St John's NL car rental or private tour?

We'll be in St John's in Sept on our TA. We'd like to go to Cape Spear & Signal Hill at the very least. We're thinking we'd like to rent a car, but I can't find any rental agencies with an office/location in the downtown/port area.

A couple of questions...

1. Is there a rental company that has a downtown location (walkable from the pier)

2. Would we just be better to hire a driver for the day? If so, are there drivers available at the dock or can we negotiate a reasonable "daily rate" with a taxi?

Thanks!

The only rental car place I can find in Downtown St. John's is Hertz. I believe the location is close to the port. Enterprise has locations in St. John's and I'm sure they would pick you up at the dock.

Alternatively you can rent do a taxi tour of the city. They offer a rate of around $40 for 3 hours.

• 1 month later...
We'll be in St John's in Sept on our TA. We'd like to go to Cape Spear & Signal Hill at the very least. We're thinking we'd like to rent a car, but I can't find any rental agencies with an office/location in the downtown/port area.

A couple of questions...

1. Is there a rental company that has a downtown location (walkable from the pier)

2. Would we just be better to hire a driver for the day? If so, are there drivers available at the dock or can we negotiate a reasonable "daily rate" with a taxi?

Thanks!

There are always lots of taxis at the dock and it would probably be the best option. Signal Hill is not far at all and if you have time you could cab it to the top and walk down the trail and out through the Battery to the ship. I'm guessing the walk would be about and hour but it takes you on a very scenic walk through the "narrows", the entrence to the harbour and the reason the city is here, and the Battery which was a fishing village until the 70s right attached to the city. Houses are jammed onto the cliffs...

There is an informative museum half way up the hill which explains the history of the city fairly quickly so you might start there, stroll to the top and then down the other side of the hill as described.

You could then hop a cab to Cape Spear (about 1/2 hr ride from the ship) to see the eastern edge of the continent...don't try to dip your toe though....people really have been swept off...and not just on stormy days either.

There are lots of cute shops and good resteraunts right on Water and Duckworth St just above the pier.

You might check out The Rooms too...gallery, museum and archives all rolled into one. Amazing views.

If you have any other quesions, just let me know.

Miss Molly

Archived