Review -- Grandeur of the Seas 3/5-3/12

jabang

First, a little background before I begin my review of the Granduer of the Seas.

This was a family cruise, myself, my wife, and two children, 16yo son and 13yo daughter. For myself and my wife, this was our 12th cruise (6 CCL, 4 RCI, 1 HAL, 1 X), kids was their fourth (3 CCL), first time on RCI).

About four months ago I was diagnosed with untreatable cancer and because we always loved cruising so much, I wanted to experience it one last time. Because of my treatment schedules, we did have to take the kids out of school for the week, as it was the only time we could fit it in. Also, the formal night police won't be happy with me, as I no longer fit into my tux or suits, so I just went with a pair of slacks, nice shirt and sports coat.

Anyways, about the ship:

Embarkation: Very smooth, efficient and professional. One note about driving in. The directions sent with the tickets said to exit I-10 at Exit 234A, it is actually 234C.

Cabin: We had an ocean view cabin with two uppers. We were pleasantly surprised by the amount of space in the cabin. We knew it would be crowded with four of us, but not unmanagable at all. Our cabin stewards were very good.

Dining: Our main dining rooms experiences were overall good. The waiter and assistant waiter were very accomodating, efficient, and very helpful and friendly. The food itself was good, but the presentation was a bit lacking. The desert choices were fairly slim.

Room Service: My son fell in love with this. We found the menu to be pretty good for room service, and the deliveries were always done fairly quickly.

Ports: We had been to Cozumel and Grand Caymen many times previously, but still enjoyed ourselves. Costa Maya was a new experience. It's obviously still in the developmental stages, but the shops at the pier were varied and we enjoyed looking through them. Took the jungle beach break that was very nice as well.

Kids Activities: Neither of ours participated in any of the kids club activities, they enjoyed staying with my wife and I most of the time, but spent a little time in the arcade.

The Ship: Overall, a very nice ship. It was clean and well maintained. Also, I thought it was well layed out, and easy to find anyplace you wanted to go.

Cruise Director/Activities Staff: First major disappointment. I couldn't tell you the name of the cruise director right now without looking it up. He was bland, what little humor he tried was obviously forced. Onboard activities of any interest to us were few and far between. We did go to a couple of the shows, which I would rate as average.

Debarkation: Again, this went fairly smoothly and quickly as it could for the number of passengers. No problems at all.

Random notes:

--Chair hogs were out in force. The ship would make an announcement, but still, chairs were being saved with no one in them for 4-5 hours at a time.

--Kids, not a lot on board, but the groups I did see seemed to be fairly well-behaved.

--Drunks, not such a good report. Several days there were a few groups that went totally overboard in their drinking and became increasingly obnoxious, to the point of falling out of chairs and making rude comments to anyone that walked by. I hate to say this to the diehard RCI fans, but I've seen this type of behavior much more on RCI cruises than CCL.

--Ben and Jerry's/Seattle's Best Coffee: A bit overpriced, ($4.60 for a small milkshake), but not a major detriment.

--Drink prices: They also seemed to be a bit expensive ($5.50 for a screwdriver), but we're not big drinkers (my wife had a few, none for me) so again, not a big deal to us.

--Passenger demographics: This might be the place I get myself into trouble but I'm going to say it. The ethnic diversity on this cruise was non-existent. I've noticed that before on the RCI cruises I've taken before, but it was never as obvious as this time. Flat out, it was the "whitest" cruise I'ver ever been on. I've heard some other people say they would never cruise with CCL because of the "low-class" passengers, well.....this just sort of made me go "hmmmmmm."

Overall Impressions: This was a fun trip and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was exactly the type of family time that we needed at this point in time.

I would recommend this cruise to anyone without reservations.

First, let me say I am so sorry to hear about your cancer, it must be difficult on you and your family. I am sure you were very happy that you were able to take this cruise and that your wife and children will be able to add this to their wonderful memories book.

The Grandeur is also one of my favorite ships, we have sailed her three times already.

Stay strong and you will be in my prayers.

So glad that you all enjoyed yourselves. Sounds like it was a much deserved vacation and one that will be well remembered beyond all others!

I am in the process of planning a group cruise on this ship for 16. This will be the 9th cruise for my husband and I, but everyone else has never sailed before. I've had a lot of questions the past few weeks and everyone has done a great job of helping me out. The one I've not been able to find an answer to.....

Room Service: during regular meal hours can you order from the full dinner menu?

Thanks.

I've talked with a few of my friends who have been on various RCI ships and the answer still seems ambiguous. Some were able to order anything from the dinner menu, some only limited items.

My husband and I taking our first one in August on Grandeur to Bermuda.

Sorry to hear about the illness. This should server as a reminder to the staff on the ships and the "drunks" being rude. You never know what the story is of the person next to you, treat others with respect.

Archived