Car seat in Freeport and Nassau- which mode is safer?

traceyg

Bus, taxi, jitney, water taxi???? We will be in Freeport and Nassau for excursions. We will have our 10month son with us and I really want to have him in his car seat if we are going by land transportation. There will be him and the other 5 in our family, so 6 total. I know that they pile people into different vehicles to make more money on fare. I don't mind "buying" those extra seats if it means I can use his car seat and not have the taxi/car/van packed and having to hold him instead. I don't want to advertise this to the driver either for fear of being taken advantage of. I also realize that I need seat belts to make this work. I don't mind tipping extra for the time it will take to get the car seat hooked up.

What's the best option?

While you should be able to find a taxi with seat belts to install the car seat, and once it's installed, the driver can't pack anyone else in there (don't advertise that you'd pay for extra seats), I'd personally do the water taxi. I'd bring your own personal life vest for your DS, however. At 10 months, I might chalk this up to a cruise where you're not going to be able to do a lot of excursions and just have a great time on the ship, or, if it's safe, within walking distance of the pier.

We've only been to Nassau, but we were able to have a lovely time using the water taxi service with our boys. I'd stick to this type of transportation unless you have a stroller that can accept the car seat while you are walking around.

I will use taxis or hired cars in port if we are going to have the car all day (e.g. Roatan) or I know the taxis wait for you at the destination. Otherwise I would find a spot to store the car seats (e.g. if we're on the beach) so the vehicle isn't tied up for the time we are at our destination.

I think that we will either see Atlantis/Aquaventure by way of getting rooms at the Comfort Suites or buy a day pass for the Sheraton. If we go to Atlantis we will probably go by way of water with a life vest. But just in case we can't do that I was wondering what our land transportation options were. Either way, if we have a car seat, we can find a place for it in our room.

Unfortunately he is going to be too big for his Graco travel system by then. He's pushing the limits now. I'll only be able to use the stroller (which I LOVE).

If you bring bungee cords, you can strap a convertible car seat into many strollers, and use that to transport the seat while you're out and about. I don't know if you babywear, but something like this would allow you or your travel companion to wear the baby while pushing the car seat in the stroller if you're going to be walking any distance. http://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Wrap-Carrier-Black-Blueberries/dp/B0036LMH5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304709864&sr=8-1 (there are more expensive carriers, but if you don't use one regularly, it may not be worth the cost to you).

You might want to consider something like the Go Go Kidz travelmate:

ic_mom_sm.jpg

It turns your rf/ff car seat into a stroller, yet folds down when not in use. I have to say if I'd seen this when DS2 was 2yrs I would have bought it! Apparently they are often on kijiji and Craigslist etc which is another option. That way you don't have to bungee cord the car seat to the stroller, and you know the child is safe.

I think that we will either see Atlantis/Aquaventure by way of getting rooms at the Comfort Suites or buy a day pass for the Sheraton. If we go to Atlantis we will probably go by way of water with a life vest. But just in case we can't do that I was wondering what our land transportation options were. Either way, if we have a car seat, we can find a place for it in our room.

Unfortunately he is going to be too big for his Graco travel system by then. He's pushing the limits now. I'll only be able to use the stroller (which I LOVE).

Archived