New Thread on the Redundant Threads

NotADude

Hi All,

I have been on the board for a couple of years now and I also have been one of those people asking the same questions that have been answered time and time again, I'm sure. BUT... I did not post before searching. In fact, I would search through pages and pages... Sometimes 15 to 20 pages before giving up and posting. I did not know you could do a keyword search. It would have made it much easier on me.

To those of you who kindly stated how to do this, I thank you very much! You have save me sooooo much time!!! To those who were rude with their posts, you may want to take lessons from those who showed a better way and show some patience with people. We are all here for the same reason ... We love cruising. We are not here to argue or make others feel bad.

Just a little food for thought. Thank you again to those who explained how to do the keyword search. And to pass on that information again to those of you who didn't know you could do this, I am copying the instructions 'Pudgesmom' made on a previous thread.

- Terry

For those who need help-

On the top of page with all the thread names, look at the top on the far right on the blue area for: "Search this forum." Click on that, and when the little box appears, type in your topic. For example, "dress code," or "bringing alcohol on board."

You will get a list of threads discussing your topic of interest.

I hope this helps. Maybe someone more computer literate than me can describe this better.

Beth

Perhaps Host Walt would be willing to post a sticky note at the top of this forum entitled "Newbie Questions" with link to previous posts.

As a newbie a few months ago, I was not always able to find the answers to my questions. It is not always an issue of not being able to find an answer, in many cases posters are new to computers and bulletin boards.

Fortunately most seasoned posters were very willing to answer my newbie questions when I first joined the board :)

Another thing to keep in mind is that the search function isn't perfect. It's much better than it was (remember how frustrating it was before ... when it worked at all?) So it's still possible to search and not find exactly what you want. But again, search works now much better than it did in the previous incarnation of the board's software.

As a newbie to this board - just want to mention.. I was going batty trying to search on something simple that I knew there just had to be tons of info on... like informal night dress code -- and then I caught on to trying the search using quotes, then trying it not using quotes if I couldn't quite find what I was looking for.. or using partial quotes - example "informal night" zuiderdam dress code, and it seemed to make a difference in how posts were returned. Doesn't mean I won't ever ask a question that hasn't been asked- but thought it might help someone who was 'search challenged' like me. :)

Archived