My Photo Trip Review of the 4-30-11 Sailing of the Dream and our Vacation

TeknikDC2

Day6Belize159.jpg

Day6Belize160.jpg

Day6Belize161.jpg

With the photos taken we figured it was time to call it a night. Kiera decided to run back to the cabin while I took my time and because of that she had to wait it out lol. Unlike the last few days we wouldn't get to sleep in tomorrow. We are suppose to be in Roatan. And we actually have an excursion booked for this Island. We were batting pretty good so far with our Do-Over cruise having already made it to 2 of the 3 ports we missed on the Legend. However the Dream is known for missing Roatan on a regular basis. Would we make it to all the ports we missed. Would the Dream be able to dock in Roatan dispite the bad wind we have this evening. Check back for my next update to find out.

Day6Belize165.jpg

And that concludes this update. Thanks again everyone.

Loooove your review!!! Congrats on wife's pregnancy! She looks great!

Cruises

12/30/2011 Carnival Inspiration Mexican Riviera

08/14/2011 Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera

12/29/2010 Princess Sapphire Mexican Riviera

08/29/2010 Princess Emerald West Caribbean

03/27/2010 Carnival Spirit Mexican Riviera

12/31/2009 Carnival Elation Mexican Riviera

08/29/2009 Carnival Liberty East Caribbean

08/29/2008 RCC Monarch of the Seas Mexican Riviera

01/26/2000 Carnival Mexican Riviera

Day1TraveltoFlorida8.jpg

The flight into albuquerque from salt lake is pretty short. The flight only took around an hour and a half. It worked out perfect as we were starting to get hungry. With the plane on the ground we unboarded and the search was on for food.

Day1TraveltoFlorida11.jpg

Day1TraveltoFlorida15.jpg

Day1TraveltoFlorida16.jpg

We soon found the Food Court and I decided to get Panda Express while Kiera got a Burrito from a Mexican Grill. We have a little tradition where we will get a Strawberry and Creame Frappichino from Starbucks wherever we layover at on our flights. However to our suprise there was no Starbucks to be found ANYWHERE in the terminal. We were shocked. I mean even Utah has Starbucks in our airport. Oh well. We figured we would just get it on our way home.

We made our way to our next gate where we would soon be boarding our connecting flight to Orlando only to find another suprise. High School kids. Lots of them. Everywhere. Seriously enough that they probably made up half of our flight. They were from a local high school heading to Orlando for the World Championship DECA competition or something like that. And judging by there shirts with some Harry Potter quotes to my jealousy it sounded like they would be paying a visit to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter while they were there. Oh well I already made my visit. I had Disney to look forward to anyways.

Day1TraveltoFlorida18.jpg

The flight was soon boarding and we found ourselves waiting in line amoungst all the High School kids. Funny enough the High School kids were subjected to random ID checks by TSA agents. I found it even funnier when a TSA agent asked to see my ID assuming I was high school kid part of the group. I just laughed. I guess I should consider that a complement.

We found our seats very far forward in the cabin which would be very nice for when the ship landed. It was also nice being at the opposite end of the Plane from all the High School kids. The flight to Orlando would take around 3 1/2 hours so Kiera and I watched the movie Juno on the netbook to kill the time. I gotta say the flight attendant staff on this flight were incredible. By far the best flight staff I've ever flown with. They were so helpful and to make it better they were Very, Very funny.

This Flight Staff even did what I considerd one of the greatest things we got to be a part of on our trip. There was a small child celebrating his Birthday on this flight. To celebrate the Flight attendant made him a birthday crown out of peanuts and cocktail swords. She also made him a birthday "cake" out the swords and a roll of toilet paper. She had the young boy come to the front of the plan where the cabin lights were dimmed and we all sang happy birthday dinging the flight attendant buttons as the kid walked back to his seat. It was so awesome. I have never experianced something so cool and sweet while traveling on a Plane. It was such a neat experiance that i'm sure the kid will never forget.

Day1TraveltoFlorida19.jpg

I see my office right there.... Go Lobos!

Great review so far and congratulations on your upcoming addition!

I love these detailed CC photo reviews, you see so many sides of a cruise beyond the publicity shots on a cruise line's website.

We loaded on the Tender and we were soon on our way back to the Dream. What started out at the sunny calm port area slowly turned more and more yucky. The weather got worse the furter away from shore we would get. The waves got ruffer and then the rain started. This prompted the workers to quickly try to close off all the windows as we were all starting to get wet with the rain blowing into the boat. There was a little girl that looked about 2 though that seemed to love the rain blowing in as she kept laughing each time the rain would blow in and she would try to eat it. It was so cute to watch her.

Day6Belize46.jpg

Day6Belize47.jpg

Day6Belize49.jpg

Day6Belize50.jpg

Day6Belize51.jpg

Day6Belize53.jpg

TeknikDC2 _ We are thoroughly enjoying your excellent review of the Apr 30 sailing of the Dream. We were on the Dream with you and Kiera and were almost on the same tender ride in Belize as you folks. In fact, we were ON THE TOP DECK of the tender next to the tender that you used for the trip back to the Dream. We really took a beating from the wind and rain as our captain headed "full steam" towards the ship (unlike your captain who apparently slowed down a bit in the storm.)

We had just witnessed a funnel cloud to the right of the Dream as we were about ready to leave the pier for the ship. In one of your many great photos, one can see the funnel cloud. Did you see the "funnel" at the time you snapped the photo? Everyone on the top deck with us was talking about the black skies over the ship and the funnel cloud (which I thought was a water spout like many I have seen on Lake Erie over the years.) I did not get a pic of the "funnel" and was happy to see that you did.

Let me say that you were lucky that you were under cover during the storm and not on a top, open deck with us. We were quite concerned about our safety during the ride knowing that a water spout/funnel cloud was in the vicinity of the ship and the ship was not visible because of the intensity of the storm and we were headed straight into that storm. If, by chance, you have ever been on water skiis behind a boat at about 25 mph during a heavy rain, you can imagine the pain we were sufferring.

Incidentally, my wife and I are in two of your pics taken in the Belize shopping area. We celebrated our 47 wedding anniversary on that very day and then totally enjoyed the Chef's Table later in the evening. A great cruise overall!!

By the way, congrats on your "soon to be" family of three. Get ready, your life is about to change (in a good way)!!

Looking forward to reading about the remainder of our cruise "through the eyes" of others. Wish I had your skill and expertise in writing a review for a week long cruise. As many other have stated, you do a great job!!

We had just witnessed a funnel cloud to the right of the Dream as we were about ready to leave the pier for the ship. In one of your many great photos, one can see the funnel cloud. Did you see the "funnel" at the time you snapped the photo? Everyone on the top deck with us was talking about the black skies over the ship and the funnel cloud (which I thought was a water spout like many I have seen on Lake Erie over the years.) I did not get a pic of the "funnel" and was happy to see that you did.

Let me say that you were lucky that you were under cover during the storm and not on a top, open deck with us. We were quite concerned about our safety during the ride knowing that a water spout/funnel cloud was in the vicinity of the ship and the ship was not visible because of the intensity of the storm and we were headed straight into that storm. If, by chance, you have ever been on water skiis behind a boat at about 25 mph during a heavy rain, you can imagine the pain we were sufferring.

I totally forgot about mentioning the water spout in my review. Yes we did see it while waiting to board the tender. Thats why I quickly took the picture because it soon dissapeared shortly after. I actually saw your other thread and was coming here to copy the picture I took of it to post there. I didn't realize it was on the same trip. I remember watching that double decker tender leave and feeling really bad for everyone on the top deck. We felt so bad that there was nowhere for you guys to really go as that rain got nasty and storm got nasty making for an interesting ride back to the ship.

Your review is AWESOME! So glad you enjoyed your cruise on the Dream. First, congratulations on your future cruiser and HP nerd. Speaking of HP,your review just got 100X better since you are a huge HP nerd like me. I went to the midnight premeire for the the Deathly Hallows Part 1 on a school night. Soooo worth it! Anyways, i digress... I do disagree with you on one point though. A year ago I went to Belize on the Valor and LOVED Belize. We went on a tour though to ruins, so that is probably the difference. The port area is definitely,sketchy. I can't wait to read more and see if you made Roatan. We almost missed Costa Maya on the Epic last month. The tension is building!!!!

P.S.-I know some people don't like post cruise adventures, but I loved reading about your time at Epcot. I can't wait to read your Legend review of HP Land. Keep up the great review!!!!!

I see my office right there.... Go Lobos!

Awe competition lol. I'm a huge BYU fan so i've enjoyed many years watching the Cougars and Lobos go at it. Still kinda sad to see BYU leaving the Mountain West this year.

I'm loving your review. Tell me, do you take notes everyday. I would love to write a detailed review sometime, but I always forget the details. Yours are fantastic. Keep on going……..

To tell you the truth I don't take any notes during our trips. I'm not organized enough to do that. I'm one who instead believes that a picture says 1000 words. My camera Never leaves my side. My wife and friends joke about how many photos I take but thats what helps me remember the trip most and helps spark the memories of what we did. This trip I took over 2,500 photos total. The photos in my opinion are what helps the story. They complement the writting. And without them I wouldn't know what to write about. I really don't know what I would have done in the days prior to Digital. So thats my advice for remembering. Take tons of photos.

Oh the suspense is KILLING me!!! :) Can't wait to see if you made it to Roatan- I'm so nervous about missing that port on our upcoming cruise cause it's my fav!

At least you don't have too long that you have to wait. I really am planning on having that days recap posted tomorrow.

Great review so far and congratulations on your upcoming addition!

I love these detailed CC photo reviews, you see so many sides of a cruise beyond the publicity shots on a cruise line's website.

Thats very true. I actually love looking at all photo filled reviews of any ship. Even if I don't have a cruise planned or even if I never plan to sail on that ship. I'm one who loves reading and looking at others pictures. I think I may be the only person who enjoys looking at friends photos when they got home from there vacations lol.

By the way, congrats on your "soon to be" family of three. Get ready, your life is about to change (in a good way)!!

Looking forward to reading about the remainder of our cruise "through the eyes" of others. Wish I had your skill and expertise in writing a review for a week long cruise. As many other have stated, you do a great job!!

Congrates on the Anniversery. We hope to be in your shoes 44 years from now lol. We are so excited to start our little family and the changes it will bring. As for the review its just something you have to jump in to and do. One thing I try to keep in mind while writting is that I'm writting it mainly for me and my future families records. I find it easier to write it that way. Then it just seems to translate perfectly over that others can enjoy it as well. Trust me i've come a long way in my writting.

This was the first Trip Review that I ever wrote. It covered our wekek in Southern California visiting Disneyland and such back in 2008. Although my recaps still follow a similar format my writting skills seem to have gotten much better 5 reviews later. I laugh to myself sometimes when I look back and read this:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2071198

Your review is AWESOME! So glad you enjoyed your cruise on the Dream. First, congratulations on your future cruiser and HP nerd. Speaking of HP,your review just got 100X better since you are a huge HP nerd like me. I went to the midnight premeire for the the Deathly Hallows Part 1 on a school night. Soooo worth it! Anyways, i digress... I do disagree with you on one point though. A year ago I went to Belize on the Valor and LOVED Belize. We went on a tour though to ruins, so that is probably the difference. The port area is definitely,sketchy. I can't wait to read more and see if you made Roatan. We almost missed Costa Maya on the Epic last month. The tension is building!!!!

P.S.-I know some people don't like post cruise adventures, but I loved reading about your time at Epcot. I can't wait to read your Legend review of HP Land. Keep up the great review!!!!!

Awe you snuck your comment in as I was replying to the others. Yes I'm a big Harry Potter geek. I too went to the Midnight Showing of Deathly Hallows Part 1 and I had to work at 6am that next morning. Needless to say I pulled an all nighter (not as easy as it was when I was 21) and I plan to do the same for when Deathly Hallows Part 2 when it comes out in July. I took the my wand that I bought at the Wizarding World to the premier and one of the workers even commented that it was the coolest looking wand they had seen all night. If you havn't had a chance to go to the Wizarding World yet then you should try and go. Its amazing how emmersive the Wizarding World really is not to mention that it has possibly the greatest ride ever built with the Forbidden Journey. What I would give to be able to have a cold Butterbeer right now.

As for Belize like I said I didn't hate it. It just happened to be our least favorite port on this cruise. And thats 100% because we didn't have anything planned here. Out of our 4 cruises its the only least liked port that I would love to give a second chance to because I wanna get out of Belize city and actually experiance the countryside and Rain Forest. Someday we will make it back there.

Jeff and Kiera, I'm so glad to see another review from you and that you're expecting a little boy! Congratulations!!!!! I love reading you're reviews! Jeff, I have a few questions, particularly about Kiera's pregnancy....which I know varies from woman to woman. Did she get sea-sick? Worried about any of the food? If you would like, you can email me at kdcrenshaw2005 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks!!! I am loving your review! No sprinkles or ice cream toppings this time?

Awe competition lol. I'm a huge BYU fan so i've enjoyed many years watching the Cougars and Lobos go at it. Still kinda sad to see BYU leaving the Mountain West this year.

I agree 100%. Im a huge lobo basketball fan and will really miss the rivalry. Nothing like a bYu UNM game to get my blood flowin!

Jeff and Kiera, I'm so glad to see another review from you and that you're expecting a little boy! Congratulations!!!!! I love reading you're reviews! Jeff, I have a few questions, particularly about Kiera's pregnancy....which I know varies from woman to woman. Did she get sea-sick? Worried about any of the food? If you would like, you can email me at kdcrenshaw2005 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks!!! I am loving your review! No sprinkles or ice cream toppings this time?

Kiera actually never got sea sick on the cruise. There were a few nights where she just got really worn out so we spent alot of time in the cabin letting her rest but that was about it. She knew before hand what foods she would be able to handle and which ones she couldn't. If she foudns something she couldn't handle she wouldn't eat anymore of it. She also tried not to eat too large of portions. She also checked with her doctor about what pills she could take just in case. I'm glad that she did ok on the cruise because she had a very ruff 1st trimester with the morning sickness. That ended only 2 weeks before we sailed. We were getting worried there lol.

And yes no toppings this time (although we did take them). I found cones to be more convienient for me and we never seemed to go back to our room right away when we would get ice cream.

I agree 100%. Im a huge lobo basketball fan and will really miss the rivalry. Nothing like a bYu UNM game to get my blood flowin!

Yeah the whole Moutain West got a good shake up last year. Boise State announcing they were coming, then Utah announcing they were leaving to the Pac10, then Fresno and Nevada announcing they were coming and and lastly BYU announcing they were leaving to be Indepentant (and WAC for all other sports). What a year. This upcoming year will be very interesting for all the schools involved in this mashup.

But what a season for New Mexico. Not just being the Underdogs when they played the very good Cougars but actually beating them not once buy twice last basketball season. What turned out to be some very sad nights for me probably were one of the greatest nights for New Mexico fans.

I have a question about your food photos;

Did you take the pictures immediately after the food was delivered?

Thanks!

I tried to. Some nights I forgot to right away though but I didn't feel like the food was distroyed enough where you wouldn't get the idea about what it was. Other nights I just flat out forgot to take photos of some items. But yes. The majority of the items I took photos of were taken right after the server put them down in front of us.

Day 7: Roatan

This day started differently then our past few days. Unlike the days before where we got to sleep in we had to be up early today to meet up for our excursion we had planned. Of course though I had to make sure we made it into Roatan as the Dream is known for not making it into this port pretty regularly. I was quite releaved when I turned on the TV and jumped to one of the Ships Camera channels. I saw land and the Ship wasn’t moving. We made it. We were in Roatan. We made it to all 3 ports we missed on our previous cruise.

We got ready and got all our stuff gathered together that we would need for the day and headed up stairs to grab a quick breakfast before leaving the ship for the day. We had to meet up early for our excursion. We decided to do here the Exact same thing we were planning on doing during our Legend cruise. That is spend the day at the West Bay Beach.

Before we knew it we were off the ship and walking thru the beautiful Mahogony Bay cruise terminal that Carnival built not too long ago. However we didn’t have a whole lot of time to check anything out right now because we had to meet our driver to go to the beach. One thing about Carnival owning Mahogony Bay is they do not let any independent tour guides onto the property to pick up guests. So you have to walk down the street and meet them outside the Terminal property. There is a fairly large hill you have to climb to exit the property so keep that in mind when booking your excursions with a private tour guide here.

Day7Roatan1.jpg

Day7Roatan2.jpg

Day7Roatan3.jpg

One our Legend cruise we booked our Beach day directly with Bananarama. However we changed it to Island Marketing on this trip. It was only a couple bucks more thru Island Marketing and based on this quote from there website:

“Our beach break offers transportation from the Cruise Terminal and from there it is a beautiful 15 minute drive across mountainous jungle with stunning panoramic views to West Bay and the rest of the island. Your driver will stop at the highest point for photographs and sightseeing before the winding descent to West Bay.”

I assumed we would get somewhat of a tour of the island while being driven to West Bay. I especially liked how they said we would stop and take photos at the highest point. Well Island Marketing turned out to be much different then past companys we’ve taken tours with. First they didn’t have busses or big vans like we were use to. Instead our driver drove her own personal vehicle to take us to the beach. So it was only us and one other couple in the vehicle.

Day7Roatan4.jpg

Day7Roatan5.jpg

Day7Roatan8.jpg

Day7Roatan9.jpg

Day7Roatan10.jpg

The Island of Roatan is very pretty. It reminded me a lot of St. Thomas and I absolutely loved the scenery. It was hands down not just the prettiest location we went to on this Cruise but one of the most prettiest places we’ve ever been. The drive took us thru the Capital City of Coxen Hole which didn’t seem much like a major city. Just as with most of the Caribbean Islands there is much poverty in Roatan and that was very evident while driving thru Coxen Hole. Although the poverty is bad I never felt unsafe here and it wasn’t near as bad as some of the other Islands we’ve visited in the past. As we drove past the other Cruise Port we saw that one of the Norwegian ships was docked this day as well.

Day7Roatan12.jpg

Day7Roatan14.jpg

Day7Roatan16.jpg

Day7Roatan18.jpg

Archived