Buying Snorkeling Gear! Help!!!

texaskreek06

My wife and I are going on our second cruise this summer and are looking to do some sort of snorkeling at every port(4) since we loved snorkeling on our last cruise. Seeing as how we will be doing a good part on our own, and not part of a group, we are looking to buy our own. We would like a good quality set of snorkels (preferably dry), masks, fins, & vest, but we don't want to pay too much, nor buy more than we need. Considering we will only use it maybe 3-5 times every year(or two). Any idea's on how much to spend and more importantly what to buy and where to buy it? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in Advance!

Your best bet is to find a local dive shop and have them assist you. The key thing is making sure your mask fits properly. Since the way you stated it, it sounds as though this is not a one time shot at snorkeling, but something you will do again in the future, spending the extra money for good equipment is worth it. If however, you are on a limited budget, then check what they have at Walmart, Target, K-Mart, etc. If possible, take the items out of the packages and try the fit (you can always verify it there and probably find it less expensive at Amazon). I would still recommend the mask from the dive shop, and the rest you can get at the dept store, or Amazon, but you want to make sure whatever you get fits.

Just bought a US divers snorkeling set at Costco last week for my cruise next week. It cost $39 which includes mask, fin, snorkel and mesh bag. A friend is lending me her vest which she purchased at a local dive shop for about $38.

I agree here, I have the Costco set and it serves me well. Just try the mask out in the pool or tub before you go so you know it fits. I am a good swimmer but ALWAYS use a vest, it just makes it easier to manipulate my gear if I need to without also trying to stay afloat.

Happy snorkeling and travels to you.

Your best bet is to find a local dive shop and have them assist you. The key thing is making sure your mask fits properly. Since the way you stated it, it sounds as though this is not a one time shot at snorkeling, but something you will do again in the future, spending the extra money for good equipment is worth it. If however, you are on a limited budget, then check what they have at Walmart, Target, K-Mart, etc. If possible, take the items out of the packages and try the fit (you can always verify it there and probably find it less expensive at Amazon). I would still recommend the mask from the dive shop, and the rest you can get at the dept store, or Amazon, but you want to make sure whatever you get fits.

I agree with this poster. If you buy good equipment it will last you a long, long time. The key is the mask and also the fins. If the fins don't fit good, you will have rubbing and blistering. That will leave you in a lot of pain. The Mask is equally as important, as it doesn't do an good if you cannot see.

I am a certified scuba diver and spent quite a bit of $$$ on dive gear. I made the decision to invest in good quality gear a while ago that I use everytime I go scuba diving; I dive frequently so I wanted to get equipment that will last and feel good. My dive gear is looking pretty ragged these days so I am probably going to buy a few new items this year - I have had the same mask, fins and snorkel for over 10 years, and dive with it on average 4 weeks a year. It's still in excellent shape, though my mask and fins are looking pretty bad.

I personally wouldn't buy any snorkel "package" that came with fins, a mask and a snorkel as the masks in these packages tend to be very poor quality and often leak. You don't have to spend a lot to get quality dive gear - you just have to know what fits you well and get what you need. Every June, the dive industry introduces their newest products, and dive shops all over the US have sales on dive gear. I recommend you check out local dive shops and online stores - a good quality mask and snorkel will save you a lot of frustration and are more important than fins, which you can skimp on.

A good quality mask and snorkel that you take care of by rinsing off and storing carefully will last you many, many years - I have had mine for 10. Go to a dive shop and try on a few different masks - make note of the ones that feel good and have a good seal.. Then check out a few online dive shops next month for clearance items.

Good luck.

Follow Sailfishes recommandation. The following is an excellent guide for fitting the mask:

How many times have you gone into a dive store, tried a mask that seemed to fit just great, got on an airplane to halfway around the world, jumped into the water and the mask leaked? There seems to be a nearly universal way to try a mask, which unfortunately happens to be the wrong way. Put the mask on, inhale through your nose and guess what? The mask fits. Right? Wrong!

The big mistake is that no one dives or snorkels with a vacuum in their mask or shouldn't be if they are. By inhaling through the nose, an unnatural seal is created. Some divers have tried on masks that don't even come close to fitting but as soon as they inhale, a tight seal is created. While diving though, they are not constantly trying to inhale through their nose (which is what the store clerk told them to do) and now the mask leaks.

Someone told a tale of a dive store that displays all masks without straps. The idea apparently is to check that a really good vacuum makes a really good fit. Once again, no one dives trying to inhale through their nose constantly and without a strap no less.

Almost all modern masks have an outer seal and a narrower inner seal. This inside seal covers everywhere except just under the nose. If both of these seals touch the face than the odds of that mask fitting and not leaking are very good. This is done by putting the mask on with the strap loose, but in place, and then tightening it to what would be normal if you were diving. Some divers who have had very bad masks are in the habit of over tightening the strap on a new mask in hopes of a better seal. Don't do that especially while trying masks for fit.

The next step takes a second person or a mirror. Look around the entire inside of the mask checking to see that the inner seal touches everywhere. It is very important not to inhale through the nose which forces the mask seals to touch if they didn't naturally. Next check the outside seal the same way.

If the inner seal is not touching the face, especially next to the side of the eyes, it is likely the mask won't work well. But do check everywhere around the inside. The outer seal might keep water from dripping in but not as well as if both seals touch. Make sure the seals do not cut across any hairline or eyebrows. Also that the side seals are not right at the edge of the eye.

One other problem can occur when someone laughs, smiles or even squints. This motion creates lines or wrinkles next to the nose. Sometimes this makes a passage where water pours in. Almost every mask will leak when this happens. So don't laugh! Occasionally, depending on the person, these wrinkles may remain even after they stop laughing. In this case it may be necessary to straighten the face by pulling down or sideways on the cheeks. Again this is not necessarily a mask problem. So don't run out and buy a new mask.

If absolutely necessary, to keep everyone happy, you can now inhale slightly to check any unseen leaks. Sometimes a mask leaks around the glass. This is very unusual and is a one off problem, not the design of the mask. You can check this by holding the mask with the face plate parallel to the floor and putting water in the mask. If the face plate seal is faulty, drops of water will appear on the outside.

Don't be fooled by the size of a mask's frame and lenses. This has little if anything to do with how a masks fits. People will look for what seems like a narrow or wide mask, depending, but what counts is the size of the skirt where your face is actually touching the mask. An exaggerated example but if the lens of a mask is 1 foot wide but the skirt is only 4 inches, this would fit a rather narrow face but the mask looks huge.

With literally 10's of dozens of masks on the market, there is one that will fit. It may take awhile to find but it is out there.

Thanks for that little bit of info. Unfortunately we just got the us divers set in from LL bean yesterday. My wife got a small and I got the XL set. Her fins and mask seem to fit ok, but I'll make her stick her head under water in the bath tub first to make sure it doesn't leak. Mine on the other hand, does not fit. The fins are too small(i wear a size 16 shoes)! So I will be sending mine back, unless the mask fits really well. They seem to be decent and I believe they are dry snorkels. Anyone know how to get XXL fins? Thanks for all the info, it has been very much helpful! Aren't these forums great!!!

Thanks for that little bit of info. Unfortunately we just got the us divers set in from LL bean yesterday. My wife got a small and I got the XL set. Her fins and mask seem to fit ok, but I'll make her stick her head under water in the bath tub first to make sure it doesn't leak. Mine on the other hand, does not fit. The fins are too small(i wear a size 16 shoes)! So I will be sending mine back, unless the mask fits really well. They seem to be decent and I believe they are dry snorkels. Anyone know how to get XXL fins? Thanks for all the info, it has been very much helpful! Aren't these forums great!!!

Aeris makes an XXL, but I don't know if they'll fit a size 16.

http://www.diveaeris.com/p_fins_velocity_sizechart.html

Your best bet is to visit a local scuba shop and ask an employee.

My US Divers set from costco worked great on my recent cruise. The only problem was with the fogging of the mask even after using spit. In Play Del Carmen, I did find a scuba shop who sold ant-fog spray for $7. This stuff worked like a charm.

Would recommend that everyone take some of this anti-fog spray with them.

My next purchase is a vest, my friend lent me hers. Can purchase from a local dive shop for about $32, the brand being scubamax. Will get one before my Oct cruise.

Enjoy

To keep any mask from fogging, it's important to wash off the protectant coating the mfg places on the lens when you first buy it. The easiest way to do this is with toothpaste. As a diver, I make my own defog out of baby shampoo, typically what you will also find on dive boats and snorkel tours. But no amount of defog will help if you don't keep the mask lens super clean. That's why we always wash it out regularly with toothpaste; doing so keeps the mask from fogging.

As you shop for masks, remember that low volume masks have a tendancy to fog up, so you have to keep them super clean. I went from a larger mask to a low volume mask and noticed this right away. No amount of de-fog helped. I like my new mask, however, I have to scrub it with toothpaste after every dive to insure it doesn't fog up.

• 2 weeks later...

We only snorkel every few years (but having snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef, Hawaii and Tahiti/Rangora the snorkel places were wonderful :D) and I think having your own well fitted mask with your own eye RX is one of the great pleasures in life. So easy to enjoy the wonderful scenery under the water. The same goes for the vest -- stabalizes and keeps you from feeling so much motion in open ocean. I generally do not take my own fins to cut down on weight and space.

MY TIP: Carry your mask in your hand luggage in it's "tupperware" container. One friend had her mask shatter on the plane with the mask in the underbelly. Dive shop said probably got too cold. Vest and snokel was fine in suitcase.

To keep any mask from fogging, it's important to wash off the protectant coating the mfg places on the lens when you first buy it. The easiest way to do this is with toothpaste. As a diver, I make my own defog out of baby shampoo, typically what you will also find on dive boats and snorkel tours. But no amount of defog will help if you don't keep the mask lens super clean. That's why we always wash it out regularly with toothpaste; doing so keeps the mask from fogging.

As you shop for masks, remember that low volume masks have a tendancy to fog up, so you have to keep them super clean. I went from a larger mask to a low volume mask and noticed this right away. No amount of de-fog helped. I like my new mask, however, I have to scrub it with toothpaste after every dive to insure it doesn't fog up.

Can you use any toothpaste? I have an extra mask I have not yet used...will treat it before I leave.

We use Snorkel Mart (put www. then snorkelmart followed by .com) We get dry snork. So when you go under you do not get any water. My DH needed a perscription mask and was able to get it there without breaking the bank. We also perfer the shorter fins as they are easier to pack and carry. The thought of using someone elses mouth piece is :eek:!

My DH likes the 360 degree mask. My DS's and I have regular masks. Buying my stepdaughter her first set for Christmas as she is taking her first cruise in February.

I agree that buying the sets is a one size fits all. The above site does have sets, but ordered ours seperate based on what we wanted.

Enjoy your snorkeling :D

Lots of good info and suggestions up there...

My thought on dive/snorkel gear...

Since I am an avid Scuba diver, I have spent good money on really good gear. My mask and fins double for diving and snorkeling. I do not carry a snorkel when diving. I carry a good snorkel just for snorkeling. I don't wear a snorkel vest. My mask is a Atomic Frameless ($100), my snorkel is an Aqualung Impulse 3 Flex ($40), My fins are Aqualung Hot Shots ($120). Total $260. Estimated lifespan of 10 years (just like the set these replaced).

I justify the cost this way...

Snorkel gear rental is anywhere from $15 - $30. I will use $20 to be more than fair. I cruise twice a year. I dive or snorkel at least twice per trip. (I'm staying low for this example). $20 rental x 2 cruises x 2 dips = $80. In less than 4 trips I am saving money. And... I am not including the diving I do every month at home.

Dive/ snorkel gear really is the type of equipment where you get what you pay for. So before you balk at spending your hard-earned cash for good gear... think further down the road... will you be spending that $50 or $100 more than once? Or... are you buying quality gear that will outlast the price you paid for it?

Remember... either way... do not store your gear in the garage, or outside. It should be rinsed in fresh water after you use it and stored in a climate controlled place inside the house.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

bumpity bump

Hubby also wears size 15-16 shoes and all fins drive him crazy!!! Any more suggestions??? BTW- for as much as we snorkel (maybe once a year), I have been very happy with the costco us diver set. It's a dry snorkel and the mask fits great. Myabe I was lucky, but for the cost, it was fine. I also purchased a vest (which I don't like to use and don't use much, but sometimes the water can get a bit rough or you find yourself too far out and it's nice to have).

bumpity bump

Hubby also wears size 15-16 shoes and all fins drive him crazy!!! Any more suggestions??? BTW- for as much as we snorkel (maybe once a year), I have been very happy with the costco us diver set. It's a dry snorkel and the mask fits great. Myabe I was lucky, but for the cost, it was fine. I also purchased a vest (which I don't like to use and don't use much, but sometimes the water can get a bit rough or you find yourself too far out and it's nice to have).

I too am a certified diver and also have a husband with large feet. Though we both own the type of fins with straps that require booties, the last time we dove this summer, we used rental gear. We both ended up diving with snorkel fins - the shorter ones with the step-in, built-in bootie. My husband's foot by the second dive was raw - couldn't find a fin large enough. We never dive without our own gear, but this trip we didn't check baggage and didn't think we would dive in Puerto Vallarta.

Anyone with a large foot should get fins that require a bootie - they are always more comfortable.

Archived