questions about HAL cruisetour - especially Land part

potterymaker

Hello Helpful Travelers,

We are about to book for Aug 17, 2011, HAL CruiseTour SOUTHBOUND GREAT LAND WILDERNESS CRUISETOUR #8 with the Zuiderdam as the 4 night cruise ship.

We were wondering what you might know about this type of Tour? We wanted to do a good amount of the incredible Alaska Land and this seems to have that. Have travelers been happy with this Land tour? I'm sure the Cruise will be great........

On the land part, how much wilderness do you see? where you stay, how is the bus ride? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Do think the food package is needed? Is the food package for just the hotel we stay in or do you have choices?

Any info you can give us or point us in the right direction would be helpful. We have until tomorrow Monday, 4/25 to decide, as least that is what TA said.

Thanks so much, Potterymaker

quote.gif

Welcome to CC. This is a great resource for planning a cruise.

I am having a hard time finding this tour. Could you either post the link to the tour, or list the itinerary. That would be helpful for anyone who wants to try and help you out.

I have not done a cruisetour but have been reading this board for 5 years now. As far as purchasing the food plan I have read mixed points of view. Some think it is a good value, others do not.

Why did your TA say you must book by tomorrow? Is it the last day of a sale? If not, I am not so sure why you are being pressured. Cruises, especially to Alaska are very costly. Before you put down any money make sure you fully understand what you are buying.

Hi, thanks for the response.

Here is the itinerary: I hope this can be read.

Destination Arrival Departure Land Tour: Anchorage Destination Guide

08/17/11 --- 08/17/11 --- Land Tour: Denali 08/18/11 --- 08/18/11 --- Land Tour: Denali 08/19/11 --- 08/19/11 --- Land Tour: Fairbanks 08/19/11 --- 08/19/11 --- Land Tour: Fairbanks 08/20/11 --- 08/20/11 --- Land Tour: Beaver Creek 08/21/11 --- 08/21/11 --- Land Tour: Whitehorse 08/22/11 --- 08/22/11 --- Land Tour: Transfer to Ship 08/23/11 --- 08/23/11 --- Skagway 08/23/11 --- 08/23/11 9:00 PM Glacier Bay 08/24/11 --- 08/24/11 --- Ketchikan 08/25/11 10:00 AM 08/25/11 6:00 PM Inside Passage 08/26/11 --- 08/26/11 --- Vancouver, B.C. Destination Guide

08/27/11 7:00 AM 08/27/11 ---I think the TA has this on hold until tomorrow. I guess I thought we need to give a deposit by then. I will ask. Thanks......

Glacier Bay is a BIG PLUS with this itinerary. However, a BIG NEGATIVE on this tour is Denali. It only includes the Natural History Tour, which only travels 17 miles into the park. With cruisetours you want the Tundra Wilderness Tour which travels 53 miles into the park. You asked about seeing wilderness on the land portion, but the Natural History Tour shortchanges you in Denali. You really want to get a lot farther than 17 miles. There are shuttles that go 85 miles into the park. Talk about wildnerness!!!! This is an amazing journey.

Take a look at the different tours/shuttles available and the distances they travel. Here is the link for the shuttles:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Here is the link for the tour buses.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-tours.htm

Tours or shuttle all travel the same road.

I urge you not to book yet. I think you need to do some more research. Alaska cruises are very costly. Make sure you understand everything before you book. Sounds like your TA has a hold on this tour. If you don't book, you lose any cabin she may have booked for you and a spot on the land tour. (Not a biggie in my mind) I don't want anyone pressuring me, especially before I know all I need to know. Also, to have a TA recommend a tour that only includes the Natural History Tour is a big red flag in my mind. He/she is obviously not very knowledgeable about Alaska. Do you really want someone like this advising you? Just something to think about.

Here is a previous thread that is asking for suggestions on two different tours. I notice one goes to Beaver Creek. You might get some good information from this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1341127&highlight=beaver+creek

Hi again, thanks for the info.......wow! When we contacted HAL independently we were told the southbounds were not available. We really wanted a southbound. I will look into the Denali tours and Dawson City.

I appreciate the other leads. This has been very helpful. I will ask many questions when I talk to the TA.

thanks, Tina (potterymaker)

Hi again, thanks for the info.......wow! When we contacted HAL independently we were told the southbounds were not available. We really wanted a southbound. I will look into the Denali tours and Dawson City.

I appreciate the other leads. This has been very helpful. I will ask many questions when I talk to the TA.

Glad to help!!! Over the last five years I have seen far too many people book a cruise or cruisetour, then find CC and learn that what they booked is inferior. At least you found CC first and can do your research before you book. I am a fellow Michigander, and as you know getting to Alaska is costly. Once there it is probably one of the more expensive places you will visit for excursions. When all is said and done, you have spent a bundle. You owe it to yourself to get the most you can out of the experience.

I really suggest you get to the library and take out a Frommer's or Fodor's Alaska Book. You can skim it in a day. It will give you more of an idea of what is available in Alaska. Pay particular attention to ports and glaciers. You really do want to make an educated choice. I hate to criticize travel agents, but it would be the rare agent who is well versed on all vacation destinations. It is up to you, as the consumer, to learn all you can. For our first cruise I used an agent because I was uncomfortable doing it all on my own. However, before I contacted her, I did all my research. When I was done, I told her what I wanted to book and she did.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Looking at a booking site, the Tour #2 southbound leaves on the 16th and includes Tundra Wilderness Tour and picks up three other places, in exchange for one less night in Fairbanks and no Beaver Creek. Maybe there would be some spots there and you get a better Denali Experience as part of the package.

Tour Director, McKinley Explorer luxury rail, Overnight in Denali, Tundra Wilderness Tour, Overnight in Fairbanks, Gold Dredge No. 8 Tour, Alaska Highway to Tok, Overnight in Tok, Taylor Highway to Eagle, Yukon River cruise to Dawson, 2 nights in Dawson City & Tombstone Park, Klondike Highway to Whitehorse (with lunch), Frantic Follies Vaudeville Revue, Overnight in Whitehorse, Visit to Fraser, White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad to Skagway, 4 night Glacier Bay & Inside Passage cruise

Tour Director, overnight in Anchorage, McKinley Explorer glass-domed traincar, overnight in Denali, Natural History Tour of Denali National Park, 2 nights in Fairbanks, Riverboat Discovery Sternwheeler Cruise, exclusive Gold Dredge No. 8 Tour, overnight in Beaver Creek, Yukon Rendezvous Dinner Show, overnight in Whitehorse, White Pass & Yukon Railroad to Skagway, 4 Nt Inside Passage cruise featuring Glacier Bay National Park

Looking at the options and differences, to me the Tour #2 has A LOT!!! more wilderness and inland places to see for 1 more night, and there are openings on the site I was checking out, but the #8 is listed as "check availability" on some of the rooms.

Thank you all......so much to know.....so little time....Tina

Potterymaker

Maybe your TA was pushing since there was an upcoming sale special direct from Holland? July 16th sailing and all categories are showing.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseTourDetails.action?tourId=T1A02&voyageCode=V137B&webItineraryIdForAudit=AGS10402

Thank you all......so much to know.....so little time....Tina

Potterymaker

Whatever you do, please don't let your TA pressure you into booking before you have done your research and are sure of what you want to book.

I did the reverse of that cruisetour # 2. We sailed Northbound out of Vancouver, to Tracy Arm, Juneau and Skagway. Debarking in Skagway then 8 days on land to Fraser, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Tok, Fairbanks, Denali and ending in Anchorage, with HAL in '07, also in August.

Had a little bit of rain, but it usually waited until we were back on the coach or at the hotel before a really big cloud burst. There were four of us, and we all absolutely loved the cruisetour. HAL really does a good job organizing the cruisetours.

A few folks on this board advocate independent travel for Alaska, and if that's what you prefer, that's great, but if you've ever done a coach tour (and know whether you like the strict regiment) the cruisetour is a great way to see Alaska. We saw some small out of the way places, that I never would have found on my own (and never even heard of). No schlepping luggage (you put it outside your door and the driver, hotel help, tour director) make sure it gets on the coach. You don't have to drive, you can just sit back and watch all the scenery go by. They know what there is of importance to see along the route. The tour director is there 24 hours to help if you have any kind of problem.

As for the meal plan, it is only good for the hotels you will stay at. We didn't purchase it, as we felt we could eat cheaper than what they wanted for the meal plan, but after the trip, we were sorry we hadn't purchased the meal plan. Lunch is usually not a long break and a light lunch, so by dinner time when you arrive at the hotel, you are ready to eat, not spend an hour or two searching for someplace to eat that is going to charge you what you could pay at the hotel restaurant anyway. The restaurants at the hotels are usually prepared for the tour buses, so there isn't usually a wait. When we entered, we were always asked if we had the vouchers. Most on our tour did purchase the vouchers. We ended up paying around $15 for breakfast, $20-25 for lunch and $25-30 for dinner. And that was with a stop at the store in Skagway for sandwich fixings, chips, cookies, and water at the start of the trip.

We had 3 lunches included on our tour, but that was all the food provided in the initial cruisetour package. If you know you don't eat large hearty meals, you might be able to save over the meal plan, but if you like to eat (like we do) you'll spend just as much if not more than the price of the meal plan. Only you can decide if it will work for you.

And the food on the rail car to/from Denali is not included in the meal voucher. You still have to pay extra for that. But we had the best Prime Rib at $28 that I've ever had anywhere!

Go to the library, check out Frommer's, Fodors travel guides. You clearly have a computer, as you are on this board, check out the various towns and see what interests you most. Dawson City is absolutely fabulous. Dirt roads, buildings from the 1800's, boardwalks, it was almost like stepping back in time, until you see the cars and electricity, etc. Then decide if you want to spend your time driving and trying to find things, or whether you want someone else to do the driving and you just enjoy the ride!:D Have fun! Alaska is an awesome destination!

Thank you all for all your help...............we did book the #8 Cruise. #2 does look better because of Denali and Dawson City, but as you probably imagine, because it is better, it was full except 2 times that we could not travel(and more expensive). We appreciate all the good advice. We will not get the land meal plan. TA did not suggest it either. There were only 3 dinners, 5 breakfasts and 1 lunch. She said, not worth the price. I appreciate all the good suggestions. I will formulate more questions about exciting places to visit. Sorry we are not staying longer in Denali. We needed to used frequent flyer miles this summer, or they would expire.

You all are a wonderful resource and I will indeed ask more questions as we proceed toward the middle of August and our exciting Alaska Trip.

With much appreciation. I need to get back to my: pottery making : - )

(potterymaker) Tina

Thank you all for all your help...............we did book the #8 Cruise. #2 does look better because of Denali and Dawson City, but as you probably imagine, because it is better, it was full except 2 times that we could not travel(and more expensive). We appreciate all the good advice. We will not get the land meal plan. TA did not suggest it either. There were only 3 dinners, 5 breakfasts and 1 lunch. She said, not worth the price. I appreciate all the good suggestions. I will formulate more questions about exciting places to visit. Sorry we are not staying longer in Denali. We needed to used frequent flyer miles this summer, or they would expire.

You all are a wonderful resource and I will indeed ask more questions as we proceed toward the middle of August and our exciting Alaska Trip.

With much appreciation. I need to get back to my: pottery making : - )

(potterymaker) Tina

Thanks for getting back to us with your final plans. I hope you have a great time!!!!Be sure to report back and tell us how your trip went.

Archived