Belize Flea Market

kimberlys

It's right outside the cruise terminal on Fort Street (Fort Street runs right behind the terminal). We walked out of the gates, took a left, and it was right down the street on the right.

There are some great bargains there. A friend paid $15 for a bracelet we saw inside the terminal for $48. I got an adorable wind chime for just $5. They had a lot of neat stuff that you couldn't find in the terminal, either, if you're looking for some potentially unique finds.

The downside is the vendors. They're very pushy, and will follow you down the street. They can be pretty intimidating, but if you ignore them, they'll leave you alone eventually. They didn't really bother me, but some others in our group were a little freaked out by the experience. I'd love to go back in April, but I won't have time. I would only go in a group, though.

There is a shopping area inside the terminal, one outside the terminal but inside the fence and also outside the fence along the road. That one is the cheapest. We got a great deal at the flea market along the road. 5 fleas for $3. Sorry couldn't resist that.

The best prices are along the road. Lots of carved wood items and shell things.

We also noticed a large number of counterfeit products available-in particular, name brand sunglasses. Some of them were so bad they spelled the name of the original company wrong.

-Monte

We also noticed a large number of counterfeit products available-in particular, name brand sunglasses. Some of them were so bad they spelled the name of the original company wrong.

-Monte

You found these at the Flea Market or inside the Tourism Village? Or did you see this stuff at one of the street vendors "carts" across the street from the flea market (same side of Fort Street as the Tourism Village) I've been to the flea market twice and don't remember seeing any sunglasses there.

LES!

You found these at the Flea Market or inside the Tourism Village? Or did you see this stuff at one of the street vendors "carts" across the street from the flea market (same side of Fort Street as the Tourism Village) I've been to the flea market twice and don't remember seeing any sunglasses there.

LES!

As you get off the tender, the fakes were in the area to the left, but inside the security fence. I guess, technically inside the tourism village, but these were outside, mostly tent/awning type booth. Lots of booths/tables set up with people selling their "wares" (mostly tees, carving, artwork). I was sort of disappointed that fakes were being sold at the village.

-Monte

As you get off the tender, the fakes were in the area to the left, but inside the security fence. I guess, technically inside the tourism village, but these were outside, mostly tent/awning type booth. Lots of booths/tables set up with people selling their "wares" (mostly tees, carving, artwork). I was sort of disappointed that fakes were being sold at the village.

-Monte

Oh, ok. Yeah that's inside the Tourism Village. The shopping's ok there, but I prefer going out back and across Fort street to the locals. They aren't haveing to pay the Tourism Village high rentals so they're easiier to bargain with.

I do tend to spend about equal amounts of money inside the village as at the flea market. There are some interesting things in the village, but the people themselves are more interesting outside. Inside the village, they're catering to mainly Americans. Outside, they cater to Americans, but locals can also shop there. So it's less regulated as far as prices go.

If you're ever at the Tourism Village again, I suggest trying some Chips and Salsa at The Wet Lizard. I loved it, but it could have something to do with the company. :D The Wet Lizard is also a nice photo op for a mostly unobstructed slightly raised view of the ships anchored that day.

LES!

The Mayan ruins are cool.

-Monte

I've yet to do any of the Mayan Sites in Belize. In fact, my third trip in about 2 weeks will be the first time I ventured out of the city. We're going to Caye Caulker, the stingray/shark alley and the Coral garden area to snorkel.

I dream of someday moving to Belize to open my own orphanage.

Which of the sites did you visit? Xunantunich looks beautiful, and the view looks amazing. Can't wait to see it for myself.

LES!

Awww, you're too sweet, Les. :o

I'm worried I won't have time for chips and salsa this time around. I HAVE to go get my purse. :D

I probably won't have time either. If I have the time, I need to get outside to the flea market and get some more belikin glasses (to pay for my December cruise lol) and maybe get that bowl set for Leslie.

I also need a couple things inside the Tourism Village. A dress for Alegra and 1 for Kris and I want some more valium (to help me make it to my next cruise lol)

LES!

OMG, you can buy valium there? OK so call me sheltered.....;)

Had it not been for the pharmacy, I would have died in December. I had some serious asthma (or bronchitis) issues and couldn't breath. The ship didn't have any primatine mist or anything similar. So my first stop in Belize was the pharmacy to get an albuterol inhaler. The valium was 2/$1, and I'm sure other medications were just as affordable.

LES!

Archived