments I could perform that 10 and 11 year olds would love to hear/learn about?!?!

Not a teacher here, but our elementary school does "Science Fun Day" where parents come in and do experiments with the children. Don't remember exactly, but it had to do with floating and surface area. We used modeling clay and water and pennies. Each group had to make a "boat" or floating object from the clay, and then add pennies to it. The ones with more clay on the surface would float more pennies. (did this in third grade) Helps explain some of the science of how the ship stays afloat

You could also try something with boyancy comparing fresh water to salt water. It would take more weight to sink in salt water than in fresh.

Archived