Marsaille - Blue Coast train to calanques

Libbyyell

Are taxis right at the ship or is a shuttle needed to get out of the port itself? If so, we are a group of 4, can four go in one taxi?

Otherwise as you suggested we will likely stay in Marseille. This is the last stop and last day of the cruise, but we've never been in France before and would like to enjoy some of the shoreline as well as seeing Notre Dame if possible.

Thw weather may be iffy in November (though we also get superb sunny days at that time of year -- it's a bit of a gamble). So if I were you, I would go into Marseille and take the little train (a tourist train) from the Old Port up to Notre Dame.

Depending on how much you like walking down hills, you could also visit the beautiful, ancient Saint Victor Abbey, which is lower down the same hill, but fairly close by. More info: http://www.marseille-provence.info/marseille-marseilles/what-to-see-tourist-attractions/140-the-churches-of-marseille.html

If you want to go both up and back on the tourist train, you can get off at Notre Dame, look around at your leisure and take the next train down the hill to the Old Port.

No. The fares vary depending on the journey. The only flat-rate fare is the Pass Bermuda, a special tourist ticket which offers unlimited daily travel at weekends until the end of September for five Euros. http://www.marseille-provence.info/travel-rail-train-air-sea-road-motorways/rail-railways-train-sncf/2-the-beautiful-blue-coast-train-line.html

No. The fares vary depending on the journey. The only flat-rate fare is the Pass Bermuda, a special tourist ticket which offers unlimited daily travel at weekends until the end of September for five Euros. http://www.marseille-provence.info/travel-rail-train-air-sea-road-motorways/rail-railways-train-sncf/2-the-beautiful-blue-coast-train-line.html

Thanks for your response. After I posted my question, I was able to find a site with information on fares for the different segments. We plan to do the train, but might just get off at Niolon and hike a bit.

Yes --- either Niolon or La Redonne is a good starting point for hikes as the scenery is lovely and in both cases the station is close to the village (not so for some of the stops on the line, while are miles from the coast).

The single fare to Niolon from Marseille is 3.5 Euros. But note that two or three trains a day don't stop there (I think they all stop at La Redonne).

I really appreciate this thread. My DH and I are going to be at Marseilles June 28th next year with Carnival and I wasn't for sure what we were going to do. We are in our 30's. We love seeing beautiful scenery, I think that the Blue Coast train is the best fit for us. I was debating about Aix en Provence or Arles but I think that the calanques will be more scenic than the other two places. What do you think?

Thank I would like to take the tourist train and go to Notre Dame in Marseille.

Thank you for your help and assistance.

Steph

In terms of scenery, the Blue Coast is definitely more interesting IMO -- Arles is in flat countryside and, although there are lovely spots around Aix, such as the Montagne Sainte Victoire (of Cezanne fame), you'd really need a car to see them.

Note that the Southern calanques (on the other side of MRS from the Blue Coast) are more dramatic than the Blue Coast ones -- but you'd need to take a boat trip as the train doesn't run there.

• 4 months later...

Hi there

I am wondering if it is possible to go to the Calanques in December by using public transport? I am flying to Marseille next week and will stay there for 4 days or so and would love to see the Calanques. Which Calanque should I go to for a day trip from Marseille? Should I go to the western or southern Calanques. I basicall have the whole day to spend to see the Calanques. Should I also visit Cassis and/or Toulon? I would love to visit a beautiful one that is reachable by public transport and does not involve a lot of hiking if possible. Please let me know. Thanks a lot

Mackenzie

Just picked up your message, so hope this isn't too late. In reply, yes - the train to the western calanques runs all year round. It's a commuter train, not a tourist one, and is used by people living in the towns along to Blue Coast to get to work in Marseille. It even runs on Christmas Day!

The timetable has just changed and there are slightly more trains. It's in the same place on the SNCF site I linked to further up this thread (choose timetable number 7 in the drop-down menu).

There will be boat trips available to the more dramatic south-eastern calanques leaving from the Old Port (these calanques aren't on the train line). You'll see a row of booths there offering trips and can choose between trips of varying lengths. Best to avoid on a day of high wind, though, as it can get a bit hairy!

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is super helpful! I'll be there in August 25th and I'm thinking the blue train up the coast might be our best bet now. We aren't there for to long so we will have to be careful with the time. It's our last day of our cruise so we will probably want something low key and relaxing.

thank you!

We will be visiting Marseilles in August on the first stop of our cruise. I was wondering if you could recommend anything for spending part of the day in the town. We have spent a lot of time in France but have never visited Marseilles. We normally take the petit train to get our bearings and work from there. Would that be a sensible approach here too?

Many thanks,

Pam.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived