Snuba or Snorkle? Want to see reefs!

brazil_nut

This is my first cruise (SO EXCITED) :D. We will be in Cozumel one day. We want to see reefs but are unsure of what to choose. Snuba looks very interesting but I can't tell if it's at a reef where you can actually see stuff or if we need to get on a boat to go to a good reef and just snorkle. I am looking at Eagle Ray Divers or Cozumel Tours by Johann & Sandra. I heard the last one is just a booking agent... Any suggestions are much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brazil Nut,

I looked at your Roll Call post for Ecstasy and didn't see that you were going with a tour operator. My family and I have always taken a taxi to Chankanaab an spent the day (with our own snorkels). My daughter suggested we share a cab (it was $10 each way last May, hopefully still the same). If you are going with a tour, have a blast. I've never tried Snuba, but the water is so gorgeous, I've always been able to have as much adventure as I want with a snorkel or even swim goggles.

Bon Voyage! Three more days!

Peace,

Deborah from Austin

Eagle Ray is a good choice, I'm diving with them in 3 weeks and have used them on every trip to CZM for the past 7 years.

If you book a 2 or 3 reef snorkel with them they will make sure you see plenty of coral, just talk to the guide or tell Chellie (owner) when you book that you want to see some reefs, not just fish. Should be no problem...

Chellie will also tell you what to tell the Taxi driver at the port to get to La Caleta marina. It's not far and only about $10, also be SURE and tell Chellie the CORRECT Time your in port. Some ships stay on "ship time" and some are on port time. This is one of the only things difficult about booking outside the cruise ship...

have fun!

Eagle Ray is a good choice, I'm diving with them in 3 weeks and have used them on every trip to CZM for the past 7 years.

If you book a 2 or 3 reef snorkel with them they will make sure you see plenty of coral, just talk to the guide or tell Chellie (owner) when you book that you want to see some reefs, not just fish. Should be no problem...

Chellie will also tell you what to tell the Taxi driver at the port to get to La Caleta marina. It's not far and only about $10, also be SURE and tell Chellie the CORRECT Time your in port. Some ships stay on "ship time" and some are on port time. This is one of the only things difficult about booking outside the cruise ship...

have fun!

We snorkled with Eagle Ray last Thurs while in Cozumel on the Oasis. Chellie is absolutely wonderful to work with while planning the experience. She is extremely prompt in returning emails. She explained the time difference and was very familiar with the cruise ship schedules. I wouldn't worry about that at all. She is right on top of it.:)

We (me-59, DH-61, DS-25, DS-23, DSG -22) went out with Tony, who I can't say enough about. He is very safety oriented. We went to a few different areas before he was satisfied with the current - he dives in first to check the current at each spot. Both DSs & DH have snorkled many times before, but I had a very bad experience several yrs ago and haven't gone since and was very anxious last week, but determined to give it another try. Tony made it his mission to make it a great experience for me. He stayed right with me in between diving down to show us all the variety of fish. It was an awesome experience for me this time, and I just can't say enough kind things about Tony and Eagle Ray Divers!:D

Eagle Ray's boat was sooo easy to get to from port, and Chellie was waiting for us at their boat. Very organized. We did the 2 reef excursion, and had the boat to ourselves for the first excursion. Then others joined us for the next trip out. Once we finished snorkling at the second reef, the boat dropped us off at an outdoor beach restaurant (the other family stayed onboard to go out again for their second reef). We wanted to get a taxi back at that time and eat in town. Tony left the boat and stayed with us long enough to not only make sure we got a van taxi, but didn't leave us until we were in it! Suberb company with service oriented, friendly staff! Will contact them again in a heartbeat next time we return.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

We snorkled with Eagle Ray last Thurs while in Cozumel on the Oasis. Chellie is absolutely wonderful to work with while planning the experience. She is extremely prompt in returning emails. She explained the time difference and was very familiar with the cruise ship schedules. I wouldn't worry about that at all. She is right on top of it.:)

We (me-59, DH-61, DS-25, DS-23, DSG -22) went out with Tony, who I can't say enough about. He is very safety oriented. We went to a few different areas before he was satisfied with the current - he dives in first to check the current at each spot. Both DSs & DH have snorkled many times before, but I had a very bad experience several yrs ago and haven't gone since and was very anxious last week, but determined to give it another try. Tony made it his mission to make it a great experience for me. He stayed right with me in between diving down to show us all the variety of fish. It was an awesome experience for me this time, and I just can't say enough kind things about Tony and Eagle Ray Divers!:D

Eagle Ray's boat was sooo easy to get to from port, and Chellie was waiting for us at their boat. Very organized. We did the 2 reef excursion, and had the boat to ourselves for the first excursion. Then others joined us for the next trip out. Once we finished snorkling at the second reef, the boat dropped us off at an outdoor beach restaurant (the other family stayed onboard to go out again for their second reef). We wanted to get a taxi back at that time and eat in town. Tony left the boat and stayed with us long enough to not only make sure we got a van taxi, but didn't leave us until we were in it! Suberb company with service oriented, friendly staff! Will contact them again in a heartbeat next time we return.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

I've used Dahlia Divers at Playa Palancar the last 2 trips, but our next trip we'll have a large mix of folks, some of whom will want to go straight to a "beach club" type of place. What was the name of the beach place that Eagle Ray dropped you?

I've used Dahlia Divers at Playa Palancar the last 2 trips, but our next trip we'll have a large mix of folks, some of whom will want to go straight to a "beach club" type of place. What was the name of the beach place that Eagle Ray dropped you?

Sorry, but I don't know for sure. Think maybe it was the Money Bar, from photos I've seen, and I've read on these boards that that is where they go for lunch on their 3 reef snorkle excursion. It wasn't important to us, as we were catching a cab to get lunch in town. Wish I could be of more help.

Sorry, but I don't know for sure. Think maybe it was the Money Bar, from photos I've seen, and I've read on these boards that that is where they go for lunch on their 3 reef snorkle excursion. It wasn't important to us, as we were catching a cab to get lunch in town. Wish I could be of more help.

If it was Dzul Ha (Money Bar) there wouldn't be any sandy beach, just iron shore. Our large group will include a toddler and I was looking for an easy way to split and re-group later. Palancar's beach has been a little gravelly(sp?) our last few visits, but there were a few smoother spots. Thanks for replying.

Archived