recommend a beach in Grand Cayman?

rhume55

Wife and I were in Grand Cayman before, asked the taxi to take us to a beach and she brought us to Royal Palms beach, only minutes from the ship. Liked it a lot, a clean, pretty, simple beach.

We're going back to Grand Cayman and I am wondering about beaches. There are excursions to Sea Grape Beach, Tiki Beach, and there appear to be others discussed here -- Cemetary Beach, Public Beach ... maybe more.

Does anyone have any recommendations where we should go this visit? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

I've done some research on here and other sites and from what I gather. If you want quiet, but no facilities, for snorkelling or swimming Cemetary Beach is supposed to be fantastic. We are going in August and I am hoping to go there myself. We will see if it stacks up to the reviews.

• 3 months later...
Wife and I were in Grand Cayman before, asked the taxi to take us to a beach and she brought us to Royal Palms beach, only minutes from the ship. Liked it a lot, a clean, pretty, simple beach.

We're going back to Grand Cayman and I am wondering about beaches. There are excursions to Sea Grape Beach, Tiki Beach, and there appear to be others discussed here -- Cemetary Beach, Public Beach ... maybe more.

Does anyone have any recommendations where we should go this visit? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

We did the 7-mile beach. It was free to get in, we just paid for a short taxi ride there.

Seven mile beach is the long stretch of beach. The others you named are smaller areas that are part of Seven Mile Beach. We usually go to Sea Grape.

Last time, we went to Calico Jacks, next to Public Beach. It was very crowded, with some large family groups, many drinking heavily. They were there first, and grabbed 4-5 picnic tables for their group. We came later, and claimed a table in the back. (At a beach bar - as long as you order food and drinks, you can use the picnic tables for free.)

About half an hour after we got there, several large men in Speedos decided our table in the shade was better, and started moving our things out of the way so they could use it. Plopped themselves down on the bench seats. One guy actually leaned back and rested himself on me. I know a few words in Portuguese, and they were saying some nasty things about us. Maybe they were trying to drive us out? They succeeded. The waitress couldn't even get to our table, since there were so many people. It was just myself and 2 teen daughters, so we retreated.

We ended up at Royal Palms, and it was much better there.

Traveling with family, and several would like the beach while others would like to try the local shopping. They are not looking for much, more like flea market, local items, etc. Is there are beach in Cayman that is nice to enjoy the water, sand, etc and close enough for those to shop? Heard Governor Beach was nice, and some shopping within a short walk. Correct? Like to go to a one-stop place so we can all still be together.

Thank you in advance.

Heard about Rum Point as a great beach. Noticed there was the Pedro St. James Historical Site nearby? Anyone done this?

Is there some local shopping nearby Rum Point? Last port of call, and some of the ladies would like to grab some gifts before we leave. I know there are places at the port, but it tends to be the same ol, same ol things. Thought maybe different away from port, and the rest of our party can enjoy the beach.

Archived