Jungle Buggy and Mayan cave tour Belize

lovetofish

We are stopping at Belize on a RCCL cruise. We are interested in the Jungle Buggy and Mayan Cave exploration tour. It has a min age of 6, and does not mention back problems as a concern (which is good for our group), and it sounds like fun. Has anyone done this trip? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

We did this tour in March with RCCL. The tour guides were extremely informative and upbeat, but that is a good thing because we had a l-o-n-g bus ride, including 30 minutes of a "free rear end massage" as we rode across a packed dirt and gravel road. Our tour included military retirees and young couples with children. We were there during the "dry" season so there was no "riding through deep mud and water" or whatever the brochure stated was possible and we only saw one animal, a baby gator in a water hole that hadn't yet dried up. That diminished some of the thrill. The cave was about a five minute hike from the jungle buggy stop. It was uphill over a few rocky areas, but not very strenuous. If you take this tour, don't stop at the first room of the cave; find someone with a light on their helmet and go into the 2nd and maybe 3rd room back to see how the people really lived. Because of the dry season, we didn't need bug spray. I don't think we would do the tour again unless it was a wet season. Hope this helps.

LADYBUG in VA

Do you know when the rainy season is? We are thinking of doing this tour June 21st.

The dry season is Nov-May. I must tell you that no one on our tour complained about the trip. We all enjoyed the "buggy" ride. A good explanation of the actual buggy is that it was like riding in the upper level of a double decker bus, but in the open air. It was fun to "dodge" the palm tree branches and created a "family" atmosphere. The hard part was the long ride back. I think all of us, including the tour guide, started to fall asleep due to the bumpy road. After the bumpy road ended and we hit a paved road, the tour guide perked right up and did a fantastic job of pointing out the sights and even making us laugh. Sit near the front of the bus. You'll enjoy it more. Have fun!!!

Hi ladybug;

Thanks so much for your positive comments on this trip Since it was the dry season I guess the insects weren't much of a problem. I worry about mosquitos since I seem to be a mosquito magnet. Nevertheless I think we will do this excursion. Do you have any info about the shopping in the cruise terminal? Are these shops simply filled with cheap souvenirs or can you find some local handmade craft items? Anyone have any info on this?

We were lucky to have about 90 min. after our tour to shop. The bus dropped us off at one end of the cruise terminal. It was convenient because it enabled us to go from shop to shop outside while a band played in the courtyard. As this was our last port, we were looking for less expensive silver pendants and necklaces for our daughter and other less expensive gifts for friends. We found everything we wanted at pretty good prices. We stopped by the pier to find out what time the next water taxi would leave and caught it just in time. By the way, we found a silver shop on the opposite side of the cruise terminal as our drop off point that had about 4-5 huge tables full of silver pendants at very reasonable prices. In each shop, I used the "3 change purses" idea that I posted about somewhere on the First Timers board. I had $5 in one, $25 in one, and $50 in the third. When I found 4 pendants for $80, I talked the shopkeeper down to $60 and then showed him that I only had $50 cash and he agreed to the $50. By the way, in this shopping area, a lot of cruisers found knockoff LV and Coach bags.

On another subject, the rumor on the ship was that Belize would be too scary and some didn't even leave the ship due to fear. I feel sorry for them because they didn't take this wonderful opportunity to learn about another culture. In Belize, you see how simply the people live and this tour, if you sit near the front of the bus so that you can hear the guide, will enable the travellers with you to appreciate their lifestyle more. It was very eye opening and sobering. It made it a little bit easier to fork over the $50 to a shopkeeper even though you know they paid probably $20 US for the items you bought. I just realized that this still sounds like I'm "cheap" because I bargained down for a good price. Oh well.... I hope you enjoy yourselves!

As to craft items, there weren't many in the terminal area. You'd have to go out of the more secure area into the market. I didn't speak to anyone who had ventured that far. Maybe someone else has posted about whether or not they felt safe in the market area. I'm sure that the prices were cheaper there.

Archived