Anyone leaving little ones at home??

4THELOVEOFBOO

My hubby and I are going on the Dream in November and have a Three year old little boy that we are leaving home with Nannie and Papa who he loves! I know that he will be taking care of very well but I have all this worry and guilt!!! My husband and I work very hard and do not get to spend much time together and we left him home on purpose to have a vacation alone. But, my heart aches!!! I don't want to bring him with us I know we need a break but, I was wondering if there were any others out there that leave little ones home and if they struggle with the same feelings?? I mean are we "mean" parents by leaving hime home? We just think that he is too young to bring him too... Just venting:)

You're a mommy, so of course you feel guilty and worried. Personally, I would jump at the chance to take a kid-free vacation. I don't have anyone that I could leave my boys, 6 & 9, with for a week. I have never taken a real vacation without them. And ex hubby gets them a weekend a month as he's out of state. Don't get me wrong..I love our family trips and the memories we've created but you are blessed to have this time and parents to help.

Plus, at 3, he's not tall enough to do the waterslides, enjoy the pool without help, get his own food...you and DH wouldn't truly be vacationing. And DS probably won't remember this anyway. At 3, its good for kids to have some time away from mom n dad and letting g-ma and g-pa have this time to bond with him will just make your entire family unit stronger. Do the normal amount of worrying...but don't let it eat you up. You aren't doing anything wrong!

Yea my sister is a single mother of three (a 6 year old girl, and twin two year olds boy and girl) and she is sooo worried about leaving them. Which she has a right to. she has only been away from the twins for one night. And were going on a 7!! She also hasnt been on an airplane in 20 years!!!! gonna be interesting!

My children are grown and have grandchildren. When I cruise, I wonder why parents go through what they do taking children on a cruise. Yes, it's family time, but kids are just as happy at the local pool. The distractions must cut into adult pleasure times, keeping an eye out for them, missing shows, making sure they're fed, behaving, not going to serenity areas, time is spent in the kiddie areas etc.

Adults need that down time, do what they want when they want. It's only for a week usually. The kids won't be scarred for life! It's your vacation. When you get back, do things as a family. I don't get why parents have this guilt thing going on, it's a week, not a lifetime.

My wife went through a lot of this when we left our daughter several years ago. I was worried that she might not enjoy herself on the cruise because of it. We wound up having a great time and so did our daughter who had a great time with her grandparents. I came to realize that the reason she worried and felt so guilty is because like you, she is a great mom. You've more than earned a break. Have a great cruise, make some memories.

Go decompress and relax knowing he is in GREAT hands. at his age they lack th ability to recall vacations.

When he hits 6-7 start taking him as he will have a more enjoyable time.

John

The OP's feelings are exactly what my husband and I have been dealing with. We want to take another cruise in a couple of years, but can't agree on taking the kids. We both say it would be great to have an US trip, but at the same time, can't imagine going and not taking the boys.

As far as the 3 yr old not remembering...I have to disagree. My now 4 yr old was 3 last year when we went as a a family. He remembers the cruise and talks about it all the time. He recently mentioned something WE had forgotten!!! So it's not b/c we talk about it with him.

We're going on a cruise in October and leaving our 3 little girls (ages 5, 3 & 1) in the capable hands of their loving godparents. Both the girls and the godparents are looking forward to a little 'parent free' time and we can't wait to set foot on that ship! :) While I really don't feel guilty, necessarily, I know I will miss them and I feel a little anxious about being so far away for so long (6 days total). I know that they'll have a great time and we'll have a great time and it will be good for all of us, but I'm a mom - I can't help but worry a little. ;)

My hubby and I are going on the Dream in November and have a Three year old little boy that we are leaving home with Nannie and Papa who he loves! I know that he will be taking care of very well but I have all this worry and guilt!!! My husband and I work very hard and do not get to spend much time together and we left him home on purpose to have a vacation alone. But, my heart aches!!! I don't want to bring him with us I know we need a break but, I was wondering if there were any others out there that leave little ones home and if they struggle with the same feelings?? I mean are we "mean" parents by leaving hime home? We just think that he is too young to bring him too... Just venting:)

I don't envy you.

I have been there/done that.

I will tell you my experience (and yours may vary)

From now until Nov, the day of your cruise you will do nothing but fret over this and worry yourself sick. No matter what anyone tells you, you will not feel better about leaving your child.

Then, the day of the cruise comes, you drop your child and head to the airport (or straight to the port) and once you are on your way, you suddenly won't feel awful anymore.

Once you start your vacation, sanity somehow comes back to your brain and you realize that your parents managed to keep you alive and healthy when you were a child and they will likely take even better care of their grandchild.

You will enjoy your cruise and your child and your parents will have had an amazing week alone to bond. That grandparent/grandchild relationship is SUCH a precious one, and your child will one day thank you for any time you allow them to have alone with their grandparents.

But from now til Nov, you're screwed.

Just hang in there. :)

My husband and I are going on the Pride 3 weeks from tomorrow and we're leaving our 9, 5, and 3 year olds with their grandparents (my in-laws). The kids are excited that they get to spend 7 nights with grandma and grandpa. And grandma and grandpa are excited for the kids to stay with them for the week. They already have all kinds of activities planned (around my 9 year old's school schedule, of course)!

I do feel guilty about leaving the kids behind, but, I also know that this trip is a gift to ourselves. My husband works full time and attends college classes on a part time basis. I stay at home with the kids and am a full time student. And we're both GRADUATING!!! A huge source of stress and chaos in our lives is finally ending, and, in my opinion, we both deserve a week to relax and unwind. That being said, we are going with the kids to the Outer Banks this summer for a week, so we will also go on a family vacation.

I'm sure you are fantastic parents. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to enjoy a guilt and stress-free week with your husband! Have a great trip!

Right there with you!! We have a three year old also - a little girl. Hubby and I both work and we live in a town 3 hours away from my parents. Though she loooves her Nonni and Grumpy (I know...), she doesn't get to see them every single day. We skype and all I ever here is how she wants to go to their house! I know she'll be totally fine. She's done 5 or 6 days there before when daycare was closed. But...I even feel guilty that I'm not taking her with us. She does everything with us. We need the time though. I just keep telling myself that.

-Ashley

If it makes you feel any better, my husband and I left our three kids home with my mother who happens to live right next door to us. We had never had a vacation alone since the kids....and it was the best thing we ever did. We had the time of our lives. It was nice to be "duty free" for seven days. They are going on the next cruise with us, but not the one after. I know how you feel, but trust me, you will be happy that you took the time to reconnect with your hubby. It will remind you of why you fell in love and life before the kids.

we have 8 kids from 2-14 we leave in June on the Inspiration, but are leaving 3 littlest at home with grandparents. Later in the summer we will be taking everyone to the beach for a long weekend.

Archived