New Orleans - Voyager of the Seas

Cruiselady3

JNV - you are lucking out as far as where you are staying in NOLA. The Hilton Riverside is home to one of the very best resturants in New Orleans - Drago's. So, plan on taking your mom there for dinner - the char broiled oysters are to die for (if I remember correctly, Drago's is the one that started the char broiled oyster craze (the Drago's in Fat City). Yes, it is safe to walk from the Hilton to the Quarter (you are really only a block away); there is also pedicabs now if you want for when you go back to the Hilton - especially if it is very late. Where is Bourbon Street? Go out the hotel and walk along Canal Street - it is about 5-6 blocks away. Do go on some of the other quarter streets - Royal, Chartres, St. Peter, Decatur to give you the ambiance of New Orleans - look at the buildings, courtyards, etc. the area is just rich in history. Get up early to take the streetcar down to the garden district; liguor stores - probably even one in the Hilton - they sell liquor almost everywhere! I don't think your ship is going to let you bring it aboard, so might want to just settle for drinks instead of buying a bottle. Riverwalk used to be a better mall, with more shops that were indiginess to the area, now it is more national chains with a few local stores. You would be better off doing the quarter, garden district and maybe taking a haunted history tour the night you get in. There are tourist information stands everywhere. (sorry for any misspellings!) Have fun!

thank you so much for all of that valuable information, we will use your suggestion for dinner, and the garden district on Sat morning before we board the ship. Do you know where we need to go to get on the streetcar that will take us to the garden district? I read somewhere that there are three streetcars, do you know which one we will be looking for to see the garden district? Also you mentioned that there are shops in the french quarter, any in particular that you would recommend for some unique souveniers of New Orleans (pottery, teacup and saucer, etc)?

And do you know if it would be very difficult to walk from the Hilton to the pier? Mom can walk two-three blocks unless there would be lots of stairs, uneven pavement, etc. Thank you again for all your help. Only 9 more days until we get to see your beautiful city!

Do you know where we need to go to get on the streetcar that will take us to the garden district? I read somewhere that there are three streetcars, do you know which one we will be looking for to see the garden district? Also you mentioned that there are shops in the french quarter, any in particular that you would recommend for some unique souveniers of New Orleans (pottery, teacup and saucer, etc)?

And do you know if it would be very difficult to walk from the Hilton to the pier? Mom can walk two-three blocks unless there would be lots of stairs, uneven pavement, etc. Thank you again for all your help. Only 9 more days until we get to see your beautiful city!

You will take the St. Charles streetcar. Canal Street is the divider between the Quarter and the American section (CBD and Garden District) - just walk down Canal like you were going to Bourbon Street, but on the other side of Canal, and you will run into St. Charles. The streets change name when they cross Canal Street!

There are tons of shops in the Quarter - you will find unique souveniers in all of them. There are a few unusual type shops too ... antiques on Royal. You can easily walk from the Hilton to the pier.

New Orleans is very unique ... people that go there either see the history, the beauty, the culture and love it (and want to go back) ... or they see the dirt and the sleeze and hate it.

I happen to be one that came on vacation 20 years ago ... and then came back every year for vacation ... then moved here 12 years ago. So, I love it!

Debbie - thank you so very much for all your suggestions, it will make our short visit to New Orleans much easier. This is an odd question, but do you know of any gift shops that carry pretty tea cups and saucers? something that would be heirloom quality? I am sure we will try to hit as many stores as we can, but just thought I'd check with you.

Also if you were going to only a few places for a drink and get a taste of the nightlife, which place/places do you recommend? (Two middle aged girls not looking for any trouble)

Thank you again Debbie for your help.

All of the shops have little cups/saucers - but not the quality that you are talking about, I know several of the shops on Royal street do, though. As far as a drink - go to Pat O'Briens (on St. Peter - between Bourbon and Royal). They have a beautiful courtyard with a flaming fountain. Before Katrina - they were listed as selling the most liquor of anywhere in the world!

The Montelone Hotel has a carosel bar that is very famous as well, and they have just renovated their lounge area, very nice. They are on Royal Street at the corner of Iberville.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived