Exp. Advice needed - suite on Zuiderdam, Inspiration or Car. Princess

tammyp5

First time cruisers looking for some real advice. Can't tell you how much I've enjoyed persuing this site. We are 35+ couple who enjoys 5-star hotels. Don't know much about cruising but would love to try it. Have limited schedule so are looking at May 2005. Want a cruise with 4 or 5 star service (white glove not necessary, but we appreciate attention and tip WELL), good food, relaxed feel, great ports and not too many kids. Nightlife and shows, drinking/partying not important. Good bedding and large bathroom with tub very important. Suite looks like the best choice. Here are the ones I've found that have availability, and help would be appreciated:

Zuiderdam, 7 nt, western car. Sup. Ver. Suite $1204

Pros: Looks nice, sounds quieter than most, some say upgraded bedding? Tub adn shower. Food and service reviews pretty good. Not too many families. Reviews of Half Moon Cay are fab

Cons: 294 sq ft (too small?), Vibration? Fort Lauderdale airport sounds poorly prepared for crowds

Caribbean Princess, 7 nt, East Car. Mini Suite $1299

Pros: New ship. Tub/Shower, 324 sq ft, Lots to do. Looks beautiful

Cons: highest price of the 3, east caribbean not as interesting to us, FL again

Carnival Inspiration, 5 nt, West Car Cat 12 Suite $1149

Pros: 5 nt (in case we don't like it as much as we think we will), Tampa port, 330 sq ft with Jacuzzi tub, highest category

Cons: Carnival family crowds? Food and service reviews good but not great. Can't find reviews or recent photos of Cat 12 suite (bedding?)

Thanks for giving us so much info already!

Tammyp

first time cruiser May 2005

As a Carnival fan, I wouldn't recommend the Inspiration 5 day. We sailed her when she sailed the 7 day western caribbean itinerary and had a great time, but she is showing her age and I think you are looking for something fancier. Food is very good, however. Also, the shorter trips usually bring in the partying crowd. Yes, they will be on every ship, but more so on the shorter trips. And, Carnival is known for their shows and nightlife and it looks like you want a quieter experience.

For just a little more money, I'd go with one of the other 2 ships. (well, ok, I, personally wouldn't, because I'm still sailing with my teens, but if I were you, I'd chose one of those.;) )

Don't know if this qualifies as expert advice but here goes. I would recommend an S suite on the Zuiderdam don't think thats the suite you mentioned but the extra size and perks are worth it in my opinion. We have been on the Zuiderdam 4 times with S aft wraparound suites. The balconies are amazing back there. They vary by deck for size but suite 5186 and 5187 are the biggest. Cabins are about 360 sq ft and the balconies are just as big for these two cabins. Typically an older crowd and pretty quiet. As for the bathroom double sinks separate shower and a whirlpool tub. As for FT. Lauderdale airport never had a problem and if your in an S suite your one of the first off ship you grab a cab and you get to the airport before the masses arrive.

Only been on Princess once good cruise but at least the cruise we were on the other passengers were quite a bit older so we've ruled them out for future cruises.

As for the Inspiration we've been on it twice but never in an cat 12 suite nice ship but older and not one I'd recommend for you. We've been in a cat 12 on another Carnival ship the Paradise which is the same design as the Inspiration and the cabin was nice but not even close to a S suite on the Zuiderdam.

As always just my opinions. Hope this helps..Bob

Hi, Tammy - welcome to cruising; watch out, you're going to get hooked!

Based on how you describe yourselves, it sounds as if Carnival wouldn't be right at all for you. Between Princess and HAL Zuiderdam, they have similar quality food and service, similar passenger mix (being in the Caribbean they both get more families with kids than their ships elsewhere) but I'd give the edge to the Zuiderdam for the suite itself. Whereas the CP mini-suites are long and narrow, the Zuiderdam suites are wide, so they feel more spacious even though they're not quite as large on a sf basis. Also, a wider balcony seems to me to be more desirable than a narrow one. Lastly, Princess doesn't provide extra services for their suite guests: no butlers, no concierge, no private lounge. Zuiderdam also doesn't have butler service but it has a concierge lounge that's reserved for suite guests, along with certain other perks: a dinner with the Captain or other officers, special tours, etc.

I'd actually recommend a suite on board a Celebrity ship for you (more elegant furnishings IMHO, lots of little perks, and BUTLERS!), but Celebrity doesn't have any ships in the Caribbean this summer - they're all in Alaska or Europe.

Archived