RCI versus the rest for Repositioning

Hi folks....

As a new cruiser with only one cruise (the Allure) under my belt, I have just caught wind of repositioning cruises and I'm intrigued.

For those of you who are long time cruisers, how do other cruise lines compare to Royal? If not RCI, then who?

Should we only be looking at the Royal cruises?

How do the other ships in the Royal line compare as it's the Brilliance and Jewel that will be repositioning next year?

Hope you can help....Don

Hi Don,

You really need to provide more information for people to be able to provide you with assistance on this inquiry. There is no one best cruise line for all people and all circumstances. Whether RCI or another line will be best for you depends on what you are seeking in a cruise and also your budget. What did you like about your one RCI cruise so far? What did you not like about or wish RCI offered that was not available? Did you feel you felt in with the other passengers? If you say more about what types of things you like and do not like on a cruise people can help advise if RCI is best or perhaps another line.

There are many different cruise lines, ranging from somewhat different to very different from RCI and ranging from about the same price to a little cheaper to much more expensive.

Also as an FYI, several RCI ships are doing repositioning cruises, not just Brilliance and Jewel. If you search for Transatlantics you will see lots of other options for repositioning cruises. These tend to be priced very favorably compared to round trip cruises, but have lots of sea days (can be good or bad depending on what you think about sea days).

Hi Don,

You really need to provide more information for people to be able to provide you with assistance on this inquiry. There is no one best cruise line for all people and all circumstances. Whether RCI or another line will be best for you depends on what you are seeking in a cruise and also your budget. What did you like about your one RCI cruise so far? What did you not like about or wish RCI offered that was not available? Did you feel you felt in with the other passengers? If you say more about what types of things you like and do not like on a cruise people can help advise if RCI is best or perhaps another line.

There are many different cruise lines, ranging from somewhat different to very different from RCI and ranging from about the same price to a little cheaper to much more expensive.

Also as an FYI, several RCI ships are doing repositioning cruises, not just Brilliance and Jewel. If you search for Transatlantics you will see lots of other options for repositioning cruises. These tend to be priced very favorably compared to round trip cruises, but have lots of sea days (can be good or bad depending on what you think about sea days).

Sorry for the lack of info...

As a new cruiser and certainly starting off with the Allure, the WOW factor was off the charts last week. We are in our mid 50's and enjoy quiet time together but are not afraid of making new friends and meeting people. That being said, my partying days are well behind me (us) so I'm not looking for one of 'those' cruises.

As far as budget goes, we originally planned another cruise in 2013 to celebrate our 25th anniversary but when we heard about how affordable the repositioning cruises were, I started investigating them so here I am. Both of us are still working with two kids at home and with a mortgage so money is always something we look to save where ever possible. We're not the last of the big time spenders (yet).

The reason we picked RCI was for the Allure. I wanted THAT ship so it wasn't RCI over anyone else, it was the Allure over everyone else.

Rough seas would not be a good thing for my DW but I don't know how bad the seas can get for a Transatlantic cruise. All of our trips to resorts and now this cruise have been to the Caribbean. Living in Ottawa where winters can be long and harsh, my tolerance for cold is getting worse and my desire for warmer weather is increasing.

I don't know how I zeroed in on only the two RCI ships, perhaps fat-fingered clicking led me there. Thanks for the fyi....

Hope this helps a little more and I am always ready to provide more info....

Cheers....Don

Hello DonOtt...Being new to cruising I can offer one bit of advice and that is to stick with one cruise line. If you like Royal Caribbean (I do), then stick with them, join their Crown & Anchor program and accumulate cruise points with every sailing. All cruise lines have these programs and if you stick with one line you will quickly increase your status and gain benefits along the way.

Also, Jewel Of The Seas offers a "repositioning" cruise every fall. This year it is October 29th, next year Octobeer 28th. The cruise is 14 nights and repositions from Boston to Tampa....3 sea days, then Caribbean ports and ending in Tampa. It is a great cruise and many of the same people sail this itinerary year after year. You can check it out on line. Good luck with your future planning...Pat :)

My father is currently on a 13 day transatlantic cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Rome and so far what i've heard from them is that it was "choppy" days 3 & 4 but nothing too bad. Also, it's a much more relaxing cruise since there's so many days between getting on board and your first port and there's nothing 'planned' to do unlike Oasis/Allure where almost every day is planned to some degree. They'll be off the ship Sunday in Italy and home next week so I might be able to give you some more answers once they get cheaper internet access or get home.

And YES the deals are phenomenal for these cruises for the most part - this 2.5 week journey is costing them less than $1600 each!!

As a fellow Canadian I know exactly what you mean about getting the itch to get to the Caribbean once the weather changes... heck I was in FL a week and a half ago and want to go back because of the bad weather we're STILL having!!

Archived