Norwegian Epic - unhappy with disabled policy

Emmaizzy

Hello everyone

Have booked our first ever cruise! We chose the Epic for lots of reasons and really looking forward to it, we are departing from Barcelona on 21 August.

Have been reading with interest the posts on here. Is there anyone who can answer these questions:

Has anyone ever dealt with the Guest Relations at NCL UK? I had quite a hard time with the reservations team over a special request we had due to my son's disability. They were very dismissive and I wonder whether they are not able to make decisions about onboard access and whether it would be best to leave it until we board? Or should I take it up before I go to ease my worries?

Specifically my query is that we are travelling on our first cruise with my son and daughter and staying the courtyard villas 2 Bed. My son disability needs 1:1 support 24 hours a day. We have a support worker who comes to our home and also travels with us to help and also give us parents a break!

We were unable to afford to purchase a single occupancy room on the CY villa decks for the support worker and by law we have to provide him with his own room and therefore he cannot share with us. Although NCL reservations said that he would be able to come to the cabin they would not allow him to support our son in any of the other areas.

This seems a bit unreasonable. I can of course get a doctors letter to support our request but not sure this would help.

The UK Equality Act 2010 says that services providers must make reasonable adaptations to their service/premises to allow disabled people to use them. Without support my son cannot do anything as he is both blind and physically disabled.

Having read about the butler review for suite 16012 (our booked suite) I am very concerned.

Help!

Emma

x

Emma - I doubt that I can offer much assistance, just some clarification and an idea. First of all, your “support worker”. Is that person willing to be a “traveling companion”? If so, that person (a traveling companion) would be allowed to share the same cabin providing there is space available.

It is true that services providers must make reasonable adaptations to their service/premises to allow disabled people to use them, however on board ships there are limitations because of safety for all passengers. There will be many things that your son can do, likewise there will probably be many things that he cannot do.

If there is something in specific that your son would like to do, may I suggest that you write to NCL and ask what is required for him to be able to that. I have found that NCL is very good at responding and if they are allowed to evaluate the situation, they can offer assistance.

Betty

Archived