Montreal Private Tour with Luggage too

Six of us (3 couples) are doing a cruise from Montreal to NYC with Crystal that begins on 9/24. All of us are arriving the day before but, due to late flight arrivals, we have opted to stay that night at the Montreal Airport Marriott which is actually attached to the airport. We would like to take a tour of Montreal the next day before we embark on the ship (it actually overnights in Montreal the first night.)

Can anyone recommend a private tour that will pick us up at the airport hotel with our luggage and end the tour at the cruise terminal? We realize that, with luggage for six, this would have to be a larger vehicle. We would be interested in a 4-6 hour tour, if available.

Thanks everyone!

I'm a local (and an innkeeper) and I have to tell you that your chances of finding someone to do this is low. Why? Because cruises just aren't important to our economy in Montreal. You are going to need to find someone who not only does the job of a tour guide, but also has a mini-van to transport you and your luggage in a city where the most likely people to give you a tour took the bus, metro, bicycle or walked. All the listed tour guides in Montreal that I know, other than Grey Line basically meet you and walk or bike from the meeting point. This is going to cost you, dearly.... probably more than simply staying in Old Montreal in the first place.

I have two honest suggestions and then I'll give you a list of tour companies in Montreal that you can call.

1. Don't stay at the airport, even if your flight arrives at 11 PM. It's just a very lonely place to stay. It is 35 minutes from town in a suburban wasteland with airport food. Even if you venture out by taxi, the minimum fare is high and the restaurants in the area are mediocre at best. You can take a taxi to Old Montreal for $38 and stay in a lovely boutique hotel where you can walk to a nice restaurant. The next day you can leave your luggage and tour around, then check your luggage with Crystal and enjoy the rest of your day in the city.

2. Take a mini-bus into Montreal around noon and check your luggage in and then meet a private tour guide from say http://www.guidatour.qc.ca/ for the afternoon. (Having wasted an evening and a morning in Montreal that you could have enjoyed otherwise.)

If you really want to stay out at the airport, then here is a beginning list of people who say they do private tours. Just pray one of them has a really big minivan, because in Montreal that's unusual.... we are a small car kind of town. This is not a recommendation of any sort. This is simply a list that I culled from sources, use at your own risk.

Guidatour http://www.guidatour.qc.ca/

Tours by Locals http://goo.gl/TPkg6

http://www.octopustravel.com

Guidatour is likely your best bet. I do know that they will, for the right price, pick people up at the airport. The minivan for 6 people will likely be the problem. But give it a try.

Thanks to both Ephraim and maryanne ns for replying. I now think we would be making a big mistake by staying at the airport hotel that night. I definitely do not want to waste a minute of the time we have in Montreal. I'll relay this to the other two couples and see if I can change their minds.

Ephraim, I was hoping you would respond because I have learned so much from your past posts. Thanks for taking the time to give us so much information about possible tour options. Now I'm going to read over this board's previous posts to find which hotels you and others have recommended for a pre-cruise stay.

Thanks again, everyone!

Archived