rental car in Ketchikan and Kodiak Island?

fisheswithbears

DH and I will be on the Amsterdam in Alaska at the end of May/beginning of June. We want to rent a car in Ketchikan and also on Kodiak Island. The question I have is what is the best way to get to the airports where the rental cars are? I'm not sure where we dock in Kodiak. Have any of you done this before?

For Kodiak, your only option - unless you rent from their downtown location - is to grab a cab once you get off the ship. There were several waiting to pick up fares when we disembarked there last year.

This year, I'm going back on the Aug. 5th sailing of the Amsterdam, and we've rented a car in Ketchikan. We're renting form Alaska Car Rental - Townside, so we don't need to go to the airport. It is located at 2828 Tongass Avenue, their number is 800-662-0007 and their website is akcarrental.com. We are getting a compact car from 8AM-3PM for $66.07 total charges. There will be three of us, and it makes for a nice, very inexpensive "excursion." We'll be in Ketchikan on the day of their annual Blueberry Festival, so we hope to partake in some of those festivities before heading out on the road to see what we will see.

Thank you so much for your quick answer. I just made the Ketchikan rental with the Townside agency. That makes me very excited. This will be my 3rd visit in Ketchikan but have never really seen the town as my husband does not walk well. Now we can explore and see everything at our own pace.

Enjoy the blueberries! We miss the Crab Days on Kodiak by just a couple days:(

Archived