Accra Beach - Thank you Sunnie!

sammynobrains

I was in Barbados last month, and thanks to Sunnie, we headed straight to Accra Beach. It was our third time in Barbados, and we wanted to visit a new beach. It was one of the highlights of our trip, and it was the best beach we visited all week.

The head guy at the taxi stand tried to discourage us from this beach, and I'm glad we weren't swayed. The taxi was $20 US each way (which I thought was a little expensive considering the location), and we paid $10 US for 2 beach chairs and 1 umbrella.

The beach had nice rolling waves in the morning... perfect for my husband to body surf the day away. But, they weren't the knock-you-down-waves that we encountered at Crane a couple of years ago. The beach was much calmer in the afternoon but still had small swells. The water was a gorgeous aquamarine color, and the sand had the tiniest tint of pink in it. The beach wasn't deserted, but not too crowded either. Most of the people were European, vacationing at area resorts. Cruise ship passengers were scarce. We saw people snorkeling, but I'm not sure what they would have seen. I'm glad we left our snorkel gear on the ship.

We had ice-cold Banks beer and flying fish sandwiches at a restaurant at the far end of the beach (can't remember the name). It was excellent, but the service was a little slower than even "island time." But, hey, we had the entire day to lounge around, so we weren't complaining.

It was a terrific day. Thanks, Sunnie, for recommending a perfect beach!

HI Sammy,

No problem, glad I could help. Can you see why we go to that beach almost every weekend. It's a hard life.. but someone has to do it.. hehehe..

The name of the restaurant on the little cove end of the beach is called Sugar Reef. It's just be taken over by a couple who have been in the catering business in Barbados for years.. I have just learned from other people that the service is kind of slow, which I wish it wasn't,, but it isn't fast food.. (but I understand it's even slower than it should be). Have to a word with the owners to see whats up.

the entire stretch of beach is called Accra, but that end (with the restaurant) is known as Rockley, I think because that restaurant used to be owned by Rockley Beach Resort and was part of the Amenities package (not sure but thats what I understand).

Archived