Freedom or Explorer?? July 2012

We're trying to decide between the 9 day cruise out of NJ on the Explorer or a 7-day on the Freedom. Any opinions?

We're 29, no kids and we've cruised twice on Princess but this will be our first time on RCI.

Is the extra 2 nights on the Explorer worth the extra cash? How are the seas between NJ & Bermuda?

Thanks!!

Regarding seas, check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1412300

Also - I assume you live in the NY/NJ area based on the fact that you're looking at Explorer. If so, don't forget to factor in all of the costs that flying entails, the hotel room, checked baggage fees, transfers, etc. when comparing prices. When we did that, they came out to be pretty similar in pricing.

Good luck with whatever you pick and I'll be able to provide more info. in August. *we picked Explorer when faced w/ a similar dilemma.

We're trying to decide between the 9 day cruise out of NJ on the Explorer or a 7-day on the Freedom. Any opinions?

We're 29, no kids and we've cruised twice on Princess but this will be our first time on RCI.

Is the extra 2 nights on the Explorer worth the extra cash? How are the seas between NJ & Bermuda?

Thanks!!

No contest in my opinion -- Freedom of the Seas. Newer, better ship with more amenities although I wish it went to Bermuda (beautiful). Freedom class or oasis class are the best ships in RCI's fleet. As for the ports, we enjoyed the Eastern caribbean itinerary (Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Martin). On the other hand, three days in Bermuda is always enticing regardless of the ship.

Here's a link to compare the ships:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/home.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=2&snav=4

You will love RCI!

I would go with Explorer, and in fact we have.

The Freedom class is my favorite class of ship, so you definitely can't go wrong with either choice. But, here is why I'd choose Explorer.

Cost. If you are within driving distance, you save SO much not having to fly. The cost to park at Cape Liberty is $171 for a 9-day cruise. However, there are other options including hotels nearby if you come in the night before will allow you to leave your car there (check out the homeports board for more info). With flying, you have the cost of the flights themselves, parking at the airport and/or car service, and bags. We also to be safe would fly in the night before so there is additional cost of a hotel. Why spend that money flying and for a hotel instead of a ship. When we added this all up, the 9-night was actually less expensive.

Itinerary. Bermuda is a great stop - which would not be included on the Freedom. I also really enjoy sea days and you get 4 of them on the 9-night.

Now, if you're not within driving distance, this whole scenario changes. If you have to fly regardless, I would go with the Freedom. Both ships are great, but Freedom is newer and has a few things that Explorer does not (Chops, glass balconies, Sorrento's).

HTH

I have been on both ships. Since you have no kids...the Explorer because you get 2 extra days.

The biggest difference between the 2 is the flowrider. If the flowrider is important to you, then go with the Freedom. Also, if you are not a big lover of sea days go with the Freedom.

I'd rather do 7 nights on the Freedom than 9 on one of the older Voyager class ships, especially if you are getting a balcony, they are glass and much larger on Freedom. Especially if Freedom is cheaper I would go with the better ship out of Florida...

I have to say Freedom. If they were the same price I might consider Explorer but if Freedom is cheaper I wouldn't. I did a b2b on Voyager last year and it was great but Freedom is a far superior ship to Voyager and Explorer even if it is the same basic layout. They made many nice improvements and think about the fact that Explorer will then be 12 years old. There are many reviews saying shes looking tired. Its just something to think about.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have been looking at the 2 options for next year so am interested in any help you can offer. Either choice will require a flight from the uk for us, so that will not affect the decision. We are a family with 2 kids which will be 14 and 18 next summer.

all help appreciated

Archived